Dermatology Community
Black Under Big Toe Nail and then Spread to the next one?
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Black Under Big Toe Nail and then Spread to the next one?

My big toe was semi discolored and ridged before I had something dropped on it. It almost looked as though another nail was growing over my existing nail. After something dropped on it, it became loose and it started to come off. When it did, I noticed that it was very thick and looked like fungus was on it. Under that toe nail was a small portion of a new toe nail growing in under that and it had a small black spot on it. It is a little more than half way grown up on my toe but about 1/4 of it (on the top) is light purple/black. Also, it is very thick and looks like it has stopped growing half way and closed off into the skin part of my toe to soon. It is very ugly and I have never had any problems like this before.

Now, I notice that for the past week i see black showing up at the base of the toe next to it. This has got me concerned because it looks as though it is spreading. That nail looks perfectly fine except for the black mark that spans the whole bottom.

What is this and is there anything I can do to stop it- put something on it? I tried lamisil and other fungus medications but it does not seem to be helping. I do not have health insurance so I am trying to see if there is anything to worry about or anything I can do? I would appreciate any help- thanks :)