Dermatology Expert Forum
Blistery Rash Under the Nose

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Blistery Rash Under the Nose

I have a nasty red rash under my nose which has been ongoing for at least six months now and remember suffering the same thing when I was about 19years old.
It looks like tiny blisters under the right nostril and just inside.  It has just started appearing under the left nostril as well and down towards my top lip in a separate group of blisters.
I am now 32 years old and thought that it may have been rosacea but the rosacea I was suffering seems to have died down alot since having my second child.
I have been using Diprosone ointment 0.05% (prescribed in Australia for my rosacea) which (when used all the time) seems to have kept it from breaking out but a recent weekend trip away I forgot to take it along and now it is the worst I have ever seen it.
A friend told me it could be a staph infection because it looks like it is spreading down from my nose to the top lip and there is a small patch on my forehead as well.
Please help - I am afraid to go out looking this ugly and am living in a tiny town where the medical system is not really great.

I have a tube of Betnovate cream (betamethasone valerate cream) which I am using for the granuloma annulare I have over my arms and legs but I think I remember being told NOT to use it on my face.  Could you please confirm.

Photo posted at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21032937@N05/2047736955/

Tags: diprosone
You have steroid rosacea.  By using a strong steroid on your face, you have "hooked" your skin on steroids, so that it flares badly as soon as you stop.  Still, no permanent damage has been done.  You should see a dermatologist who will:
1.  Tell you to stay away from all steroids on your face
2. Prescribe oral doxycycline or the equivalent and an external antibiotic.

In a few weeks you should be good as new.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
Oh!
I forgot to ask as well - could it be contagious as I have a baby that is constantly touching me on the face and nose etc.
Sounds like she has perioral dermatitis to me. Treatment is tetracycline for around 8wks.
A related discussion, Red blisters under and inside nose was started.