Dermatology Expert Forum
Break Out

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Break Out

In the morning I take a shower, and when I come out my nose appears all flaky and as if the skin is "dead".  I put a daily protection moisturizer on it and the appearance seems to go away.  However, I have done this for a couple of days and the dead skin still appears after a shower.  Also, recetly I noticed a whitehead on my nose the could easily be squeezed off so I did, and then it seemed as if 5 other white heads appeard to the surface.  This same thing is happening all over my nose and check.  Like a conoly of whiteheads!! I was at the doctor a few weeks ago for a regular checkup, and he gave me "Erythromycin (3%) and Benzoyl Peroxicde(5%) Topical Gel"  Will this work on the area.  I also made an appointment to see a dermatologist, but this I hope this will give me some peace of mind.  This is my first time with a real breakout as I just get an occasional pimple.

From what I read, I think the dead skin on my nose is clogging the pores causing these whitehead, sound correct?

How do I remove the dead skin from my nose??

Please do not remove what you are calling dead skin from your nose.  Also, please do not remove anything else from your nose, such as a whitehead.   Removing things yourself causes only irritation and confusion.  Dead skin does not clog pores.  I suspect you have dry skin, not dead skin.  While you wait to see the dermatologist, use a mild moisturizer like Vaseline Intensive Care.  A visit to an esthetician for a facial may also be a good idea.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
To add to my original question...

The skin area between my eyebrows and above my noes is also starting to peel.  Should I get some sort of exfolicator (not sure on spelling) and use it on my entire face?
You may also have seborrheic dermatitis, a mild inflammation common around the nose.  Try 1% hydrocortisone cream (OTC) on the "dead skin" for a few days, and let the dermatologist you see know whether it helped.

Dr. Rockoff
Thanks for the reply... However, what about the whiteheads, its as if they exist under the skin?  If I were to slightly pinch an area on my nose they will appear as if coming to the surface.  Also, I have not removed any of the flaky skin, just the one whithead.
I am 32 it started about a year and a half ago I've been getting huge bumps (pimple like) on my face. They grow very big and when, and if they pop( a month or so), a really large amount of puss comes out of them. What is it and how can I stop it. please help DOC
Hey, i was wanting to know if you  know why i have oily skin,flaky, and irritated skin, and the make up i put on looks good till about 4 hours later then when i put more on it looks terrible. Are they anything for this to help? Ive tried proactiv solution.. HELP!!! LOL