Dermatology Expert Forum
Blister-like Rash on upper body

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Blister-like Rash on upper body

My husband has a blister-like, itchy, red rash on his upper body only. It almost looks like chicken-pox in the intitial stages. He also has some on his chest, stomach, and recently on outer arms and forearms. Sometimes, they are small, but some are alittle smaller than an dime, slightly raised, outer edges seem very inflamed. The next stage, they seem to dry up, but more appear. It seems to be a pretty constant cycle. He has had this off/on for a couple of years. He went to a dermotologist a few months ago. I wasn't there, however, she said it was some sort of "transient" (we have moved from MN, to CA, and now AZ in past 5 yrs)skin condition, common in men over 40, not to worry, and prescribed bacitratin. The prescribed medication had no affect, so we have been using hydrocortisone 1%, and the cortaid spray with limited results. I have recommended he see our family Dr. There must be a reason, for this. He has no allergies(that we are aware of),we haven't changed anything, other than geographical. Any information would be helpful, thanks!
Cindy:

You don't mention thr extent to which your husband is made uncomfortable by the rash, other than its appearance.  I know that like most people, you want an explanation for why a rash like this should happen (water, environment, food, etc.), but the fact is that such explanations are often not forthcoming.  You should ask your dermatologist if a biopsy might help clarify the condition.  If he or she tells you that the rash is not contagious and you just have to wait it out, you may have to be prepared to accept this.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
I work with cement and I have a rash on my hands,legs/nose,butt.  Do you think it's cemecal reaction.The rash is raw blister type rash and itches very much.The rash dry and cracks brun hurts
Maybe it's Sun related. My daughter has polymorphouis light eurptions.It sounds like your reaction with the rash, it's on the areas exposed to the sun. forearms face.