Blackened armpits

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Blackened armpits

For the last year or so my armpits have become black and the skin is very dry and itchy. some times the skin gets red and itchy as well. Often the dryness causes the skin to crack and bleed. I have tried lotions to soften the skin but they dont work. Please tell me what i should use.

thank you
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Without examination it is very difficult to confirm a diagnosis, but the symptoms are suggestive of eczema.The blackened areas are a result of scratching and lichenification of the skin. Wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites. You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin. You can take some OTC oral antihistamine medications like Benadryl or Claritin and see if it helps.

For mild-moderate eczema a weak steroid may be used (e.g. hydrocortisone as dermacort), whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid (e.g. clobetasol propionate, fluocinonide).

Eczema can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin. Use good quality moisturizers to prevent moisture loss from the skin.If still the symptoms do not improve then pls get a clinical examination done by a dermatologist.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing and if you have any additional queries.