Black fly bites that never heal

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Black fly bites that never heal

I am really at a loss.

A few years ago, I was bitten repeatedly by a type of black fly.  These tiny flies bit aggressively and left wounds that were fairly small, but never healed.  They just continued to fester month after month, for years.  Eventually scar tissue formed deep in the wounds and began to contract and pull painfully on the surrounding skin, and meanwhile the bite wounds were still open and festering.  Warm packs don't help, and neither do antibiotics.  Nothing the doctors prescribed was any help.

Finally I took matters into my own hands, filled a sterile insulin syringe with a solution of 3% hydrogen peroxide to which I had added 0.9% salt, and injected it into each and every bite wound, working that fine needle in and out throughout the flesh where each wound was festering.  Almost overnight the wounds stopped festering and healed over with a scar.  A few of them needed a second treatment, but it was a great relief to finally be rid of the festering pain and incessant itching of those bites.  I should probably mention, just on general principle, NEVER TRY THIS AT HOME.

But now those flies are back, and they are back with a vengeance.  I have accumulated at least a dozen of those festering fly bites again just this summer, mostly on my arms, but a few on my legs.  One of the bites (on my elbow) suddenly swelled to the size of a chicken egg, and it has festered like that for two weeks now.  These flies appear highly attracted to festering wounds, and consequently they often bite me repeatedly in the same place.

The doctor has prescribed warm packs and antibiotics, but they are not helping, and I'm at the point of repeating my former treatment which I invented out of desperation, except that I do not want to inject something harsh into my elbow for fear of damaging the joint.  So what should I do now?
Tags: fly, never heals, black fly, bite, insect bite