Bruise-Like Spot

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Bruise-Like Spot

3162558?1216223252

I have had a bruise-like discoloration about 1 inch in diameter on the base of my neck in front for about 2 1/2 months. It is not tender to the touch and I have not bumped or injured that area in any way that I am aware of. I am overweight and have had PCOS for quite a few years, but this spot seems different than any of the discolored areas I have which are associated with this condition as it is more black and blue, like a typical bruise. Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing this and how to get rid of it? Thank you.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Is this right above the front of the throat?

This has been present for a month and the discoloration does not appear to progress or enlarge in the two months that this has been present. If this is a hematoma, then this suggests that there is no active bleeding here as the discoloration appears to maintain its appearance. This may not be something serious. Hormonal problems may also contribute to this. At this point, it is important to ascertain that this is not secondary to a possible bleed which I think is an unlikely diagnosis given an absence of previous history of trauma or injury. As for PCOS, this may still be contributory. Just observe the skin condition. I would not advise you taking any medications or applying anything on the area.

Thank you for the information. Yes, the spot is on the front of my throat just above where the collar(?) bones meet. Do you think I should see a doctor for this or just wait and see a while longer?
how are you doing? I have experience something very similar but mine comes for a few days and than it disappears. It is exactly in the same spot as yours. I am getting a little worry. For the last couple of weeks I have experience a bit of pain around the area.
I'm doing fine, thanks for asking.

My spot still has not gone away, but I think it has faded a bit. I think it may be due, in part, to the multi-vitamins I have been taking. I have forgotten to take them for a few days, though, and have not noticed any further improvement. My spot does not come and go as your's seems to. I've had it continually for probably close to 3 months now, and I do not seem to have any pain associated with it. If your spot continues to bother you, you may want to see a doctor, in my opinion. Hope this helps!
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Now, I have access to the image.

This appears like a hematoma (bruise) or a postinflammatory hyperpigmentation. If previously an inflammation such as an acne or a rash was present in the area, then this may be likely postinflammatory hyperpigmentation. In the presence of any pimple , infection or rash, then we have to rule out mechanical injury which could have led to this. However, you have not mentioned any history of trauma to the area.

I would suggest a consult with your physician just to have a baseline evaluation on this. If this expands or increases in size and the discoloration becomes more evident, then you may need prompt consult. If similar discolorations occur in other parts of the body, then this may be something that needs to be further evaluated.

Hello! I am a 17 year old girl and for the past 2 weeks I have had 2 bruise like spots on both sides of my neck that look exactly like yours. My friends think someone beat me, but they haven't gone away and I have no idea why they are there! I did not have a rash there, or acne there either..