Bites

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Bites

My husband has big bites on his inner thigh, penis, and just under his scrotum.  They are itchy and painful.  Not mosquito bite. Could it be spider bites. Read up on bed bugs and  I don't think that is the answer either.  Do you have any suggestions?  Could it be baby spider bites???

This discussion is related to Insect bites on penis scrotum and leg.

It could be eczema, sweat dermatitis, allergic reactions or insect bites.

You need to wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites.

Apply calamine lotion at the site of the lesions and see if it helps. You could take some oral antihistamine medications like cetrizine or loratadine. You need to maintain a good personal hygiene .

Anti-itch drugs, often antihistamine, may reduce the itch during a flare up of eczema, and the reduced scratching in turn reduces damage and irritation to the skin.

For mild-moderate eczema a weak steroid may be used (e.g. hydrocortisone or desonide), whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid (e.g. clobetasol propionate, fluocinonide).

Eczema can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin. Moisturizing is one of the most important self-care treatments for sufferers of eczema. Keeping the affected area moistened can promote skin healing and relief of symptoms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eczema

Let us know if you need any further information.

It would be advisable to consult a skin specialist for his symptoms and a proper clinical examination.

Let us know if you need any other information and post us on how he is doing.

Regards.
sounds like chiggers.  They love tight hot moist areas, and the intense itch lasts for about 10 days.  has he been out in brush or tall grass?
Yes he is a hunter and was in the bush hunting partridge.
I washed all the bedding and his clothes in hot water to disinfect.
He woke up this morning with one bite on his arm.
He told me that the other bites started like this and then after scratching, got bigger and they now have a scab on them.
The bites look red and angry.
He bought some cream " Nix". which is for scabies.  The pharmacist's suggestion.
I looked at his bite with a magnifying glass and saw a drop of moisture in the middle of the bite.  Does that sound like chiggers????