Brown skin under my underarms and belly.

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

My armpits are completely brown and have been for a couple of years, however in the past few months there have been brown spots that seem to be spreading from my armpits.  There are also a couple of brown spots under my breasts along my bra line.  And in the past month I have notices under my belly (i am overweight) there has been this growing patch of brown skin.  It is not spots like what is spreading from my armpits, it is just solid light brown.  It has grown from a small area and now it is starting to be on the inside of my thighs.  It looks dry and most of the time it does not itch.  The brown skin and spots under my arms never itches, however sometimes the brown skin under my belly will itch.  It is very unsightly.  I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you.
i have the same exact problem. i have these really big brown patches under my skin that is starting to spread and  i also have them unfer my braw line on my breasts. do you know what it is?
im 17 and i have the same thing. i have a dark brown spot on my stomach. its spreding around my neck and its on the back of my neck i have it between my breasts and my bra line and when i get warm it itches. i go to the doctor Friday so im going to sign back onto this and let you guys know what it could be. i am overweight for my age and my ex boyfriend has it and he is overwieght for his age to. i have had biopsys done and been on many creams. i will be sure to get back to you.
I have had the same problem for years. I keep going to the Doctor and all say the same thing(It is a yeast investion) in the boold stearm.
So, you will need to go to the doctor and get the pink pill (you take this by mouth) you this it will go away but, mine keeps coming back! Also, wash with salson blue shampoo. This will help it stay away for awhile.

A friend
i have the exact same problem im a female and weigh 130 it dosent seem to ich or anything i have it all on my stomach and also my bra line and my neck i get immbaress some time cuz i feel likke i have to be covered up all the time i whent to my doctor and she told me it could be a sign of diabetes....is it true thow

Hey I have the exact same problem on my armpits. It's also under my breasts and one spot in the middle of my stomach, also on my neck. My older sister also has it and so does my friend. We're all overweight. My sister's dermatologist said it's just from being overweight and it could be a sign of onset diabetes. That's freaky. Is there a way to actually get rid of it? I dunno. I just scrub it really hard with soap in the shower and it helps dim the coloration but it continues to get darker anyway.
Hi. I have the same problem, and just this morning I went to my dermatologist and (slightly) figured out what it is.

I'm 16 years old and and also over weight.

Last time I went with my derm she said it was some type of yeast infection, but now it's related to diabetes.

The patches of brown spots started on my bra line then traveled straight down to above my belly button. It also spread to under my underarms, it's forming on my neck, and I have a cluster on the right side of my waist. I saw some on my thighs a while ago and I have little clusters of about five spots around my back. I've also noticed a little dot near the inside of my elbow, which means it's spreading AGAIN.

I started off with a couple little spots and now they are just clusters.

After I'm done showering or if my skin is moist I can rub the patches and make some of the dead skin come off, but my skin gets really red from all the rubbing I have to do to see just a little bit of progress.

This morning my dermatologist told me that my spots, irregular mesturation, and excessive facial hair are all likned to my mom having diabetes. (Yes, I happen to have all those problems.) My mom doesnt undestand how though, since she didnt have diabetes when I was born.

I cant really recall what the name of the problem was but she did give me some things that could help.

One of them was ZNP bar, a soap bar that can reduce the sight of sebborheic dermatitis. (It also helps with dandruff since it's an all-over soap bar.)

The other prescrition was Extina Foam which also treats Seb- Der. It's light, foamy and not sticky when you apply it. I got a sample this morning and already tried it on. I just have to see what the results will be.

I'm sure it's not Sebborheic Dermatitis though, because I've seen pictures of was Seb- Der looks like and it looks much more severe than what I have.

I'm a little discouraged that they may not work because I'm sure I dont have Seb- Der, but I want to keep my hopes up.

I also got a blood test done and will be called to see if it's something worse or if I'll need to take a pill that can help with my brown clusters.

I hope this helped you and good luck to you all with finding something that can treat what we all have.
Look up Acanthosis Nigricans. It's darkened patches of skin on the body, especially on the neck, underarms, groin, and under the breast areas. It's usually a symptom of Diabetes, insulin resistance, Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrome(PCOS), and obesity. Hope this helps!
I am not overweight and have brown skin, on my tummy, back, breasts and armpits, Ive been to the doctor and been prescribed creams but nothing has worked. Its so annoying and gets very itchy if I dont put cream on. Please somebody help me, Im going back to the doctor next week, she will probably prescribe me another sort of cream, Im sick of it!!
I have the same thing.  I am overweight and was diagnosed with diabetes in Jan of 07.  Over the 3 years i have been weened off the 4 shots of insulin that I took and do not take any oral medications for diabetes anymore.  I also have these spots under my arms and the back of my neck.  i can't get rid of them and dont know what they are.  I did have them before i was diagnosed and they went away for 2 years.  They are coming back again.  My A1C is climbing and I believe that is why the spots are coming back as well.

Dr.s advice is always the same.  Drink lots of water, exercise and eat properly.  
okay please help! ime a 16 year old male that had these described spots on my stomach  armpits and a bit  on the back of my neck , i am not overweight at all and these spots do not itch and do not come off no matter how hard i scrub, they look ugly please help
u can contact me @ ***@**** because i am desperate my father passed away and my mom makes little to no money  and we do not have insurance to go to the doctor :'(
please help anyone
I have this too!  PLEASE HELP!

I have clusters of brown splotchy skin under my arms and it has appeared recently under my bra line and over my belly button.  This comes and goes, and even disappeared for a few months this winter completely, but now it has shown up again.  I scrub it in the shower and put lotion on it every day, but nothing seems to help.  It isn't irritated or itchy but the skin is a slightly different texture, and almost looks like dry skin, but it is a light brown color.  I am 17 and 130 pounds and consider myself to be in good shape, I don't know what this is related to but if anyone has insight it would be of great help! thanks!  After I visit the dermatologist I'll share what I've learned.

-Rochester, MN
I am a sixteen year old girl and have exactly the same thing.
I am really worried, and I am not over weight. They are light brown dry blotches under my armpits and around my neck.

I am currently trying cream. I am just so worried :\
I am 24 years old. I have always had an ongoing struggle with yeast/fungal related issues since i was a very small child. I was a little on the chunky side when i went through puberty, and as i began wearing bra's, i noticed that my sweat would actually dye fabric a pinkish color. my sister also had this strange problem. We did not have healthcare for a long time, until after i had become about 16-17 i had leveled out in my weight, and was somewhat on the thin side, i was able to go to the doctor. By this time i had started to develop strange brown spotting between my breasts. when i would scratch at them in the shower, they seemed to have a lot of dead skin that would come off. They were not spreading at this time, and i was curious as to what they were... it was almost as if i had gotten a strange uneven blotchy tan just in my cleavage area. The doctor told me she thought it was possibly related to diabetes, and scheduled me for a series of blood tests. They diagnosed me as pre-diabetic. So, i figured i would just have to live with it, and hope i didn't become diabetic as i got older.

3-4 years later, I became pregnant, and regained healthcare. I had them test me for Diabetes, because i informed them that i had been diagnosed as pre-diabetic when i was younger...they tested, and came up negative. They said I wasn't even pre-diabetic. I told my doctor about the brown spots between my breasts, and he said to use selson blue on it, that it was a yeast thing... so i did. which made some sense to me, since when i was a kid i had problems with yeast/fungal things. It would burn slightly and made it flake some, but it did not go away. I then lost health coverage again.

Now, 3 years later I have noticed it is spreading... i now have a trail of it going down my belly, almost to my belly button. My husband does not have it, nor my 3 year old daughter...so i do not think it is contagious.

Now I am pregnant again..and health coverage again! so, i am going to re-attempt figuring out what exactly this thing is. I looked at the images of Acanthosis Nigricans, and they do seem to be an extreme version of whati have, however i began getting them when i was thin, not fat. AND i was diagnosed as pre-diabetic, but am now not even pre-diabetic... i don't understand!! i see a pattern between myself and all the people on here, but no one seems to understand WHY we really have it, or HOW to get rid of it. good luck to all, and perhaps i have been a little help to someone else by telling my personal experience.

the spots are a fungal infection from spores in the air. starting from a spot that grows bigger, eventually spreading in small clusters all over. including on your head if you find it to be itchy at times. you need an anti fungal cream called miconazole cream with hydroquartizone. you will need a large supply of the stuff if it has spread in many places over the body as they only come in the tiniest tubes and run out in a day or two. as for having it on the head and body, there is a body wash over the counter that comes about 4 sachets per packet and is about 30dollars over the counter. you will probably need both topical remedies, as this fungal infection is soo hard to get rid of and doctors are so difficult in prescribing more than 3 tubes of it. the brown armpits is Acanthosis Nigricans. notice you also have slighty dark fingertips below your nail? or any creases in your body are slighty brown, use a mirror and look at the back of your neck to check and see if it is slightly brown. the fungal infection has a bit to do with being over weight as well as you tend to sweat more and.
the spots will eventually seep water under them when they get irritated by some soaps and perfumes etc, when they get red and itcy like this they are very uncomfortable, and require the anti fungal cream asap, and also it is contagious, if you share clothes with your firends etc, untill you get rid of the spots, and make sure all of your clothing is washed daily and completely dried, as this is part of the cause of this condition, and living in damp homes often makes the spots worse and more irritated.

miconazole cream H

and hydroquartizone will help, daktozin is also an anti fungal cream for babys and nappy rash associated with fungal infections, if you have some lying around the house use it and you will see as this has the hydroquartizone in it as well as buying micreme or Tinea Resolve will do the same trick.
talk to your doctor about the Acanthosis Nigricans, for the brown armpits etc, but all in all both these problems we are suffering from is from being over weight, if we target this we will target many of our health problems, but untill we are able to sort this we shall find remedies for our fungal and Acanthosis Nigricans conditions!!
I started getting my first brown spot on my left breast at 23 when I was severely underweight. I got tested for diabetes, wasn't that. I was told to use Selsun Blue, it did nothing. It continued to gradually grow larger. I have/had(?) Endometrios and was seeing a doctor a couple of times a month and always tried to get the skin thing addressed as well. (2fer) I was always told it was a fungus and to use Dial soap. Then around 30, I began to get big, red itchy dry patches all over my stomach. At that time I was jogging 5 miles a day and was right about perfect weight for my frame. Again, not diabetes and this time, the reddish brown itchy spots seemed to be heat sensitive. Then at 34, after a suicide attempt (NOT due to the weird itchy spots!!) I decided to
get serious about treatment for my Bi-Polar Disorder. A month after being on Lithium, the splotches were GONE! I'm 36 now, still on my Lithium (no more suicide attempts so far) and living itchy splotch freeeee!!!!
iAm A 15 Year Old Girl And iHave The Same Problems ! And My Mom Has The Same Symptoms And So Does My Little Brother All Of Us Are Overweiqht And My Mom And Little Brother Have Diabetes But iHave Not Been Tested For Them:(
I found a solution to this problem, I am 18, not over weight at all and I have dark patches  under arms, breast area and stomach and I use this product from the phillipines (which can be sold here in Canada or US) called ESKINOL. I use a specific one with whitening it it only 5 dollars or less and it works INSTANTLY using a cotton swab it removes the dirt so fast that you literally notice the darkness diminishing within 5 minutes.! TRUST ME !! this stuff WORKS amazing !!!!!
I have one of the same problems as alot of you! I am 24 I have these clusters of light brown circular spots a couple on the underneath of my left breast and  the rest are on my rib right were my breast would lay without a bra! I'am not over weight I'm 5'2 about 130 pounds! I do sweat alot in the area when I'm hot! I'm not diabetic but my mother is! I had a pap a couple months ago so I asked the doc about it. She tried to tell me it was ring worm but, I looked up ring worm and looks nothing like it! My spots do not bother me at all besides the fact that they are here and I keep getting more they are all small. The largest is the size of a pencil tip but mostly alot smaller than that! Would love to know what it is and how to get rid of it!  Please help!
i have the same thing and i am a 13 year old girl... it is in the same places and washes off though... does yours wash off??
I'm a 20 year old female, and I've had these patches for years. They started at my armpits, but now spread down onto my side and the side of my breasts, to my cleavage, stomach, and now it's starting to show up on the inside of my right elbow. I am a little overweight as well. I will try switching antiperspirant and using lighteners, but if that doesn't work, I will be going to a dermatologist or doctor.
use eskinol..
use whitening creams too..u wont get the result in 1 day u need to have patience for yr cells to grow eat alot of fruit and lot of water..overweight also causes darkning and itchying ..so stay healthy :)
Ok i have the same problem it wont itch at all its just dry looking dark spots under my underarma and under my boobs....it drive me crazy i dont have this problem before....So im gonna try eskinol hope it will help..I have been using Selsun blue shampoo fr my hiar i didnt think it can be use as a body soap..Hope we can get rid of this problem...
hey im 15
and its on my bra line i am not over weight it started of as one but then it started spreading
Hi I have had a problem for a couple of years, I have brown spots on both of my arm pits, on my neck, back and under my bra line. I don't know what this is it started on my arm pits but now I have it in all these areas. I've tried taking it off when I'm in the shower but it only gets lighter but then it comes back. I am so frustrated I fear that it may be something serious I've gone to the doctor, I've gotten my blood drawn but it doesn't show anything  wrong. Please help!!! this is so over welming for me I feel so embarrased, and scared.
I have brown spots on my back and stomach. I had been taking Aleve twice a day and prescription medicine KETOPROPHEN once a day. It appears that these both contain the same pain medicine and I was taking too much of it for too long. I also have the brown spots under my arms. I have long since stopped taking Aleve and KETOPROPHEN, but I still have the brown blotches. I can scratch them off. They are crusty, but they seem to come back. I wish I knew how to get rid of them for good. I have hundreds of them.
I'm 18 y.o and i have had this  problem since i was about 13 but i think the spots on my neck are related to my weight because when i was playing sports in high school they went away but now i have stopped playing sports and have gained about 30 pounds and they are back and showing on my stomach again. i have very dark coloration in my cleavage that has never gone away so i do not  know what it is from. selsum Blue actually helped me some but it didnt keep them away :(
Same here! Brown spots under breasts, armpits, and back of neck.. Well I'm glad to know I'm not alone that is a bit reassuring...
I have asked several doctors and derm's about it.. they don't really know.. one said it was something called Carp... yeah like the fish... I don't know I looked it up and there was not much information.. I too am just looking for a way to get rid of it. It doesn't itch but, I feel like it makes me look dirty even tho I'm not... I scrub and scrub and it doesn't come off just gets a bit lighter
I too am overweight and I had Gestational Diabetes..... now that being said after my pregnancy it went away briefly...but now it's back again...
I have had these for years. They are called Seborrheic Keratosis and are not cancerous. They do tend to run in families. Also are common on overweight people, especially where skin rubs or where clothing rubs like bra lines, between the legs, under the arms, etc. You can have them removed if they itch but it's generally better to leave them alone. Check with your dermatologist.
My son has the same spots we went to a dermatoligist  use all the meds nothing worked but we tried something different antifungl cream generic
for athletes feet and the brown is going away. You can not use reg. deoderant you have to use a spray because the rub on kind just makes it come back. This is what is working so far good luck.
I have this also! and seems to have started since i was pregnant . Is pregnancy related to this ?
Oh, this is so funny, as my skinny 15-year-old daughter whose tests came back negative for diabetes has these brown splotches on the back of her neck, both of her armpits, in between and under her breasts, and in the crook of both of her arms. The front of her neck looks a little swollen and feels velvety. She takes Lithium for bipolar, and her primary doctor flipped when she found this out! She said Lithium kills and probably is the cause of her brown spots. I have done so much research on the Internet and can find nowhere of any documented cases of Lithium causing this type of skin condition.
You sound like you also have alot of they symptoms of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, you should ask an endocrinologist about that as well
which Asian markets sell Eskinol?
I've had these brown spots for two years. Started with a cluster of them on my lower back, neck ,on pubic, breast between my thighs, under arms and bra line and now have some on stomach and more areas of my back. Not pregnant or over weight.
been to two different Drs. one being a dermatologist. both gave me creams and steroid shots and steroid pills nothing has worked. I look like a leopard.. someone please help want these things gone asap
Seborrheic Keratosis

That's what it's called. I have the same problem and the spots have increased over the past 14 years. I have tried numerous ways of getting rid of these brown crusty spots, none were successful. I have order products that were advertised on TV showing how the products removed moles and brown spots, but none of it worked.

Recently, I wrote my own diet plan so I could lose some weight. As I began my diet, I decided to get some test strips to test my pH Balance. I read that the normal pH Balance should be at 7.43 and I was curious to see what my pH Balance was at. I got a bottle of 50 test strips at the drug store and tested my pH Balance. It was at 4.0 which is caused by eating foods high in acids and not eating enough foods that are high in alkaline.

I have been working on this for a couple months now in developing my diet plan to include more alkaline foods to raise my pH Balance.

To give myself a boost with alkaline, I am taking 2 teaspoons of baking soda in a half cup of warmed water and mixing it until it's clear and then adding 1 teaspoon of Black Back-strap Molasses and stirring until well blended, then I drink this twice a day.

In the last couple weeks, my pH Balance has come up to 7.5 and I am continuing the baking soda and molasses in a half cup of water twice a day. The brown spots all over my body, mostly on my back, stomach, belt-line and arm pits. Since my pH Balance has come up, several of these brown spots are beginning to dry up, starting to crumble and fall off.

When bathing, my brown crusty spots now seem soften and I can easily scratched them off with a fingernail. My back is the worst, but I live alone and I don't have anyone to help me, so those on my back are itching and I have been using a back scratcher, but I've not been able to get much done by myself.

I don't know if drinking my baking soda and molasses with half cup of warm water twice a day is causing them to come off or if it's because I am raising my pH Balance to 7.5 which is normal, but I want to be above normal, perhaps at 8 or even 8.5 for a few weeks to clean up whatever it is and then I will adjust my pH Balance down to 7.5 normal.

It just seems to make sense to me that if my body is too acidic, it is probably causing me to have a variety of problems such as my enlarged prostate. My PSA test level was around 5.2 and my doctor wanted me to have a biopsy done, but since I've started taking the baking soda and molasses in a half cup of warmed water, my PSA test level has dropped down to 4.0 which is at the upper end of being normal.

I would suggest that everyone with these brown spots shpuld get some pH Balance test strips at your local pharmacy and test your pH Balance to see if you are below 7.5 and if you are, then you will need to correct your diet to include more alkaline foods and less acid foods. While waiting for your pH Balance to become normal at 7.5 you can use the baking soda and molasses in a half cup of warmed water to help bring up your pH Balance.

You can find information on pH Balance by doing a search on the Internet. I have put together a chart and a list of foods for pH Balance in my diet plan book and I have it available in a PDF file for Adobe reader. If anyone would like a copy of my diet plan book, you can contact me at Facebook and send me a message and I will see if I can send it to you at Facebook,

At Facebook: Sam Morris of Boswell, Oklahoma

Also, you can contact me by email and I will reply to your email with my diet plan book as an attachment in an Adobe PDF file.

You can email me with Diet Plan Book as the subject of your message and I will send it to you with my return reply. My email address is;

***@****

Currently, my Diet Plan Book in Adobe PDF format is FREE

I have been on my diet for 5 months and I have lost 72 pounds so far. I won't be publishing my diet plan book until I have lost another 80 pounds, so for now my diet plan book is FREE.

I will try to keep everyone here posted on my brown spots and if they continue to coming off. For now, the only thing I have as a reason for my brown spots to start coming off is that I have raised my pH Balance back up to normal and I want to go a little above normal for a few weeks to see if that speeds up the brown spots coming off.

Good luck to everyone in getting rid of these brown spots, and please keep me posted, especially if you find something that helps them come off quicker. I saw one woman had said her husband was putting Hydrogen Peroxide on her back with a cotton ball, three times a day for three weeks and the brown spots on her back were coming off. I would be eager to try that myself if I had someone who could help me, but I don't.
my email is as follows; samait AT cisbec DOT net for those who may want a FREE copy of my diet plan book.

My wife had this condition.  It looks like brown splotches that started under her armpits and the back of her neck.  It spread to under her breasts.  We fought it for a year using anti-fungals that her doctor prescribed, used miconozol shampoo all over her body, and we never really made a lot of progress.  It looked better, but it was still there.  Then one day she got a nasty sinus infection that would not go away.  Her doctor prescribed a very potent antibiotic to get rid of the infection and about 3-4 days after she started the antibiotic her splotches all went away.  That tells me that whatever is causing her splotches is bacterial, not fungal.  It is starting to creep back, however.  She is pre-diabetic and if I recall correctly some bacteria will eat up sugar and multiply.  So I have a feeling we can continue to fight it with antibiotics, but as long as she has blood sugar problems it will always return.