Black spot under toenail

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Black spot under toenail

About 3 weeks ago I noticed a very small black dot under my big toenail. I didn't have any trauma to it and I've had bruises/bleeding under a nail before and this looks nothing like that. Its very small and solid black. It doesn't have any purple or red and it doesn't have the shape of a bruise. It almost looks like a small triangle or rectangle. It has never hurt. I went to the dermatologist about a week ago and had it tested for fungus and the test came back negative. What could this be?
Get it evaluated from a dermatologist to get subungual melanoma ruled out. Salient feature of subungual melanoma (melanoma under nail) is categorized according to ABCDEF. In this system A stands for age (peak incidence being in the 5th to 7th decades of life and African Americans, Asians, and native Americans in whom subungual melanoma accounts for up to one third of all melanoma cases. B stands for brown to black b and with breadth of 3 mm or more and variegated borders. C stands for change in the nail band or lack of change in the nail morphology despite, presumably, adequate treatment. D stands for the digit most commonly involved; E stands for extension of the pigment onto the proximal and/or lateral nailfold (ie, Hutchinson's sign); and F stands for family or personal history of dysplastic nevus or melanoma.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.