Brown spots on bottom lips and dry lips

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Brown spots on bottom lips and dry lips

6403937?1291068839
My bottom lip has developed brown spots for some years but the color was much lighter, therefore I assumed that they are only freckles. I am Chinese with light skin tone. I also have some freckles on my cheeks. However, I recently (approx. 1 month) found that my lips are very allergic to lips products, from my regular lip balm, lipsticks to even Vaseline. They just make my lips dry more. The dryness developed on my whole lips. I eventually changed to using Bare Minerals lipsticks and lip balm which do not make dryness worse but the dryness has lasted for more than 1 month now. However, my lips are not severely chapped or cracked yet but they are abnormally dry. I live in Hawaii,  therefore it should be not a factor of weather. The brown spots are now more visible, even lipsticks cannot cover them. They are flat, and don't hurt. I don't know if the lip allergy, dryness is associated with the brown spots. They seem to be related.

I have been drinking enough water and keeping a balanced diet. And I don't smoke or drink.

I enclose a picture which is taken just now. Any advice?

The dry lips can be due to cheilitis and the brown spots can be due to oral lentigo. Avoid licking the lips as saliva evaporates quickly resulting in them being drier than before. Drink plenty of water and take multivitamin supplements and do not apply lipstick or other cosmetic products for some days. Use a humidifier to moisturize the air in your home and apply shea butter or Vaseline on your lips.You can also use a homemade ointment mixed from 1 tsp glycerine, 1 tsp lemon juice and 1 tsp castor oil. Spread on lips overnight, refrigerating the leftovers for future use. Eat foods high in calcium, magnesium and flaxseed oil. If a week of compresses and emollients don't do the trick, you can add over-the-counter 1 percent hydrocortisone ointment to your regimen.

For lentigo, You cannot remove them at home. Cryosurgery using liquid nitrogen and laser are the main treatment modalities. Although there are many skin creams like hydroquinone and salicylic acid, but their use needs prescription .I would recommend a dermatologist’s consultation for this.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.