Brown Patch of dry skin

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Brown Patch of dry skin

I am a 31 year old male. I have developed a light brown patch of skin (slightly lighter than the skin around it). The patch has been there for about 3-4 years and is located on my right temple. I do not have any other patches anywhere. The skin inside the patch is dry, flaky and does not go away with lotion. The dryness seems like it goes pretty deep into the skin, like it would bleed easily if I picked at it. I am unsure what it is and hope that maybe you can give me some possible diagnosis. I am currently dealing with some other medical issues, so I put this problem on the back burner. Any help would be great.
Thank you
eric
Avatar_dr_f_tn

A patch of skin described to be scaly and considered to be lighter than other parts of the body may be a case of psoriasis, seborrheic dermatitis or a fungal infection.

You have had this for years and the appearance and character of the rash remain the same. This may not need prompt intervention. If this has not been evaluated by a doctor yet, I suggest that you have this evaluated. If this is a fungal infection, there are readily available topical medications that may help.

Is the rash persistent? That is , has it  never resolved or is it something intermittent? That is , the  condition resolves and recurs from time to time?

Are there any similar skin conditions in other parts of the body?

Any exposure to persons with fungal infections?

Any redness or itchiness in the area?

Any bleeding when the flakes are removed?
Thank you for your prompt response. The rash is persistent and is always there. It never goes away. This one patch is the only place I have ever had this. I am not sure of exposure to other persons with fungal infections as I was in the military when this occurred. It is not itchy or irritated, and I don't really pick at it because it feels as if it will bleed if I do, however I have never bled from there after scratching. I mis-spoke in my first submittal. The patch is slightly darker, not lighter. Sorry.
Thank you for your help
Eric
Hello Eric,

That sound very similar to my thing on my face.  Did you ever go to the doc?  

Jason