Black Hole on Face

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Black Hole on Face

I have a small black hole on the side of my forehead, near my temple. I can sometimes squeeze some white stuff out of it, although it is definitely not acne or a blackhead. I'm 48 yrs old, have it for many years. What is this, and can I get rid of it?
The symptoms are suggestive of sebaceous cyst. A sebaceous cyst is a closed sac occurring just under the skin which contains a "pasty" or "cheesy" looking substance called keratin.They may occur anywhere on body but scalp, ears, back, face, and upper arm, are common sites for sebaceous cysts. Blocked sebaceous glands, swollen hair follicles and excessive testosterone production will cause such cysts.

Generally no treatment is required but they become painful then it means they are infected,Then surgical excision by traditional wide excision, minimal excision, and punch biopsy excision may be required.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

I have what sounds like that sebaceous cyst on my cheek, I had one surgically removed from my back last year.  As it sounds, it doesn't appear to necessary to remove it, but is it ok to cover with a little makeup ? Or will that aggravate it in some way ?