Dermatology Expert Forum
Boil on My Nose...

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Boil on My Nose...

I'm having an issue I'm hoping you can help me with.  About three or four months ago, I developed (what I believe to be) a boil on my nose, on one side, over the nostril.  It was painful, but with warm compresses it finally surfaced and drained after 2-3 days.

The swelling went down - about 90-95% - but it appears it never totally went away - and I have this swollen area there now, where the boil had been - about 1cm wide and 2cm in length, and perhaps 1mm high; running parallel to the bridge of my nose.  I'm concerned because at times it feels like it's starting to become (more) infected and grow - other times it's ok - but it's never gone away fully - and it seems like it's one large mass, just beneath the surface of my skin (sort of like a shallow abscess).

I'm currently unemployed - without health insurance - so I would love it if I could knock this down myself.  I really don't need this when I'm heading in for job interviews...

I've read other posts where you've suggested hibiclens and bacitracin to kill the bacteria since its OTC - would you suggest it here as well?  What about PhisHex and Bactroban - are they OTC?  I tried calling my dermatologist
After an abscess goes away, there is often a lump under the skin.  This represents healing tissue, not ongoing infection.  It may last for moths.  If you keep squeezing it to see how it's doing, it lasts for a lot longer.

I think the best thing for you to do is nothing.  If it doesn't hurt, just let the lumpy feeling take care of itself.  Of course, having someone look at it would be reassuring, but if you can't afford that, I see no harm in your waiting it out.  Should it worsen or hurt--no reason to expect that, but if it happens, see a doctor then.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
i beleive i once had the same thing
mine took about 3 months to FULLY go down but it was never drained
and i felt alittle bump for weeks after
it takes time i think
thats the only help i can offer sorry
Thanks for your response.  Would it hurt the situation to use the Hibiclens and/or bacitracin?

Thanks,
//sse
No, they would be OK.

Dr. Rockoff
I don't know if this will help your situation, because my solution to my experience with boils sounds bizarre.  Over a 2 month period I had 17 boils in different areas.  I would go to the doctor and get them treated and soon more would show up.  
Someone told me this was a symptom of toxicity in my body and that a colonic would help.
After the colonic all the boils went away and I haven't had another one since.
Good luck to you.
A related discussion, boils was started.