Dermatology Expert Forum
Brown spot on sole of foot -- acral lentiginous melanoma?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

I'm a 36 year old female with brown hair and eyes and medium-tone skin.  I have a fair amount of sun damage from childhood exposure but no previous experience with skin cancer.  About three months ago I noticed a medium brown spot on the sole of my left foot. It's an irregular oval shape and about 4mm in length. It's flat (not raised)on the sole of my foot. Yesterday I saw my dermatolgist who mentioned the possibility of acral lentiginous melanoma.  He will biopsy the spot in about two weeks.  Could this be something benign?  Everything I read about moles on the soles of the feet suggests not so great outcomes. My doctor also said that, given the sample size, it's likely that the pathology report will be inconclusive.  Is that something to be concerned about and how should I proceed if that is the case? Lastly, is it reasonable to wait two weeks for the biopsy?  Any input will be most appreciated.
Despite repeated statements in books to the contrary, moles on the soles are really no riskier than moles anywhere else.  If your doctor thinks this one is suspicious, he is surely correct to plan a biopsy to be sure, just as he would for a mole anywhere else that looked a bit funny.  Based on your description, though, the report is almost certain to be fine.  If the biopsy can be moved up, that would be good for your peace of mind, but I expect you'll be fine in any case.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
1 Comment
A related discussion, Brown Spots was started.
I'm Michael, a 26 yrs old male with black hair & fair in complexion. Just 2 weeks ago I noticed tiny brownish spots under my foots more of which are on my left foot. They're painless, internal (not raised). I'm already dead without an answer yet. Pls smbody talk 2 me(+2348037778429).
A related discussion, Brown Spots on the bottom of heels was started.