Blister-like rash over body, Herpes?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Blister-like rash over body, Herpes?

I recently had sex with a new partner, and afterward got a rash on my buttocks (but not on my genitals). The rash was like a bunch of pimples, or blisters (but pus would come out of them sometimes).

The little blisters then started popping up elsewhere -- my ear, thighs, calves, my head (under my hear) and face. I actually think there is one even under my nail! I recently cut my lip while flossing (dry lips!) and it has turned into a gross sore -- could this be a cold sore? Do you think it's related to this other outbreak?

Does it sound like Herpes or yeast, or some sort of infection? Again, it's not on my genitals, and I thought Herpes could only grow on mucous membranes, but maybe I'm wrong... If you have any suggestions for treatment I'd appreciate it so much. I can't get a doctor's appointment for a few weeks and I feel so gross with this rash!

Thanks again,

Char
Sounds like stress, definitely not herpes. Nerves can cause bumps to pop up everywhere, along with itching.
Herpes would take a couple days and would be localized.
I cannot confirm anything without examination but it can be folliculitis. Please keep the area clean and apply some topical antiseptics. Also wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and use an antibacterial soap or mild soap like dove. Avoid any kind of cosmetics. Topical antibiotics such as mupirocin or neomycin containing ointment are also useful. In case the symptoms persist then oral antibiotics may be needed. Please consult a dermatologist in that case. I hope it helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing or in case you have any additional doubts. Kind regards.

I wasn't able to book an appointment with my family doctor for a few weeks, so I spent the day at the walk-in. Anyway, it turns out to be impetigo! (Not very fun!) I have a prescription for anitbiotics and a cream.

It is very uncomfortable, and from what I understand, highly contagious. Do you have any advice about minimizing the spread? I'm wearing clean clothes, and using clean sheets, clean towels, etc. I've also been avoiding makeup and scratching the sores but every time I accidentally bump one I'm afraid it's going to spread!

Should I avoid going to class tomorrow, and instead work from home? How long after starting the antibiotics will the sores start to heal? When will I stop being contagious? How long can the bacteria live outside the body? I imagine I should throw out all the make up I've been using... (I've been disinfecting my computer and telephone but when is enough, enough?)

My sexual partner has a similar rash, but his has mostly healed, although it seems to be taking a long time. I told him I have impetigo, and he likely does to (I'm fairly certain I caught it from him! He had some red bumps on his cheek that at the time I thought was razor burn...). Should he get antibiotics as well? I don't want to get impetigo again the next time we are together.

Thanks so much for your help. It's greatly appreciated.
Impetigo is a superficial skin infection caused by staph aureus. It is highly contagious and you are advised to refrain from any physical contact with others. Adopt good hygiene, use soap and water to clean at regular intervals, use paper towels for hand drying and wash your linen and towels in good disinfectants and dry them in sun. Also stay indoors for a few days to stop any bacteria from getting into the blisters and making the infections worse. There can be a relapse in 6-9 months but adequate hygiene and avoiding contact with persons suffering from impetigo may also help.
I hope it helps. Take care and regards.