Black Spots on Upper Lip

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Black Spots on Upper Lip

I have read a few entries on the board that are similar to my situation but none thoroughly explains my problem.  Ever since I was about 13 years old (I am now 18) , I have been getting one round (not completely circular), extremely dark, under the skin spot on my upper lip.  It doesn't hurt at all and it appears suddenly. I've gotten this spot maybe 5 or so times in the past 5 years but this past month it came back with a vengeance.  I recently started smoking and I got 3 spots on my lip at once; they were all black, dark, circular and under the skin and no, they WERE NOT small ... I was soo embarrassed ... So I stopped smoking after that . I haven't been smoking for about 2 months and now the spots have come back.  I am so confused and frustrated because this is definitely a blow to my confidence.  I can't talk to anybody, smile or anything without these spots being noticeable.  Whats wrong with me?
One possibility is of oral melanotic macule. It is a small, sharply circumscribed, pigmented macule surrounded by normal-appearing skin.
You cannot remove them at home. Cryosurgery using liquid nitrogen and laser are the main treatment modalities. I suggest you to get it examined from a dermatologist so as to confirm the diagnosis.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.