Black and blue from insect bite

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Black and blue from insect bite

Have two sites on my upper arm which are black and blue. Also, a little spreading of the bruising near the two sites.
No pain or itching, just round with a tiny dot in the middle.
What kinds of insects produce a reaction like this?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Black and blue rash or bumps may suggest that this may be a bruise or a hematoma. An insect bite is a differential of course, however these insect bites may be reddish and they may be itchy. So firstly, we have to determine if these are indeed insect bites. Bed bugs and mites may cause this however; initial skin reaction may be a reddish bump which may later present as a bluish bump due to the bite.

Are there other similar bumps or skin conditions in other parts of the body?

i have a friend who's had two bug bites which have each gotten swollen. yesterday she put hydrocortisone on them and at night took a benadryl. this morning upon awakening one was much improved and the other was black and blue. does anyone have any idea what they could be?
thanks!
Avatar_dr_f_tn

The black and blue discoloration may be due to the bite. This could be a hematoma or a form of bruising. In the absence of fever, joint pains and swollen lymph nodes I would not be very worried. Apply cool compress on the area for at least 5 minutes each day. Observe if the discolorations have improved. If not, have this assessed by a dermatologist. Small bruises should subside to a greenish or yellowish color in 3 to 5 days.

I have two bites like yours one last week and one this week.They were round with a dot in the middle and black and blue around the site. Whatever this insect is it leaves the skin black and blue. I wish I knew what it was.It was a very unusual bite.
i was bite by a bug on my leg.  it made a hugh black and blue which spread some spots of black to my other leg.  soon after i started itching like crazy, mostly at night. it got much worse after a week and it turned into a full body rash. i was given predizone for a week but while taking it i was bitten with the same black and blue again.  the itch and rash has come back and today i noticed that my girl friend was bitten with the same black and blue and the itching has started.  very scared. someone please HELP!  ANY INFORMATION WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
I live in France. Just last night I was apparently bitten by an insect.  I remember sitting outside at night around 8/9:00 and my knee area started itching like crazy. I just thought it was a few nasty mosquito bites. Around 12:00 when I undressed for bed I noticed this hot and red swollen area comprised 3 or 4 black and blue spots about an inch apart.  This area of my leg felt a bit paralysed and tender to the touch but not particularly itchy. I sprayed it with a Benedryl spray which helped. In the morning the 3 black and blue spots, the size of a dime, were darker and more distinct.  My leg is just a little swollen today.  It's a real mystery to me.
I live in nm. About 3 days ago I was pullin weeds from my front yard. I had shorts on and tennis shoes and a loose t shirt. As I was pulling weeds I felt a sting on my ankle. I looked down and it was an ant. I slapped it and killed it. The day went on and I just felt like a stinging pain. I thought nothing of it. The next day was as though I had never been bitten. The site where I saw the ant was a okay. Then the following day I felt pain and alot of itching. And the next day it's bruised like a maroon color and feels tender. Not only did I get but where I saw the ant and felt the bite, but I was also but on 2 other areas of my ankle. All bites are maroon, should I go see a doctor?
My daughter and I both got similar bites on our legs just last week.
pale in the center and black and blue around the edges.  Did you ever find out what it was?

same thing happened to me in my kitchen, felt a painful sting/bite looked down on my thigh, I was wearing a skirt, saw a red dot and it suddenly expanded into a bruise. Taking doxycyxcline for 10 days to be safe..it's been 3 days and it's still dark purple looking surrounding it. Ever figure out what it was? I had lyme disease couple years ago, but this wasn't a tick, I felt the bite and immediately looked and saw red dot, and then expansion into bruise...we were having a german cockroach problem in our kitchen..maybe a spikder was there too...I had just put my shoes on from closet, perhaps a spider was in my shoe and climbed out my leg..any idea what it could be???