Black Mole

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Black Mole

4906455?1253831870
Hello. I'm a 22 year old male who has had above average sun exposure over the years (swimmer and lifeguard)

I am anxious regarding a dark mole on my leg and am inquiring whether or not I should request its removal.

The mole is black, and I measured its diameter at approx. 2 1/2 mm. However, it is not perfectly round as the border has some minor irregularity. I also would not regard it as perfectly symmetrical, but the variation in symmetry is only clear upon close inspection. Color is uniform. It is flat. No redness or inflammation. And diameter is less than the "pencil eraser" size typically used as a gauge. (0.2 1/2 cm) ---> 2 1/2 mm.

I have included an image although the quality is not the best. The light of the flash made the mole appear lighter in color and a little more regular in appearance than it does to my eye. The mole is flat.

In terms of skin history and hair and eye color: No history of sunburns and darker complexion on sun exposed skin. always tanned when exposed to sun. Dark brown hair. Brown eyes. Probably would rate skin type as Type IV.

Thanks for any help you can provide
From the picture and symptoms it looks like a mole. Melanoma has an irregular border, is asymmetrical, uneven color and increasing in size. If you notice changes in the mole's/mark’s color, height, size or shape, you should have a dermatologist evaluate it. You also should have it checked if it bleeds, oozes, itches, appear scaly, or become tender or painful. Otherwise it should be left as such.

I hope it helps. Take care and please do keep me posted in case you have any additional doubts. Kind regards.