Blisters on face and scalp

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Blisters on face and scalp

I have blisters on my face and scalp that are not acne. The only way to describe them is like the blisters you get on your feet from wearing new shoes. The ones on my face & scalp are small red blisters, and when popped, are raw underneath. It is clear fluid that comes out but then they dry up, become scaley and slightly itch but continue to have "puss" coming from them. They appear under my nose, my chin and around my mouth and everywhere on my scalp. They sometimes last over a month and leave scars once healed. What causes them and how do I treat them to keep from getting scars?

This could be seborrhoeic dermatitis. It is a skin disorder affecting the scalp, face, and trunk causing scaly, flaky, itchy, red skin. It particularly affects the sebum-gland rich areas of skin.

Side effects to inflammation may include temporary hair loss. If severe outbreaks are untreated for extended intervals, permanent hair loss may result, because of damage to hair follicles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seborrhoeic_dermatitis

Soaps and detergents such as sodium laureate sulfate may precipitate a flare-up, as they strip moisture from the top layers of the skin, and the drying property of these can cause flare-ups and may worsen the condition. Accordingly a suitable alternative should be used instead.

Among dermatologist recommended treatments are shampoos containing coal tar, ciclopiroxolamine, ketoconazole, selenium sulfide, or zinc pyrithione. For severe disease, keratolytics such as salicylic acid or coal tar preparations may be used to remove dense scale. Topical terbinafine solution (1%) has also been shown to be effective in the treatment of scalp seborrhoea,as may lotions containing alpha hydroxy acids or corticosteroids (such as fluocinolone acetonide). Pimecrolimus topical lotion is also sometimes prescribed.

It would be advisable to consult a skin specialist for his symptoms and a proper clinical examination if the symptoms persist.

Let us know if you need any other information and post us on how you are doing.

Regards.