Blackhead on my lip causes herpes

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Blackhead on my lip causes herpes

I have a blackhead on my upper lip line and I am afraid to pop it. Last time I had a blackhead like this on my lower lipline, I popped it and i had a herpes outbreak that followed it. I had never had herpes before, and popping this blackhead caused a herpes reaction. So now I have this same blackhead on my upper lip and I don't want it to break out. What do I do?
You are having a blackhead on the upper lip line. Cleanse the area thoroughly and apply a good mild exfoliating scrub on that. Apply a medicated cream or gel containing resorcinol, salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide. This helps is soaking the oil and helps in peeling away the blackheads. If benzoyl peroxide leaves your skin dry, apply an oil-free moisturizer after 10 mins of applying benzoyl peroxide.

If the symptoms still persist then consult a dermatologist. Blackhead does not lead to herpes infection which is a viral infection and blackhead is caused by excess oils that have accumulated in the sebaceous gland's duct.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.