My seven year old son has blisters that pop and become very itchy on the top outside of his ears. This is the 3rd year in a row it has happened. We first thought it was from the sun but I am thinking that it is not because he spends time outside in the winter with no problems to his ears. It seems to be a spring and summer thing. He is so miserable with his ears and I am not sure what to do or what it could be? Any ideas?
Sounds to me like it could still be the sun. It tends to be much harsher in the spring and especially the summer. Every summer when I go to the beach, the tops of my ears are always the first thing to burn if I don't use sunscreen, and I get horrible peeling and itchy blisters, but I never have this problem when I am outside during the winter. Even if there is another underlying problem with your son's ears, using sunscreen will ensure that the sun does not exacerbate the problem.
I'm no expert, but I suppose it could be an allergy to something that blooms in the summer or to certain chemicals used on grass or in gardens. Why it would only manifest on his ears is a mystery to me. :/ If the sunscreen doesn't help, you should probably ask his doctor.
Just recently my son has had "blisters" pop up on top of both of his ears. Looks like a bad sunburn, but this isn't the time of the year for bad burns (plus he is outside all of the time and has never had a problem like this in the past). He also has red hot ears all of the time. My concern brought me to these boards. Maybe it is a dairy allergy and am considering cutting it out and see what happens, but in the meantime, I think I need to ask my doctor to run allergy tests.
My son has just begun the same problem. I have no idea what it is and it has me a little worried. Did you find out anything? He has never had a problem before with sunburns or anything. Thank you for your help.
My 5yr old son has the same problem and today it seems much worse. It looks like tiny little blisters under the skin on the tips of his ears and they are also red and itchy. It first occured about 2 years ago but has never disappeared. I think I will ask the doctor.
I am certainly not a child, but I too recently experienced the same experience that many of you here have posted.
I drove out to the Desert this weekend and spent lots of time in the water, at night, and a little during the day.
The day after I came back I noticed two long spots, whitish/yellowish in color. No discharge whatsoever. I noticed my left ear (same ear described as above) was a lot more red and swollen than my right ear.
I did not burn anywhere else, only my (left ear). It was not particularly a hot day, but I do believe the combination of my two hour drive to and from the desert, with the minerals water may have contributed to it.
I put Aloe and A&D last night, and it seemed to have cooled off my skin.
Today when I woke up, I noticed those same spots become rather swollen, as if they are about to pop/burst, similar to a blister.
My ear does not hurt anymore, as it did yesterday. I believe the Aloe helped with that.
Today, instead of using the Aloe (from the bottle) that I used yesterday, I cut a fresh aloe plant and placed it on my ear, then wrapped a piece of cloth around my head, to keep the aloe in place.
The plant felt so much better then anything else. If you don't have an Aloe plant, a pure aloe lotion should do the trick (Trader Joe's) sells it.
I forgot to mention I called my doctor and described the symptoms, he said it sounds like a burn. He told me it should be fine, but if it starts to hurt, I should come in.
I also text the picture to my friend who is a nurse. By the looks of it, she believed it was a burn as well, and she said when it's white like that, it could indicate an infection.
I tend to burn easily so next time, sunblock on my ears as well.
My five year old son is having some of the same symptoms. Red hot ears with tiny little blisters. This has been happening for at least a few years around this time of year. Weird that this seems to be happening in boys?? We too thought at first that it could be the sun but we spend a LOT of time outside and it doesnt' seem to happen in the summer, weird!
my 7 year old son has the same condition its called juvenile spring eruption there is some info on the internet
took my boy to docters today and he says its a rare condition and can sometimes be linked to asthma or heyfever hes given him some cream to stop the itching but apparently he will get it every year untill he grows out off it in his teenage years
My 8 yr old son has had this for three yrs. This is the second time this year however we were on vacation in Florida when it came the first time and now here at home its about the same temperature as it was there now and he does have asthma so your post is the first to make sense. His doctor also gives him a steroid cream and I spray all headphones and hats with Lysol
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.