Black pigmentation

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Black pigmentation

hello doc.I always used razor to shave my body hair,I even used it when I was pregnant but that time I realised some black pigmentation all over my body specially in the underarms and my under thighs.please tell this is due to some infection with the razor as it itches also with the sweating or some other problem is there as it's been 2 yrs now .please advise how to cure darkness of my skin.
Tags: irritable

This black pigmentation and itching could be due to allergic reactions or frictions burns or skin abrasions or grazes secondary to the trauma.

You should avoid shaving and apply calamine lotion and some antibacterial powder at the site to help soothe the lesions.

A superadded bacterial or fungal infection would need to ruled out too.

You should consult a skin specialist at the earliest and get a proper clinical examination.

Let us know if you have any other doubts and post us about how yu are doing.

Regards.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi.

This dark pigmentation may be due to frequent rubbing of the skin as in the case of the involved areas like the armpits and the inner thighs. Discoloration of the skin may also be due to hormonal changes and irritation given frequent contact with certain irritants like using the razor for sensitive skin.

Some OTC whitening products may only cause further irritation. I suggest that you avoid applying creams and lotions over the area excessively. Application of vitamin E cream over the area will help decrease friction in these areas. It also has skin lightening properties. Stick to products with organic and hypoallergenic ingredients.
I  forgot to tell u that I got a Dry skin so my doc told me apply oilatum cream and avoid friction and direct sunlight.he says that this dark pigmentation is deep inside your skin and it will take many years to go.please tell me is that true??why it itches then with the sweating??if suppose I avoid razor then suggest me some other means for the shaving..should I keep my body skin moist or dry as I got dry skin basically for this prblem of mine.please help.
thanks.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Dry skin may lead to itchiness and small cuts and nicks on the skin which may lead to further irritation. This may lead to the hyperpigmentation. Your physician may be referring to melanocytes which are cells found in the skin responsible for the pigmentation. Sweating aggravates the condition because it further irritates the skin. The moisture will only encourage colonization and growth of bacteria. This is not something very urgent but I do understand your concern.

Apply Vitamin E cream over the area . The friction may cause further irritation. Shaving may also cause irritation especially if done in dry skin. Continue using a moisturizer so that the skin may gradually turn supple and softer. Shaving with a razor will not cause much irritation this way. Also , only use sharp razors.