Dermatology Expert Forum
Bruise or something more serious?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Bruise or something more serious?
Hi Doctor Rockoff,

I am writing to you in concern about a brown spot on my kneecap. It looks like a bruise, however it is completely painless. I just noticed it a day or so ago and definately brown in colour. Sortof a dark brown circle just like a bruise but no pain whatsoever.

I am wondering what this could be? If its from a sleeping irritation, a bruise, or something more serious. I am 25 years old and have not been diagnosed with any health problems. Could it be skin cancer? Or a sign of some serious disease?

Is it possible i am overreacting about this?
Most likely a bruise form some minor and unrecalled trauma.  Things that come on that fast are usually from trauma.  Leave it alone and watch it go away over the next few days.  If it stays around for two weeks despite not being messed with, see a doctor, but I doubt you'll have to.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Hi Dr. Rockoff,

It appears the discoloration is lightening a tad. It is also blanching when touched. Strange as it is painless.
Right on!

Dr. Rockoff
A related discussion, Brown Bruise/Birthmark was started.