Dermatology Expert Forum
Blood Vessels

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Blood Vessels

A couple of years ago I noticed an oddly shaped spot on my lower back. It was irregularly shaped and about the size of my pinky fingernail. I went to the doctor to have it checked and he said that it was a blood vessel and not to worry about it. Since then another small similar spot has appeared further up on my back.

Is there anything to worry about? The newest spot is much smaller than the first. The first spot changes color every so often. It is a bit raised from the skin and slightly sensitive to the touch. What caused these spots? Is there any way to get rid of them? They aren't too much of a problem now, but I don't really want to get any more.

Thanks!
People get many kinds of spots.  Some are called "angiomas"--benign collections of blood vessels.  These are hereditary, start appearing in the 20's and 30's on the chest and back.  I'm not sure if your red spots are this variety, but even if they aren't, removal should be quite simple if you want them gone.  I'd concult a dermatologist who should be able to make a proper diagnosis, and remove them by electrodesiccation (using an electric needle.)  This is simple, almost painless, and doesn';t scar.

The skin doctor can also tell you whether your particular spots are the kind likely to have friends join them over the years or not.  Prevention may not be possible, but treatment every couple of years may be simple enough.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
i have small red raised bump that blanches when
pressure is applyed, on the top of my hand,
it has been there for yr, and just recently became
raised , now one on my face , and noticed some on legs
they r small flat needle small red spots
my doc says dont worry, but i am ! please help!!