Dermatology Expert Forum
Blisters on Fingers

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Blisters on Fingers

I get blisters on the same two fingers from time to time...probably every few months or more.  It is my middle finger on my left hand and my ring finger on my right hand.  They start out beneath the surface of my skin and appear to be brown until they get to the surface.  When they get to the surface, they bubble up and when they burst, clear fluid comes out.  When they heal, my skin becomes red and very sensitive until the skin grows back.  This is very annoying to me and very uncomfortable when it happens.  What are they and what can/should I do? Thanks.
It sounds like dyshidrotic eczema.  This is a mild and nonallergic condition that prodcues little bubbles on the fingers and palms.  The cause is unknown.  If it isn't bothersome, you don't have to treat it, but if it is troubling you, your doctor can prescribe a cortisone-containing cream to heal the blisters faster when they come.  Prevention, however, is not possible so far as I know.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
I also get these blisters.  They usually itch,  I get them on my toes sometimes as well as my fingers.  I got a shot of cortisone years ago and had no symptoms for about 5 years.  Now they are back.  Not on my toes but on my palms and fingers.  I never had the palm thing before so it is nice to see that I am not the only one.  Try asking for a cortisone shot.  The last one I got was in my butt, and 5 motnhs later ther is still what looks like a bruise but it worked for the 5 months or so.
A related discussion, herbal medicine for eczema was started.
A related discussion, water blisters on hands was started.