Bruise turned into rash
I had blood draw a little over a week ago. The site turned into a large dark bruise approx. 3 inches across. The bruise turned to the characteristic yellow a few days ago, and was almost completely gone. Today, I noticed itching where the bruise had been, and I now have small raised itchy bumps exactly where the bruise was. I put cortisone cream on the rash; however, it burned quite a bit, and the itching is pretty intense. What would cause a bruise to turn into a rash when it heals?
I found this on the subject:::

Also known as contusion or hematoma, a bruise is a sector of skin discoloration which appears when small blood vessels crack and spread their contents into the mild tissue underneath the skin. If a bruise is not taken care of, it can develop into a rash. A rash, on the other hand, includes changes in the color or structure of your skin. This is why you have to take care of your skin, specially when you obtain a bruise from falls, sports contusions, or car mishaps, in order to prevent it from turning into a rash. Here are some tips that will help you keep your bruises under control:
Do not attempt to drain the contusion with a needle.
Do not continue to stress the painful, bruised part of your body with activities like running and playing.
Most of all, do not ignore the pain or swelling.
Consult with your doctor immediately when you feel pain or you observe swelling in your broken skin.

If you do not take care of your bruise properly, it will surely turn into a rash. Once that happens, additional care and attention must be applied to ensure that you remain safe and well throughout the healing process. Here are some more directions to facilitate faster healing of your bruises that turn into rashes:
Proper hygiene plays a big part in preventing your rashes from spreading in other areas of your body.
Shower all the time and do not use any product that is not recommended by your dermatologist.
Using a non-recommended products may irritate your rash even more and pain will be even harder for you to bear.
Learn meditation exercises such as yoga or tai chi so that you can control the rashes from spreading.

Remember, stress aggravates many rashes, including eczema, psoriasis, and seborrheic dermatitis, so keep yourself relax and focus. Take care of your well-being and make the attainment of a balanced mind and body your ultimate goal in life.
Sources:

http://www.medhelp.org/tags/show/12756/bruise

http://www.medhelp.org/tags/show/11687/Rashes
I too experience itchy rashes after my buises. It doesn't matter how deep or extreme they are. I used to treat them with anti fungal creams because I was once told it was a dermtis fungi...The cream really helped. I don't take any type of suppliments so I can not explain why I get them...Have gotten them since I was in middle school and I am now 37.
Ok it might  be that having Iron Over Load in your blood is the problem my doc just told me that is why I got the rash my iron is 2 times higher than. Normal
I have similar problem. I itch only my thighs and within a hour or so they turn into massive bruises. The size of 2 hands put together. Will be seeing heametologist (sorry if spelt wrong) on the 8 th August. Will post about how I went to hopefully helps others.
I have the same issue and have had for a few years.  The only difference is I do no not know how I get the bruises and they seem to be in the same places on my thighs.  One interesting question above was about allergic reactions to metals which I also have.  Had to switch from 14k white gold to either 18k or platinum.  So if blood contains metals and the blood from bruises resides just beneath the skin it would seem logical that it could be a reaction to the metal in your blood.  So glad to see that I am not alone with this cause it drives me crazy.
I hear a common thread..I am 46, this started about five years ago...also, this last time was right after a shot in the hip. I have arthritis and DDD. Also..was wondering..what is blood type? mine is A negative...
I fell and hit my hip, smack on the ground.  A dark purple, perfectly round bruise right over the ball and socket joint appeared.  The bruise started to turn yellow and a red rash started to appear.  The rash is now red bumps, hot, swollen, leathery, and extremely itcy.  I don't bruise easily and the rash isn't spreading past the bruise.  The yellow chemical from bilirubin left by the breakdown of the blood seems most likely.  Thank you for all the posts!  I can't get any sun on it, because I live in the NW and this is November.  
Finally went to a dermatologist, for other reasons. But i figured while there i'd ask about the bruise rashes. He started to explain 'why' in this long winded story of how bandages will make a rash. I was like,' I sat here thinking i'd get a great solution to why i've had this problem(although not doing it now) and i get this'. I told him, why would someone bandage a bruise? I told him in my line of work, i get banged around a lot. At first i thought the rash was a fluke, bruse after bruise rashed up, then got identical bruises on each arm(from being smashed behind a heavy gate) and both rashed up. I told him that over time the rashing evolved into the whole bruise covered in a whelp and then it stopped after doing it for 2 years. He sat there a minute and said,' Hum, i have no idea.' UGH
This stuff works, puts a protective coating on the itchy part and takes away the itch.  Using it one week and already seeing improvement.  Benedry Spray Topical Analgesic WITH Skin Protectant.  Wash it off every two days and reapply.  Using one week and already see an improvement!  Yippee!
I will turn 50 soon, I guess so will you since this is a couple years ago.  I have had the same thing happen twice and I only have my left ovary as for "parts".
Strange that you say this.  I have a nasty bruise on my arm from intravenous which is starting to fade but two days ago I developed a terrible rash which is like an allergic reaction.  I have not seen the doctor about it but yesterday I had a call from my nurse practitioner telling me that  my ana test came back positive and I need to be seen by an internist for more testing .. could this all be related? .. and should I see a doctor about this rash over my bruising?
I THOUGHT I WAS LOOSING MY MIND .I HAD TO BIG BRUISES ON MY LEGS THE BRUISES STARTED GOING AWAY AND NOW A RASH  IM GOING TO THE DOCTOR ON THE 4TH A HEMOTOLIGIST ILL FIGURE IT OUT ND LET YALL KNOW.
I am also a bruise to rash victim.  For me it took a week for the rash to appear, then it was raised at the edges and hot and itchy.  

From the posts from 2009 I have surmised that the doctors do not know exactly what the problem is.  But, each of us can find "our" own cure and try to stick to it to eliminate discomfort.  

Possible Cures: (Summary from previous posts)
-We are alergic to the healing process, take a antihistamine.
-a Billiruben reaction is occuring and possible sun exposure could help.
-Natural remedies could work, Coconut Oil
-Precription creams could work

In my case, I bruised, got a rash a week later, a week later, after getting short lived relief from Benadryl Extra Strength Itch relief spray, very little relief from a precription topical corticosteroid, no help from the precription anti-fungal, I came across this site.

I took 2 generic 25mg Antihistimine tablets and overnight the rash was 75% gone and there was no itch.  

Thank you everyone for posting.  I have found my cure and will use it asap with future rashes that come up after a bruise.  

I won't be going back to the Dr. until this cure for me is no longer working.
I have this too.  And ... I'm definitely allergic to my own sweat.  So, a possibility.
This is hilarious that so many people have the same problem and doctors have no clue what it is, and in fact routinely misdiagnose it!  I have always bruised easily, but only over the last couple of years (approximately since I turned 50) have some of worst bruises developed an itchy rash as they have healed.  As so many have pointed out, it develops as the bruise is healing, and it is exactly where the bruise is (same outline) and nowhere else.  The first time I had this, it was obvious to me that the bruise (or the healing of the bruise) had produced the rash. Also as so many have mentioned, the rash resembles a poison ivy rash.  This has happened to me 2 or 3 times over the last couple of years.  It's never occurred to me to put anything on it--I just assumed it would eventually disappear, and it did, although it took longer than I expected--couple weeks?  But based on what I've read here, I would imagine that Benadryl might help if it really is some sort of histamine reaction.  I will also try the Bactine method, since one commenter had great success with that.  And I will also try various methods of trying to get the bruise to dissipate more rapidly.  I never bothered to do this before, since the bruises disappear on their own.  But possibly doing this would help prevent the rashes. (FYI, I suspect that heat--i.e., the heat of a shower--helps the bruise to heal faster; probably anything that stimulates the area)  I do wonder if it is connected with being a woman entering the menopause stage.  Anyway, I never comment on boards, but I had to chime in with my own experience because--again, as so many have pointed out--it's great to discover that I'm not alone with this bizarre little phenomenon  : )
I started with fingertip sized bruises (for no reason that I can remember) in a cluster. The cluster grew spread and was very itchy. I scratched it from time to time. After a few days a rash began to appear. As the original bruise area faded, new ones appears around the perimeter area....and the rash spread! Any info on what I am dealing with? Anti-itch didn't really help. Melaluca Tea Tree oil dried it up and killed the itch significantly, but didn't reduce the rash. There are few bumps I can feel....mostly in the clear surrounding area.
Nice to know a person is not alone in their misery. I too get a rash where I bruise, in the EXACT shape of the bruise, and I also have had to deal with more than one doctor with a god complex and a bad attitude. I suggest dumping that doctor and finding one who truly cares about his patients and not his/her paycheck. I'm a 50 yr old female, and this has been happening to me since I was around 35. I have a high iron count in my blood, and I take meds for high blood pressure. The allergic reaction to my own blood sounds like a good match, considering the help benedryl andantihistamines do for the rash from the people who commented on this. My suggestion is, do not itch the rash as this will only make it worse and possible infections won't do you any good either. Thank you to all who have taken the time to post on this site. It does a body and mind good to know you're not the only one this is happening to.
My story has similar pieces to many of yours. My first original rash developed on my thighs. After 2 courses of steroids, oat meals baths, Benadryl. Nothing worked. I finally had to do PUVA therapy 3 times a week for 3 months as it had spread to my entire body and I was miserable. That was in 2006- when I was 41. Since then, I also have the bruise rash thing. I also have weird skin reactions to mosquito bites and recently was stung by a bee ( first time in 30ish years) and it has taken forever to heal. I had not been historically allergic to bee stings, however it swelled pretty badly and remained red and itchy for at least 2 weeks. Now 4 weeks later my skin is still discolored and my skin feels like elephant skin. And right now I have a bruise rash on my thigh....again. I am a nurse and have no idea, but some of your theories make sense.
Several months ago i contracted scabies from work and was treated i have noticed after getting a bruise and its almost healed i get a patch of small itchy bumps and i was wondering if it could be a under skin scabie or mite that feeds off the under the skin blood?
Wow, this has been a fascinating read. At least I know there are others who have had this happen.
I stuck my forearm with a lancet a couple of weeks ago to draw a drop of blood because I was too much of a baby to want to poke my fingertip. A huge blue bruise formed immediately. That was surprising in and of itself. But it ran the normal course of bruises, purple, greenish, yellowish, and just before healing a very itchy rash appeared. The bruise discoloration is completely gone, but the raised rash remains and if I scratch it it turns bright red. BUT IT'S SOOOO ITCHY!
It seems ridiculous to go to the doctor for a rash a little larger than a quarter, and having read all your posts, it doesn't sound like your doctors even know the cause. Any more recent help?
I was fooling around with a friend and they grabbed my arm as they fell backwards. Nothing major, there was no pain at the time, but the next day I had 3 very dark deep bruises on my arms from their fingers. I couldn't even figure out what the bruises were from at first and when I remembered my friend grabbing me I couldn't believe a bruise was even caused and that the bruise was so dark and deep. It lasted one full week then finally lightened, turned yellow and pinkish yesterday and today 9 days later, it has turned into three red raised rashes that are dry & itchy, exactly where the 3 bruises were! This has happened to me before and I never thought to much about it, but now I'm really starting to wonder what this is all about!
I to fell on carpet wearing jeans, a bruise developed and now have red bumps and itchy. Did yours ever go away?
I have been having this for a few years now.  I get an overlapping red circles over the burse like I am  allergic to it. I itches with such intensity. I put Benadryl cream and that does help the itching.  So it is like I'm allergic to my bruises. It also seems to go in cycles.  It goes along with the cold sore I get on my tongue.  Does anyone else with the itchy bruises get ulcers on their tongues at the same time?
I also develop a rash over the site of any large bruise about a week or so after the bruise begins to heal. The worse the bruise, the worse the rash will be. This started about 5 years ago. Recently, I happened to be in the hospital still, with an asthma exacerbation, when it started, and noticed on the daily lab tests that my RBC and Hemoglobin levels started dropping also! RBC dropped below normal, hemoglobin got right down to the limit of normal.

I DO however have some autoimmune and immune stuff going on - I have had asthma and eczema since childhood, also have CVID, and multiple allergies and sensitivities, including sun allergy and being sensitive to my own sweat and tears during bad times. Over the past few years, I developed IMPP, and as yet unidentified other autoimmune issues which are messing with my insulin production and sensitivity, causing sporadic kidney, liver, skin, and blood vessel inflammation, all of which normalize with high-doses of steroids over a 4-6wk period...

But the first thing I noticed leading up to all the autoimmune stuff was this horrible maddeningly itchy rash anywhere I would get a bruise. For example all over my belly after getting heparin shots while hospitalized for asthma. 2 weeks after getting home, the rash would start. Docs couldn't figure it out.  At least now I know to expect it. And I also learned to limit heparin shots to my arms. Still bruises, but not as bad, and I can't reach to scratch in my sleep. When I get it on an area I can reach in my sleep, I wake up raw and often end up with cellulitis on top of it.
About 3 years ago I experienced this same strange rash after a severe shin bruise. The bruise (from hitting against a bed frame) was very painful, and turned all kinds of deep purple colors after a few days.  Then I had to fly back home (was on vacation) and after the flight I noticed a deep purple area down at my ankle, far below the bruise. (Hematoma??) Also, my ankle was very swollen with edema.

After a few days that faded, but I began to notice an itchiness around the bruise, as it healed. Then the itchiness turned into a very large deep red rash, and was beginning to look pretty ugly after a week or so. My dr. prescribed some antihistamines, but they had no effect whatsoever. It got way worse, and then spread to my other leg!! So both legs, from the knee down, were almost entirely covered by deep red and raised blistery patches of red. I ended up going to the ER, and they kept me for 2 nights, running batteries of tests. Put me on antibiotics, thinking it was MRSA, (by then my legs from the knees down were so swollen my ankles had all but disappeared) but then finally a dermatologist examined me and diagnosed me with hives. By that time these hives were covering my entire body!  It was a nightmare.

After hooking me up to steroids instead of antibiotics the hives almost completely disappeared overnight. And they put me on Prednisone, which took care of the rest.  But a few weeks after that, the hives returned on their own. Long story short, I battled them for almost 2 years, with increasingly larger doses of several different antihistamines. They finally began to disappear, after which I had to wean off of all the drugs for several months.  

For the most part these hives have left me in peace, but on occasion they return in small spots, flare up for a few weeks and then disappear again. The only thing that seems to set them off is maybe stress.  I've wondered if hormones have played a part, as I'm a menopausal woman. But I've never had hives before in my life, or any other allergy to speak of.  I think this is just one of those unexplained medical ailments.  It was comforting though, to see so many other people suffering the same crazy symptoms!

I hope this may help anyone who is wondering how to treat these rashes! Steroids and/or mega doses of antihistamines is what worked for me.
Sir.. I know it was in 08 you were wondered about the itchy rash than forms over a bruise...  Please has anyone come up with the answer?  Or may it possibly have n e thing to do with the shingle rash???
This is not the first time ive gotten the rash over a bruise, but it is really turning into a pain n de ---. I have caught poison ivey, sumac, and oak, and i figured maybe the forum is in my blood or something... i have had steroid shots, and they have helped, but this is still a reaccuring annoying issue, that no one around here has even tried to help me with...   ELCY NC
I have to wonder if an anti-inflammatory diet would help. The Paleo diet is supposed to be anti-inflammatory. I have had the same problem with bruising and a rash, though not nearly so bad! If prednisone, which is anti-inflammatory, helped for a while, maybe changing the diet would do more long-term good. ???
I'm so glad I'm not alone. I thought I was crazy when I finally decided to google this today.

I fell down a set of stairs two weeks ago. Besides being embarrassed to hobble in a Mardi Gras parade the next day, my bottom was black/purple and one arm had a large dark purple bruise. As the bruises began to heal, both spots started itching and have now turned into rashes that completely cover each of the bruise areas.

With two bruises doing the same thing at the same time, I think we can eliminate the possibility that it's a coincidence that a rash showed up in the exact spot of the bruise.

Still no answers? Any new developments on the bruise rash conundrum?
How to get rid of rashes from drawn blood. My boyfriend got his blood drawn and I think he got a allergic reaction from when the nurse drawn blood out of him. He had the bruise for a about close to two weeks and then he got a rashes. Please email me asap.
This has suddenly started happening to me.  Ironically...like the OP mine started where I had had a blood draw that caused the worst bruise from one I had ever had on my inner arm between my elbow and wrist.  I was curious if your patients started the same way and could it be because of something we were exposed to in the lab?  It is bizarre ... skin colored so hard to see except in certain lights.... but it itches so bad and burns so bad I feel I'm going crazy!

Nikole
Interesting because I have had to be on 60days of antibiotics and have battled thrush because of the antibiotics and my inhaled corticosteroids when mine started too.... hmmmm
Very interesting to hear these comments. I, too, fell in an airport on my arm and shoulder, fracturing my shoulder in two places. I developed a black bruise on my arm bicept. It as been healing fine, shrinking and turning from black to purple and fading. All the sudden, as it was looking better, I developed a rash--large bumps--that really iches. Cortisone cream has not helped. In the last week, I inceased a medication so I asked that doctor if it could be related to the medication. He did not think so. He agreed that the rash was directly on the bruise and confined to the area of the bruise, but he thought this was probaby a "coincidence." Not at all likely!He suggested I see a dermatologist, but from this post, they don't even know the problem exists or why. I'll go but have few expectations. I am taking a copy of this blog with me, if the dermatologist doubts that the problem is related to the bruise. Thank you all!
I fell on my mountain bike 6 Jan 2015 and couldn't unclip my peddles in time.  Consequently, the bike bashed my left knee.  I could see no visible bruise, but found EXQUISITE pain if I crawled on my knees- even on my "pillow-top plush" mattress.  In early Feb, I began to develop a light bumpy red rash over the same area.  I thought "What a crazy coincidence!" until I found this site.    

So by April, my rash became itchy.  I started to treat with antifungals.  Aloe.  No improvement.  Over-the-counter steroid cream, Gold-Bond Medicated ointment.  No improvement.  Went to the doctor.  Stronger steriod cream, then borrowed Mom's even-stronger-steroid cream.  Went on anti-inflammatory diet.  No improvement.  

Now it is June and the thing has expanded and erupted in blisters!  Gross!  Mostly is like a raised red bumpy area, about 2x2 inches, with a blistered crusting rim.  ITCHY!   Especially in the areas outside of the rash, which appear red, like they are about to also erupt.  So now I'm intoxicating myself with Hydroxazine to see if I can curb the progression.  I think it must be autoimmune in some way.  We are military so have to wait on socialized medicine to get my appointment.  

Has anyone else had a rash over a bruise that continually progressed for 5 plus months, over a bruise?  This thing ain't going away.  Thyroid connection?
Same problem but made it worse/triggered it by massaging a deep contusion on my ankle I had for months from some amatuer kickboxing. Gf and I thought it would help blood flow to rub the healing hematoma abit. Well now I have a rash that looks like a typical allergy reaction rash that everyone describes. However the rash covers both my legs and my arms about 60% of the area. Seems like most people have the rash where the bruise is, it follows that the rubbing did circulate my blood and with it the dead blood/platelets toxins etc... And that is the reason for the wide spread reaction. Also it seems others have found it is exasperated by warm weather, mine coincided with four days in a row of intense sun exposure temps 80+ after which the rash began, so I thought it was heat rash, but since I have it now two weeks later I don't believe that is the case. What really threw me was that the rash is really only on my arms and lower legs, almost exactly what is exposed to the sun. So perhaps the sun is not the cause but just a contributing factor, my skin/tissues were already weakend or damaged by my sun exposure and the combo has caused my wide spread rash. Just hoping this clears soon I look like I have some terrible disease, and I'm hoping no blood clots are meandering their way to a just too narrow artery. Morel of story: Never Never Never massage a deep bruise. Also it would seem that deep, terrible bruises lead to localized allergic reactions in some of us. How special we are...
Interesting read thanks. I have also developed a rash over a large bruise that has faded, it is driving me crazy and seems to flair up at night, but I think that might be because I take an antihistamine for hay fever in the morning, so I'm guessing that helps during the day, even though it's still there, just not as bad. It's been about 5 days, so thought I should Google it as it's a bit odd, but seems quite common after reading this.
Someone posted earlier about the histamine, think there must be something in that, because creams aren't working and I have tried a few... the antihistamine seem to do the trick. Just hope it goes soon though!!
After reading all of the posts I can see so many similarities to my own situation. I recently had a heart procedure for atrial fibrillation and the groin site had a huge bruise which started disappearing after 3 weeks. Last night a rash formed exactly on the bruise area - so itchy!!
Things I know about me:
I'm almost 50 and pre-menopausal, probably not ovulating for about 2 years - about the time I suddenly began getting migraines, though these have eased the past 6 months. I have quite a few inflammatory & autoimmune issues and after decades of being prescribed meds which only seem to mask the symptoms I have lost faith somewhat in Drs & want to find a cause. The Drs are either not really interested or able to any more, because of time constraints.
So, after many tests & rigorous research several things have come up. I have extremely high oestradiol levels because of estrogen dominance caused by a variety of factors over my life. HRT is not the answer as it is synthetic progesterone. This estrogen dominance  is relevant to the younger people & men posting. It is not something that only affects menopausal women anymore because of the high amount of synthetic xenoestrogen in our modern lifestyle. Once you are affected by this there is a cascading series of problems that can develop depending on your genetic make up and the effectiveness of your detoxification processes.
If, like me, you are one of 38% of people who have problems with phase 2 detoxification, (and are also unlucky enough not to be able to methylate a host of vitamins & nutrients), your body becomes more or less overloaded and starts reacting with autoimmune and/or inflammatory responses. This can be a slow process over years or even decades or a 'straw that broke the camel's back' very quick response. Stress has been the biggest factor in exacerbating every problem I have had - our own uncontrolled cortisol levels can lead to chronic illness if constantly high.
The only thing that I can see that will help me is by eliminating as many irritants/chemicals/medications/foods that I can and gradually reintroducing them to see what my triggers are. I need to drop all processed foods from my diet and feed my body with as many nutrient dense healing food as possible. I also need to learn how to manage my stress levels.
I listened to a recent fascinating podcast on the Wellnessmama website called The Overmedication of America. What was said made so much sense and fitted with my symptoms (especially about steroid use - cream or pill...or even my own stress response). There was also a link to the cascade effect from one medication - the oral contraceptive (estrogen). Again this is relevant to all of us.
While 'grasshoppering' about the internet, I came across a book which has an Autoimmune Protocol which I think will help me very much. It is called The Paleo Approach: Reverse Autoimmune Disease and Heal Your Body by Sarah Ballantyne Ph.D. With over 1000 reviews averaging 4.7 stars on Amazon it is worth a look. I read about 400! The wellnessmama website has a 30 day autoimmune diet that is far easier to follow, but not as rigorous. I am starting by taking supplements to boost the glutathione pathways to help with detoxification and pre-methylated vitamins and folate that my body can access now. This is short term until I learn the foods that will naturally do this.
Sorry about the length of the post, and I probably am coming across as a bit of a nutcase new-age hippie - at least my family think so! I know it is going to be a very difficult protocol to follow. I am still trying to get my head around it, but with my body really seeming to turn on itself, I just have to do something. All of this is just my opinion, and sharing what I have found through months of research, and is not intended as advice. It worries me that if 131 people have responded to this thread over 8 years, how many people with the same issue read it and did not respond, and how many more people with the same issue have never even looked? I hope to start the protocol in the next month and will update here in a few months. Good luck to you all and good luck to me - I suspect I'll need it!
I am commenting because I came upon this post two years ago after a the same thing happened to me. After a serious bruise on my right shin, a terrible rash formed right over the top of it, and has been there ever since.  I have since been to three doctors who seem skeptical of the bruise theory, and tell me it's severe eczema.  It only fades after steroid treatments, and comes blazing back as soon as I run out.  I'm so tired of this thing. It itches like crazy and looks terrible.  What really gets me, is the way the doctors just can't believe that the bruise was the catalyst.  Even my husband will verify that it is exactly where the bruise was, and it appeared as the bruise was fading. I wish I had a photo of the original bruise to show someone. I'm tired of the steroids as well. I'm glad I'm not alone.
It's been 8 years since the original post...still no cure.  I've been to traditional doctors, holistic doctors, allergists, dermatologists, immunologists, hell even Standford University Immuno-dermatology doesn't know what's wrong with me.

Mine is a recurring living nightmare. I want to cry every time I get a bruise because I know what intense relentless itching is about to occur over the next 3-4 weeks.  My bruises used to take 2 weeks to completely disappear, then two years ago (July 2014) I noticed my bruises healed unnaturally fast for me, 3-4 days tops followed by a rash in the identical shape of the bruise. intense, welted, raised, poison oak looking rash that would simmer down to a dull red rash then welt up and itch again in the same shape and size repeatedly over 3-4 weeks.  I've undergone auto immune testing, blood work, intestinal permeability (leaky gut) tests, stool cultures, biopsies, steroids, creams, pills, drops, ointments, to no avail.

I'm gonna throw something out here...if you want to be considered for a study (I'm going back to Stanford) you can text me with your contact info. I won't call you myself but I'll give the list of afflicted people to the Stanford research center so they can really see how many of us there are suffering from the same baffling illness. I for one and tired of fighting for a cure the last two years and never getting any answers. If you're interested, feel free to text: (559) 258-2373
Beehealth Propolis Cream maybe worth a try and the Beehealth Propolis tincture. Excellent for your immune system. Check with your doctor before trying if on medication. Kind regards
I have had this same condition for thirty years and in some cases it will not go away unless I treat it with oral steroid- If I don't use strong enough steroids it just continues to spread all over my body except for my face. I have noticed that as the years go by it last longer than usual- I wish I could find a cure or just  basic information on why this happens. It is so misurble to be so itchy all the time. Oh and forgot to add I have had every test under the sun and iam very healthy. Please let me know if you find anything out why our burise turn to a rash.
I've recently had this very same problem,
Try using Lanza Healing Oil for skin and scalp, it really works on a lot of different types of skin problems.
It's fairly easy to get, but you can always contact the Lanza company directly to find out where it is sold.
They sell it in a glass jar with a pump, opt for that one
Well. Good read. Thanks to all the contributors here!
So glad to have found this thread! Thank you, all contributors. My post may be long, sorry!

About Me:

Age 45, female, overweight, moderately active, massage therapist/bodyworker by primary trade.

History of skin sensitivity (hives, contact dermatitis, childhood eczema, and mild asthma.

I take Zyrtec every night, all year, for allergies. I also use nasal and respiratory inhalers.

Am allergic to most modern metals and alloys, as well as talc, latex, penicillin, bleach, synthetic fragrances, detergents, dyes, and chemicals. Also ragweed and some trees.

My tale:

Monday, June 13, 2016- stepped wrong off a curb, hit the street HARD. My backpack added weight and force to the blow.

Most trauma occured to the outside and front of my right lower leg/shin. Also impacted medial/inside left knee, and left upper arm and shoulder.

Due to circumstances, the first treatment was 3-4 hours of elevation of lower leg, in a cold room, followed by epsom salts bath, arnica application, and IBU dose.

I worked cautiously and limitedly the next day. Then a day off. 3 days later I had a bodywork session that resulted in great reduction of my pronounced limp, my pain, and my awkward posture due to the fall. I continued to get about 2 hrs of bodywork once a week for a month. (I usually do so twice a month, so that is double).

The lower right leg was the worst. It was a week before the discoloration even appeared, so I knew the bruise was deep. The normal progression of blue and purple into green and yellow occurred over a month.

I think I first noticed the rash and itchiness about 2, maybe 3 weeks after the fall. I was very careful when scratching- gently raking my fingers or a metal hand back scratcher over it. It was impossible to shave without pain. I continued epsom salt baths for the first 2-3 weeks, but mostly relied on REST, Ibuprofen, and topical application of OTC Hydrocortisone 1% (little response/relief) and Arnica.

I still use the Arnica (I use Traumeel, and the new branding, T-Relief) cream. It tingles at first, then eases the itching, although it is intended to heal the bruise. I regularly use coconut oil anyway, so I think I will increase that.

I hope this doesn't become an ongoing issue, loke ao many have mentioned!
My bruises have been doing this for years and recently I've been trying to think back to a time when they didn't and work out what may have caused the change. I'm wondering if there is anything which we all have in common which may have triggered this response. It seems to puzzle GPs with the only suggestion being that it's an allergic reaction. But why would anyone become allergic to their natural healing process? I wonder if blood type has any bearing on this? Mine is 0- and seems to have been affected following a blood transfusion 25 years ago.
I also have been having this happen to me for about 3 years now, I thought I was crazy until I found this thread. The only thing for me is the rash starts up while my bruise is still pretty dark blue. Like I broke a bone in my foot Thursday night, the bruising really started to show by Saturday and the rash also started that day. I use steroid cream and OTC allery pills to keep it from spreading beyond the bruise. It is just so bizarre to be allergic to ones own blood.
This is crazy! I didnt know this was a thing. I thought I was imagining it at first because the drs kept saying it must have originated from a bug bite. I find it interesting that many of us had this start after bruising to our lower legs. Also to comment on the above post i am O- bood type as wrll. Mine was my shins in a car accident. I was in an accident in December and after 1 month the itching started. Then last month the itching started to raise up to welts and I broke out in hives on my calfs and ankles. After two weeks it spread to my arms. I got on a steroid which lessened it but didnt go completely away. The steroids ran out and its starting to slowly itch more and cause new welts around the site of the bruising. I hope this doesn't continue after this bruising finally heals.
I am rh negative too! It started on my shins as dark bruises which faded to green then yellow and now this weird rough dented lump on each shin. It has been a month and isn't going away
I had a blood transfusion and they messed up the IV resulting in a hematoma on my left arm. As it became a dark purple bruise I put ice on it. Then after a few days the bruise began  to fade in spots. Then a rash formed in those spots. I tried benadryl and cream and later baby powder. Nothing helps the itching much.
Yes I am allergic to nickel and I also got a rash when my hematoma from iv transfusion started to heal
I have Small brown bruises all over and they turn rush In to a rash and they are itchy and pain full
Same here bruise on inner arm now itchy bumps that drive me mad never ever had itchy skin anywhere but this is driving me mad
I'm a DO and believe it's a reaction to bile salts. I've had the same reaction a couple of times. Papular pruritic rash (red itchy bumps), margins exactly matching the edge of a bruise. Occurred toward end of the yellow/green phase. Both times, the bruise was particularly dark and the rash was along the inferior margin. Because it occurred in the area where the yellow/green color was most dense (inferior margin, pooling due to gravity I'm guessing) my thought was that it's a reaction to the bile acids released from the RBC's breaking down. Similar to the cholestasis and pruritic papules of pregnancy.  For non-medical readers:  the initial blue/purple color of a bruise is from red blood cells released into the skin. As the cells are broken down, the color turns yellow/green due to the release of bile salts from the RBC's. Red blood cells carry bile salts as a way of recycling them. If you've ever seen bile, you can see why the yellow/green stage of a bruise is related to it. Bile salts cause red, itchy bumps on the skin - Google some images of cholestasis and pruritic papules of pregnancy. Hope this helps!
L_S_Hall, it would be so helpful if you could recommend a solution/treatment.

I, too, believe this is an allergic reaction to the healing process.  My own hematoma on my lower leg was healing nicely, then erupted into an intensely itchy, red, blistery rash on the bruise site as it was turning yellow.  I place stock in what you are saying, L_S_Hall (I am a Ph.D. and only use D.O.'s like yourself, not M.D.'s).

I am interested in some of the commonalities here which may help us understand our phenomenon. I, too, am menopausal, aged 50.  This has never happened to me before.  I, too, had a blood transfusion.  I am blood type A+.  I am sometimes anemic. I am watching my A1C begin to climb, but I am not diabetic and am working hard not to be.  Otherwise, very, very healthy.  Anyone see any commonalities running through this thread?

Thanks to the Mayo Clinic for providing us a place to come together.  We are not crazy, folks!