Bleeding under the skin
I started bleeding under the skin on the top of my forearms ONLY, in January 2011. First in small specks only, but later large blotches like in the photo. It happens very quickly, within 30 minutes or so, but takes at least 3 weeks to dissappear. No pain, no itching, no dryness. It dissappeared for a month, but I just had another bleeding. It looks very unsightly and I don't want to wear short-sleeved shirts. Any ideas, please?
Possibly 'Senile purura' .(Kindly excuse terminolgy, you are but mid-age! ). You have to get your blood tests to make sure it is nothing else.
Thanks for your comment. No offence taken!  :-) I must say this seems to be a possibility. I cannot find any pics anywhere that looks similar to the ones on my arms. I do suspect that there might be an underlying condition, like liver or kidney problems? I used to be a heavy drinker most of my life, but have thankfully stopped taking any alcohol since January this year.
Indeed liver is the manufacturing place for fibrinogen protein involved in blood clotting. However since this is more a localized problem less likely so.But do get your blood profile done to be sure.
Anemia and deficiency of vitamins C, K, B12, or folic acid are the common causes of easy bruisability. Try taking iron tablets and multivitamins for some days and see if the symptoms improve.
If the symptoms do not improve, get yourself evaluated by a physician and look out for SLE, bone marrow disorders, liver diseases or leukemias. Anti-clotting (anti-coagulants) medication also can cause increased bruising. So just check if you are taking them.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thank you so much for your reply. I would like to add a few points:
The marks are not bruises due to injury or trauma, but spontaneous bleeding under or into the skin.
I am also experiencing the following symptoms and signs: Mild memeory loss, forgetfullness, confusion, moderate fatigue, mild headaches (never had before), mild dizzyness when walking or moving, mild depression (feeling of having nothing to live for, although not suicidal). Dreaming every night.

Hypertension (controlled)

Additionally but not necessarily linked, long-term GERD, post-nasal drip, rhinitus and more recently, itching in the throat followed by coughing.

Also more recently, stomach pains (not cramping) / fullness /discomfort, difficulty in passing stool and wind. Internal haemorroid/tightness just inside the anus.

Forgive me, these seems to be 3 different problems, but my main concern is the bleeding.

I will not be able go for a medical checkup before January 2012, hence my posts here. Thanks.
If you are having spontaneous bleeding under the skin then there’s a high possibility that your bleeding profile is deranged. Please get the bleeding profile and prothrombin time/INR done. I sincerely advise you to consult a hematologist and get your coagulation profile and liver function tests investigated. You also need a complete blood count and platelet count and levels of vitamin C, K B12 and folic acid.

Thanks again for your comments. I have received an email to vote for the best comment, but am unable to find where I should vote. Whilst I would rate you, and this site very highly, I do think it is not the most user-friendly site for navigating. Even to find my own post with all your comments   Involves a cumbersome search.

However, I will be seeing a hematologist on the 30th of this month, and promise to supply feedback...
You seemed to have been spot on, Maatsen! I saw a hematologist who did all the bloodtests and my blood is perfectly normal. Red- and white bloodcells, platelets, everything normal. Kidneys, liver, etc. normal. He diagnosed senile purpura. I am very relieved, although now I am having to put up with an ugly skin. I am taking iron supplements. Anybody know of any creams, lotions that can assist in the healing?

Once again thanks to all for feedback!
Thank the almighty or nature! Very happy to know that after all it is not such a big problem to recon with. Just continue with suppliments and continue minus alchohol.
Best wishes.
I have the same situation with forearms and lower legs. Today, I went for knee injections and told the PA that I've been to every doctor I could think of and did she have any ideas. She suggested that I see a HEMATOLOGIST.

So, I thank you for advising the same and I am going to make an appointment on Monday.

I think that it is wonderful that a doctor, such as yourself, takes the time to give freely your advice. After all the money I have spent to no avail, I commend you for sharing your expertise.

Kathy