Boil in pubic area that wont go away

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Boil in pubic area that wont go away

5571841?1271269833
I have had a boil for over two weeks now that almost goes away but then comes back.  It pops but never all the way.  Even when I hot compress it it never fully drains.  I ride a bicycle a lot and thought the irritation was from that so I took a week off and it is still there.  It is very painful, what should I do?  I don't have insurance so to go to a doctor which one?  dermatologist, gy?  I have had one in the exact same spot in previous years but it always goes away after a couple days.  This one lingers!
  • A hard bump on my ballsack? (1 replies):
    Hi I just noticed today I have a small pimple size bump ...[more]
  • in pain (1 replies):
    i have a very painful ingrown hair on my bikini area and...[more]
  • hi (1 replies):
    i have a knot where my public hair starts it wasnt there...[more]
  • Boils (1 replies):
    I have a raised lump under my breast. It is extremely pa...[more]
  • Boil? (1 replies):
    It started like a red pustule, after a few days it devel...[more]
From the symptoms it looks like a boil. A boil generally starts as a reddened, tender area. Over time, the area becomes firm and hard. Eventually, the center of the abscess softens and becomes filled with pus. Finally, the pus "forms a head," which can be surgically opened or spontaneously drain out through the surface of the skin.

Apply warm compresses and some topical antiseptics. Also wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and use an antibacterial soap or mild soap like dove. Avoid any kind of cosmetics. Topical antibiotics such as mupirocin or Neosporin cream can be used. But an oral course of antibiotics after incision and drainage is also required.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thank you for the advice.  It looks like I will have to resort to antibiotic as it is still not going away.  It almost went away and then came back and this has been the story for over a month now.  I think it gets aggravated because of the location.  I do not have insurance is it possible to go to a pharmacy and get antibiotics or do I have to go to the doctor?  Thanks.
Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers