Bruise turned into rash

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Bruise turned into rash

I had blood draw a little over a week ago. The site turned into a large dark bruise approx. 3 inches across. The bruise turned to the characteristic yellow a few days ago, and was almost completely gone. Today, I noticed itching where the bruise had been, and I now have small raised itchy bumps exactly where the bruise was. I put cortisone cream on the rash; however, it burned quite a bit, and the itching is pretty intense. What would cause a bruise to turn into a rash when it heals?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

It is normal for the bruise to turn yellow before it completely heals. However, with the presence of rash and itching appearing at the site may indicate post inflammatory reaction. In particular, post inflammatory pigmentation usually emerge after recovery from an inflammation of the skin.  The skin will exhibit patches or dots of darkened areas that may also be due to episodic traumas which include burns or puncture wounds. Most persons who suffer from post-inflammatory pigmentation will heal with time.  Normally, their pigmentation will return to normal as the skin sheds the the outermost skin layer or the epidermis. If this persists, it would be best to see your dermatologist for proper management. Take care and keep us posted.
I've looked up information on post inflammatory reaction, and most of the things I can find have to do with pigmentation. The rash I have is not lighter or darker spots on the skin. It's like an allergy rash. There are raised red bumps in the area where the bruise was, almost as though I'm having an allergic reaction to the bruising. I have had problems with skin rashes in the past, and my allergist ran tests a few months ago that indicated I tested positive for an autoimmune disorder; however, I was told the tests could have been a false positive, so I really didn't need to be concerned. It just seems strange to develop an allergy rash after having a bruise. It's almost as though I'm allergic to my own blood.
I am a general internist who has a patient who regularly develops an allergic-type rash overlying a bruise - any bruise for any reason.
I am equally puzzled that someone could be allergic to some component or breakdown product of their own blood, without showing any other sign of disease.
I have seen the rash on my patient, and I agree, it looks like a typical allergic rash.  I can only tell you that he has had this for years and has not so far developed any other sign of blood or immune disorder.  Wish I could be of more help.
John Cary, MD
Manassas, Virginia
Same thing happened to me.I fell 3 weeks ago. After a few days my entire leg was bruised from knee to toes, no pain. Then my shin area got this horrible rash over the bruise. All of my skin is now recovered except for this terrible itching rash. So I know how  mysterious this is to you and how badly I want to know what it is.
I was kicked by a horse two weeks ago and now i have a very itchy rash exactlly where the bruise was. i have never had a bruise this bad before so i don't know if it is normal or not. Does anyone know how long the itching usually lasts or does it not ever stop? HELP!
I fell in the dog park onto my knee about 2 weeks ago.  My knee was swollen and sore for a day or two, then turned dark dark blues and reds and then the very next started to itch.  My doctor friend said, "maybe your knee landed in poison ivy?"... haha.  That's pretty much what it looked and felt like.  (But, no, the dog park is all regular lawn grass.)   The knee was still slightly swollen, like a pocket of fluid above the cap. Not too painful, really, and I could walk on it just fine.   The bruise was slowly fading, but the itching was awful.  Then two days ago, I was camping, and knelt down on the knee by mistake, and sorry to be gross, but it felt like the fluid pocket popped... my knee burned on the inside for a few minutes (while the fluid drained?) and then felt fine.  Today, the itching rash is COMPLETELY GONE.  I am really bewildered by this!   Just googled "knee bruise rash" and found this site.
I'm having the same problem.  I had a very deep bruise (I think a busted blood vessel) from when I ran into my car door.  It healed over a few days and then the exact pattern of the bruise turned into a raised red very itchy rash.  
I've had an issue with small rashes over the last year which I think might be thrush related and I wondered if a pH change at the bruise site cause the rash or if it is autoimmune like you suggested.  Good to know we're not alone!
For about the past 2 years, I've been experiencing bruises that are dark purple and then seem to "bleach out" after a couple days or so. At about that same time, the intense itching occurs with a red bumpy raised rash that takes up the exact size/shape of the original bruise. It seems that once I start scratching it at all, the more intense the itching becomes. In February of 2007, I fell with all my weight on my left knee in a kneeling position. Immediately, it ballooned up and was severely bruised. Within a few days, the itchy raised red rash completely filled in all areas of bruising. The doctor prescribed antibiotics at that time with TOTAL bedrest as he thought it may be a cellulitis. I couldn't seem to convince him of my "bruise allergy" theory!! I haven't seen a dermatologist yet, but any other doctor seems to deny the possibility that I could actually be "allergic to my own bruises"! It's a very frustatrating situation...
has anyone else figured anything out on this issue?  a similar thing just happened to me.  a rather deep bruise on my thigh turned into a poison-ivy like rash right in the center.   it's such a strange thing, and has never happened to me before.
Wow I can't believe I found others with the same problem.  This is the second time a rash has appeared in the same spot and shape of a deep bruise.  Regular bruises don't seem affected.  I have a terrible rash with raised bumps that are driving me nuts.  It has been a month. First the doctor told me it was vasculitis.  The meds he gave me didn't work so he sent me to a dermatologist. The dermatologist says the bruise and the rash are not connected.  Bull.... I know my own body and it is not a coincidence.  Maybe once but not twice.  He told me it was due to my weight.  He gave me an ointment cyclocort and told me to come back in 6 weeks.  Now my arms and legs are itching like crazy.  I really wonder if it is an autoimmune problem.  Now how do I convince my doctor we need to try more test?
I'm just wondering if there are any updates on this condition.  I've been dealing with this issue for the past two weeks.  I had bruising from injection sites.  The bruising was painless but incredibly dark in color, faded quickly and began to develop into an itchy rash when healing seemed almost complete.  I have checked the side affects of the medication I was using and see nothing similar listed.  I find the subject little discussed anywhere online...

Are there any suggestions for what to use to control the itching?

How long does it take for the rash to go away?

I am not a doctor nor do I play one on tv so the little information that I have found on the bruise/rash connection is strictly lay person material.  I too have had this happen a number of times.  I bruise easily but don't have the itch and bumps with every bruise, seemingly just the deeper bruises/hematomas. I have pernicious anemia so have to do vitamin B injections and sometimes have gotten the rash at injection sight.  Because of occasional contact dermatitis due to allergies, I intially thought that the redness and itch might be related to that, but after a few times having the itch and bumps cover the exact area of the (beginning to heal) bruise figured it had to be something else.  I recently read a brief response by a doctor to someone asking about this issue.  Basically the explanation was that the fluids released and blood clotting process that occurs in the healing of a deep tissue contusion also stimulates the body's histamine response- thus the itchy, redness, bumps, etc. that are common when the body has the histamine response an allergen.  This made alot of sense to me because the way I understood it, the body is having the same chemical/physical whatever reaction as it does to an allergen, only the origin isn't an allergen, its the body's physiological response to the injury and beginning the healing process. I don't know any of the technical terms as to why or how this happens and this is a very crude representation of the process and explanation I read to be sure. It seems to make alot of sense with the reaction being the exact injury/bruise/fluid area.  Of the possibly related explanations that I have come across- immune disease, cirrhosis of the liver- it fits best with what I have experienced and my health.  The anemia may be related because of blood protein, iron, etc. but I am in good general health and don't have any of the serious illnesses that I found in relation to "bruising and itching."  For relief I think the suggestion was an oral anti histamine and mentioned that topical creams will not help much.  I think beyond that, its wait it out.  One thing that I will throw out there as well.  Now that I have had this occur a few times, I think a couple of years ago I was misdiagnosed as having shingles.  My alleged bout with shingles was atypical from what I am told- extremely itchy, no pain or nausea, didn't spread, etc.  The area affected at that time, on my side, started as a bruise as well.  I have had this reaction on both sides of my body and following injury which doesn't really fit with shingles.  The doctor I read commented in  the few patients he has seen with this response, none of them was seriously ill and it always seemed to go away.  I came across this on a biking site and was glad to find it.  Hope the doc's information is accurate and that it helps.          
i think i am alergic (allergic) to my oun blood too i only get the rash after a blood test bruise but it turns into something like poison ivy after the bruise starts to fade i hate getting blood test i have ask 4 or 5 drs. about this but no one seems to know any thing about this as a matter of fact they look at me like i am stupid if you find out any thing let me know please    mommo327
My husband has been experiencing the same thing, having the itch and bumps cover the exact area of the (beginning to heal) bruise.
I'm wondering if it has something to do with the meds that he is on.  He had a stent put in about 6 months ago and is now taking 40mg of Zocor, 75mg of Plavix and 325mg of asprin daily.  Does anyone else take these meds? Should he speak with his cardio dr, internist or dermatologist?
I am a patient at a weight loss clinic that uses bi-weekly vitamin B injections as a supplement to the weight loss program.  I have had these weekly injections for over 4 months in the fatty skin of the hip (alternating weekly).  2 weeks ago, I bruised horribly on the left hip after a routine injection.  About 3 days later, I noticed I had a red, raised bumpy and itchy rash where the bruise was diminishing.  Then, about 7 days ago, I had ran into something and I developed a bruise under the right arm (long from scraping against something) and a few days later, a red, raised, bumpy and itchy rash developed.  I am at a loss.  I did ask the weightloss doctor today and she told me to take an antihistimine.   Is something in my blood attacking these areas?  I am at a loss?  
So i bruise really easily and three weeks ago ran into a bed frame and really had a bad bruise (and it urt like hell). Now the bruise is gone but very quickly after it healed i have a bad rash in the same area.  This has happened before and it went away..but this one seems a lot worse...took a benadryl and maybe it will help.  Can anyone figure this out?
I wanted to update this situation.  I went to the Dr and he made something up about my weight, blood vessels, etc.  He said the location of the rash was coincidental.  Yeah, right!  Anyway, my rash (have had since a bruise in January) improved so much that I thought it was finally subsiding.  But............when the warm weather hit it came back in full force.  Keep us up to date if you have found anything that helps.
I get bruises all the time, since I am on Coumadin and Plavix for an artificial heart valve.  I now have one of my bigger bruises, which began pure black about the size of a baseball.  As it began to turn yellow a raised, itchy rash formed that covers the bruise but doesn't extend past it.  There's no way it's not related!  I also have allergies that make me prone to hives, so I'm thinking the allergy guess is probably right on.
Ive been having the same experiences with a rash over my bruises when they start to heal (4 yrs now). i just went to the dermatologist (7-14-09) and he stated that there is a skin condition where you CAN be allergic to your own blood. He mentioned the exacted name of it but i wasnt paying much attention. He said that there was still spectical doctor to this theory, but there was indeed a name to all of our mysterious symtoms (symptoms). I'm awaiting a biopsy test now, but i will call the doctor's office and ask him the exact name again and post it on here in a weeks time. As for the itching waiting it out or ask your doctor for an anti itch spray, yes there is such a thing i have it.
The name for it is Autoerythrocyte Sensitization, it basically means your allergic to your own blood......
I walked into a piece of furniture and in front of my leg half way below the knee to my ankle I received a scrape which bled and had severe bruising.  As the scrape started to heal I noticed that my bruising wasnt although the swelling had reduced. The area around the bruising felt softer than other areas of my leg and that area now for the last 5 years has always been dry, itchy and a dark patch comes up similar to bruising whenever I do itch that area.  Once told doc about it who prescribed some cream which did nothing.  Decided to live with it despite how annoying it is.
I too fell on a metal car barrier. I was climbing over it and lost my footing and came down on it landing on the inside of my thigh. A bruise quickly developed and I had it for about 2 weeks. It began to heal and was almost completely gone. But suddenly a red, itchy rash appeared! I have had it for three days and it is not going away! Looks alot like poison ivy! There was no posion ivy near where I fell and I had on long pants. The fall did not cause my jeans to rip... just caused the bruise. The rash is directly where the bruise had been. I am a 45 year old woman who does bruise easily and have NEVER had a rash after a bruise! Very itchy, bothersome and strange! I investigated the Autoerythiocyte Senzation theory and DO NOT believe this is my case at all. Does anyone have any answers? How long will this last?
Wow, I am not alone!!  I had a tooth pulled about 3 weeks ago.  I developed a huge bruise on my chin which was most likely caused by the numerous shots I needed for this procedure.  The bruise lasted about a week and went away.  About a week later a smaller bruise appeared in the same general area.  That went away after a couple days and then this itchy sore rash appeared in the same area as the second bruise.  I am trying some essential oils that have been beneficial for the itching but the rash has remained for about 3 days now.  I will report back if this helps.  
I really cant believe so many of us have the same issue; and no one knows what the reason is?  In May I closed the car door on my leg.  It left a deep bruise; that is still there.  About a month ago I went to the Dr because I had not been feeling well.  I had a sinus infection; virus and female bacteria issue.  In conjunction with that; the bruise from May has turned brown and has a horrible raised itchy rash?  The first time I when I was at the Dr's they told me it was just a coincidence that the raised itchy rash appeared on my buise and was the same exact size?  I was told it was a fungal rash?  Really?  So I have an infection, a virus, and bacterial and a fungal rash??  I was told to go to the drug store and get fungal cream.  I followed these instructions.  The rash got worse; I went back to the Dr as follow up to all of the other things and metioned the rash issue.  They gave me a prescription strength fungal cream.  A week later and the area is lumpier then ever - itchy and warm to the touch.  I'm at a loss??  What is it and how can I make it go away!  Why is my body getting hit with all of this stuff at once?  Why does the Dr continue to say is just a coincidence that this awful rash is on top of a buise - it goes no further then the buries - if it was fungal; would it not migrate out and around the buise?  Looking for some relief and some answere's!  
Ok so this is how mine happened...I had a shoulder injury almost five months ago...doctors have given me some different anti inflammatory  meds..well one of them was celebrex...I didn't notice it at first but a few weeks after I started taking it I started getting really itchy..I figured ahh dry skin and bug bites...but no matter how much lotion I put on and when the bug bites went away I was still itching(I started scratching so hard i was causing bruises all over..and also some I don't know how I got them..I counted 15 bruises some of them huge) . it seemed to get worse and worse. So when I looked at side effects of celebrex on the packaging it said itching...and online it was listed also unusual bruising..So that seemed to explain it..I tried calling the doctor that prescribed it but he didn't call me back and at that point I was to see a different doctor..Finally at this point i stopped taking it and after a week it went away...So i never mentioned it to the doctor...Well now its back...itching...bruising and now i notice there is a rash.I keep putting Hydrocortisone cream on it and it doesn't seem to help..i have no idea what to do.
oh and also Around the time i had started taking Celebrex they had given me some cortizone shots in my shoulder....and they just gave me a more recent one two weeks ago I wonder if it may have something to do with that and an allergic reaction from that...atleast for me...I don't know this is really pissing me off it itches like poison ivy!!
I posted Sept 13th about a rash that had developed from a bruise after dental work.  I have tried many things to get rid of it with only temporary relief and was given a wrong diagnosis 2 times before seeing a wonderful doctor who knew what she was looking at.
My bruise apparently had an opening to the inner tissues and I developed facial CELLULITUS.  The rash had spread from the original bruise area, my left jaw, under my chin to the right side, up towards my right eye and down my neck.  I was treated with 2 heavy duty antibiotics that worked for awhile and then the rash took off again,  I am now on IV antibiotics and doing well.  It is clearing up quickly, I am on day 3 of 10.  
I did find RELIEF FROM THE ITCHING!!  A friend had a rash with terrible itching and passed on her answer to the problem.  I used ARNICA MONTANA GEL which is purchased from my local natural health store.  I put a thin layer of arnica on the affected area and then cover that with AQUAPHOR (thin vaseline type product found in any store with the lotions)  that keeps the skin moist.  It tingles for about a minute and then the itch went away....every time!!!  The relief lasts from 1-4 hours and then I had to wash it off and reapply.  Not long lasting but it works, well worth the time spent.
Cellulitis is a bacterial infection that starts in the tissues under the skin but can spread from there to cause major problems.  You may want to mention this to your doctor as a possibility.  Cellulitis can occur at any area of the body, not only the face.
In February of 2007 I scraped my leg at the local swimming pool, this turned into a rather dark deep bruise, when the bruise had almost gone I developed an itchy rash. This rash came and went off and on for about 18months before finally going, in september this year I fell and bruised my thigh quite badly, again after the bruise healed a rash appeared to cover the bruise site, then it reappeared on the original site. I use oral antihistamine and Antroquoril cream, it doesn't stop the itching totally but does offer some relief. The warm weather seems to play a part in how bad the rash is. A demertoligist I saw in 2007 said it was urticaria, think it's all just guess work though
I too had a bad bruise from a piece of wood falling on my shin. As the bruise has healed it has turned into a lumpy almost blisterlike rash. I do suffer from many allergies and have been having desensitisation injections for almost 3 yrs...have not mentioned this to my allergy doc as I thought it was unrelated. NOW I am not so sure.....I have also had cellulitis in the past so am now a bit worried after reading so many entries talking about cellulitis...BUT suffice to say it itches like crazy I could willingly tear my leg apart when it gets really bad....am now trying Neosporin
I get this also. It started this year. I had bruises on my knees and they itched terribly. Kind of forgot about it until i got slammed in between some gates by a crazy heifer. I got 2 deep bruises on my arms. This morning, they are very itchy and have poison ivy bumps over them. Its crazy so many people went to a doctor and got stupid diagnosis.
I'm kind of wondering, everyone seems to know what a poison ivy rash looks like. My itchy bruising started this year and in Jan i got poison ivy so bad on my hands up to my armpits, so bad my skin just fell off. Could that oil stay in a persons blood? Its just a thought...
I also want to comment that i take no medications, I'm a healthy weight, I'm a nonsmoker, nondrinker, live isolated and have no chronic illnesses. I'm typically not allergic to anything. I use nothing on my skin, no lotions what so ever. I would say that i have limited outside influences. The only thing that could have changed anything was that horrible case of poison ivy.
Just a quick note. I have had this same problem, (see March 2009 above)  This summer I went to an accupuncturist as a last resort for a migraine.  I asked her about my leg and she wasn't sure what to tell me but would treat the area.  She put in a few pins and in about a week the rash started to go away.  I still feel an odd sensation like the issue is still there but there have been no "eruptions."
I accidentally hit my wrist against a wall corner and developed a small bruise.  I bruise pretty easily, but have not been diagnosed with anemia, I actually have a good iron count.  I am prone to skin irritations, and get contact dermatitis randomly (I think I'm allergic to dust mites).  I'm currently taking Acanya for acne (I started the regimen about 1 month ago), but that is the only medicine that I am taking.  I am 5'5 & 120 lbs - so I would say that I am of a healthy weight (though I may not be particularly healthy - exercise repels me).  It's currently winter in Texas - meaning it's pretty humid, rainy, and just slightly chilly. I thought it was strange that after the bruise began to heal that a small rash appeared where the bruise is beginning to fade (though it's currently still slightly yellow).  I've never had a brush with poison ivy, but the rash looks similar to the bouts of contact dermatitis that I've had, though it initally looked like a flea attacked my bruise.  I've abstained from scratching, but it is very irritating. I'm hoping that it will just vanish on its own - no health insurance, and too small of an area to warrant a $100 bill from the doctor.  Thanks to everyone for reporting what they've learned - nice to know that I'm not alone....
hey guys, when you have a bruise, the tissue is damaged, and it makes a little pool of blood, thats what the color is. so, that part of the skin on top of the bruise doesnt get the normal blood circulation, so its kinda like an infection over the area. its very minor, just put cortisone, or ice on it when it itches and let it continue to heal. the main thing is to not push or harass the knot too much, because it could unnaturally dislodge the lump instead of breaking down slowly. this would be a problem if the bruise is actually a clot (which you wouldnt be able to tell unless you got a sonogram) which would mean it was in your bloodstream and the clot could travel to your heart. SO long story short-- hydrocortisone, or benadryl cream or ice packs and time are the best way to go. Dont break the skin by itching!!
oh also, the reason why it burned is likely that there is broken skin on the rash from itching.. sorry... :(
let it heal..
I'm 48 and have had a few bruises in my day. I've never had a rash over a bruise until this last year. So, i dont think its a normal part of the healing bruise.
I have bruised easily all my life of 58 years. Two days ago I fell down a few steps and bruised both knees. Today I have a red raised rash over and around the bruises and I don't recall scratching. I could describe the rash as having hundreds of little red scabs. Also, my ears bled briefly from 3 places at little 'pointy,' bumpy parts around the edges of the ears. Not from inside the ear. I've never had this happen before.

***@****
My daughter recently had blood tests done and her arm is reacting the same as many of you described. (Hers is a little farther down her arm, like a streak but not moving any further.) While she was in chemo treatment tho, the docs did find out that she was allergic to blood products and took benedryl before any transfusions. Reading this site, it all makes a lot of sense now. I am wondering how many people are allergic to blood? Intresting thought!
I have recently healed from a fall on a mountain bike.  I had a deep scratch and an area that was more like a road rash where the top layer of skin was removed from the fall.  This all healed quite nicely but was itching as it healed and I noticed a rash the other day in the same exact area where I had the injury.  It was also deeply bruised in this area as well as you might imagine.   I too believe it is a reaction to the healing process as well.  I do however have several auto immune diseases (Multiple Sclerosis, Thyroiditis, eczema and psoriasis.  So to have this happen to me doesn't surprise me however to all of you that have good health I am quite baffled.
I also fell and had a huge bruise..the bruise healed and I had a red raised rash ONLY where the bruise was. I had it for months!!! I used cortisone ointments,sprays,gels... nothing worked. I was put on a medrol dose pack for my back.. now finally after 4 months it is actually healing. I asked my Dr what it was and he said he had seen it before but just said use the cortisone oint's....w/ no real explanation. Hope that helps...
Thanks for posting your question. I’m sure you’ve helped a lot of people.

My situation is similar to what I’ve been reading in these posts. I’ll start with the one detail that I haven’t read so far. The skin in the area of my rash is hard and almost leathery. I was told that the medical term is “indurated” (definition: hardened, as a soft tissue that becomes extremely firm).

For anyone interested I’m including my details. Three weeks ago I was barefoot and rushing around when I went from a wet floor to a marble first step and literally went flying. With both feet in the air I bounced down five pointy marble steps on my back, hips, buttocks and upper right leg. The bruises were huge and looked horrendous but the pain (after the initial bouncing) was minimal. My fiance’ credited my having extra “fluffy” (body fat) protecting me.

The experience turned into a reminder of how life can turn on a dime. One wrong “hit” could have meant a concussion, broken bones or a life in a wheelchair.

Last weekend I was working with some large shrubs that were damaged by the winter snow and the next day I started itching just below my right hip, the area that took the worst hit. And the only spot that was “treated” with an ice pack immediately after the fall.

Bactine stopped the itching for hours at a time. The next day a rash appeared. Because I was working with the shrubs we surmised that it was poison ivy. But it didn’t look like poison ivy and it didn’t make sense because I was wearing sweats and the area with the rash was covered. Then my fiance’ connected the rash with the bruise.

I have medical insurance and don’t normally avoid doctors, but experience has taught me that doctors are often clueless when it comes to “offbeat” symptoms so I took to the web and found this site and I’m glad I did. Thanks everyone!

I have this also. Don't know what it is, but putting Vick's Vapor Rub seems to help some.
I have a similar but different problem, that has me puzzled. I start out with a itchy bump that turns into a bruise. It's  not from scratching it so hard that  makes it turn into a bruise and I don't recall "hitting" it any where.
I also have areas, like arms and legs, that itch and turn into a bunch of little bumps like hives but these don't turn into bruises. Anyone know what this is???  Thanks
Add me to your list.  Same thing, bruise almost healed developed raised red bumps that itch.  I know that sometimes bruises itch when healing so I thought that maybe it was a rash caused by bacteria under my nails from itching the healing bruise.  Don't know, wish someone did.
I can't believe all the folks who have posted on this issue.  I thoguht I was alone.  About a month or two ago, I got a bad bruise moving a picnic table.  Huge and dark.  Then after it cleared, a equally large rash.  Hideous.  It's almost healed, but not quite.  What gives?  It does appear like a poison ivy rash...
I always bruised easily, but even more so since I've been on Coumadin (about 2 1/2 years now).  I always get a bruise around the injection site after blood work.  A few weeks ago, as a particularly large bruise healed, I broke out in an itchy rash the EXACT size and shape of the fading bruise.  I thought it was so weird but didn't think any more about it.  It went away by itself in a few days.

As I write this comment, a red pimply itchy rash is rising on my other forearm directly above my latest blood work bruise!  That's what brought me to this site, and I'm so glad I did because I was afraid there was something seriously wrong with me!

I still wonder, though, why didn't this ever happen to me before?
In May, I took a nasty fall at the baby pool of a resort in FL.  Huge balck bruise developed on my buttocks.  Several days later, as the bruise was healing, an intensely itchy rash developed exactly on top of, and only on, the bruise.  The 1st dr I saw said I had a fungal infection and prescribed an appropriate cream.  When it wasn't better a week later and the rash seemed to have spread, I went to a partner dr and was told to stop that cream and was given another cream and some oral meds to take to reduce the itching.  A few days later, the itching was so bad it was making me crazy.  I ended up seeing my allergist (a whole slew of oral meds given), a dermatologist (different meds and cream), and finally ended up in the ER when I was nearly out of my mind with the itching and the rash in various locations on my body.  There I got a cortisone shot and a 10/12-day course of prednisone.  Shortly after I started the steroids, the rash and itching disappeared.

About 3 days after I stopped the steroids, the rash returned, as itchy as ever.  Tried some of the same meds again, but it wasn't until I got the steroids again that it cleared up.  BUT...several days after I stopped the steroids, the rash returned AGAIN!  And I am still trying to cope with it.  I am very reluctant to return to the steroids, since they have bad side effects and they only temporarily clear up the problem.  And the steroid creams are out, since they cause the skin to thin.  So right now I am just applying ordinary hand lotion (no fragrances or colors) several times a day to reduce the itching, but the rash is still there and spreading.

No one seems to know what to do to take care of this rash, or cares enough to work toward a permanent solution.  Don't know what I'll do next if the itching becomes intolerable again.  Wish someone had answer!  I have never had anything like this before that fall, and I have to believe it is related somehow, but how?  Any ideas out there?
I wonder if this is gender related. It would be interesting to know if most of the above are women and what their age is. I'm 48 and a woman..i'm perimenopausal and still have all my parts and i take no hormones or on any type of medications...
My bruises have been turning itchy since I turned 50 y.o. or so. After having a needle biopsy on my breast, I was left with one heck of a bruise and the subsequent itching around day two was just beginning.  Looking for something to help the bruise heal faster, I found a post that recommended (after 48 hours) applying heat compresses. I used a heating pad on medium for 20 minutes, 4-5 times/day. Not only has this really helped with the discoloration, I had NO MORE itching.

•1 Rest the bruised area. This permits the blood to clot more quickly, which limits the spread of blood beneath the skin.

•2 Apply a cold compress to the bruise'20 minutes on, 20 minutes off'as often as you can for the first day or two. The cold will constrict blood vessels and help keep the bruise from spreading. Never apply ice directly to the skin. Always use an ice pack or a cold compress.

•3 Avoid aspirin until the bruise has started to heal. Aspirin is an anticoagulant, which prevents blood from clotting as quickly. Blood that does not clot spreads more extensively underneath the skin.

•4 Take acetaminophen for pain. This does not affect clotting.

•5 Apply a warm, wet compress after the first 48 hours to reduce pain and swelling. Heat is recommended once the blood has stopped spreading around the bruise. Heat dilates blood vessels, which will help speed the sweeping away of blood cells from around the ruptured vessels.

I'm so glad I found this forum.  I recently had a medical procedure at the small of my back that resulted in deep, black bruising that lasted over two weeks.  When the bruise began to heal, I developed a rash that has driven me crazy for a month.   I went to my general practictioner who said it was an infected fungal rash  He wanted to give me a steroid shot but I declined so prescribed a steroid cream and antibiotics.  Two weeks of that did absolutely nothing.  I then went to a dermtologist sure that she would know exactly what it was, but she had absolutely no clue.  However she said it wasn't bacterial or fungal.  She gave me Taclonex ointment that has started to clear it up in just two days.  She also suggested that I take an over the counter Benedryl at night to help dry it up, assist in the itching and allow me to sleep (much needed after a month without sleep due to itching).    

Like some of you, the area was hard, lumpy and itched horribly with solid mass of bumps.  In just the few days of treatment, 90% of the rash is gone, 80% of itching has subsided and the lumpy hardness is gone.     I suggest those of you who haven't had relief to see a dermatologist and ask for this type of ointment.   I hope you have good results as well.
Women -46 years old. This has now happened twice. But unlike what most people have seemed to have posted, the rash I have experienced is below or adjacent to where the existing bruise was located. I take no medicine and have no other medical issues. As I write, I was previously bruised lateral (outside) of right mid forearm and rash presented on inner mid forearm. Previous site was bruise to left hip with rash 5 to 6 inches below bruise. Bruise (blood) does run down--gravity. Anyone else experience this?

Christy
I'm not crazy!!!
Just to add to the list...which is surprisingly long...I fell about 4 weeks ago on my left hip/thigh and got a really really deep bruise, which, while bruised, was much "mushier" than the surrounding non-bruised skin/muscle. after the bruise was all but gone, it started itching and has gotten progressively worse. I've had a rash on the same spot for over 2 weeks now. I've NEVER had a rash (other than chicken pox as a child and poison ivy) before...
I thought it was a coincidence until about a week after the first rash, a 2nd one appeared just after a really deep bruise on my buttocks (ran into a cabinet door corner) healed. The buttocks rash didn't last nearly as long as the leg one. (which I'm wondering if it could be because the one on my hip sits directly under the seam for the pants I wear and is therefore under more pressure/aggrevated more regularly.)

I'm glad I found this site...I won't waste my time going to a doctor who probably will just prescribe a cream (which I already tried and it seemed to get WORSE.) I wonder if it could be a vitamin deficiency related phenomenon? I've always suspected something isn't right with my levels, as I bruise if I even look at a hard surface...and lately my diet hasn't been the best...so perhaps it's compounded now? Who knows...I think I'll pick up some veggies at the grocery tonight anyway.

May not know what's going on, but at least I know I'm not the only one now...
I don't know if it's gender related or not.  I am a 34 year old male. I scratched my arms climbing over (falling haha) a stucco wall my arms were pretty scratched up. (no bruising) My right side healed normally, my left arm (inside from wrist to elbow) healed fine as well, although it looked like it would possibly scar. All of a sudden every scratch had tiny bumps on it. they ran along the length of each scratch. They itch like crazy and flare up worse at night it seems. I have never had allercig reactions in my life and am a healthy guy. It is so weird!!! Now the area all around the scratch is a rash. It looks like the initial scratches have healed and it is just the rash running along the slight scars.
I am so relieved to find I am not alone!

My story is fairly typical, massive bruise on thigh after fall and itching rash appearing as the bruise was starting to heal.

BUT my rash is moving!!! Its not necessarily getting bigger, and it has now split over two distimct areas, but it is slowly (over 2 months) moving away from the original site. The skin which has been affected by the rash, now about the size of a dinner plate, is discoloured, slightly purple and softer and smoother than it was before.

I tried all sorts of treatments, but the one that offers reliable relief is vinegar! White vinegar (5%) diluted 1:1 with water, and just soak a flannel in this and apply for 20 min twice a day. But sadly it is no cure!

Has anyone else experienced their rash moving slowly?
wow i also have had this happen. I am 34 bruise pretty easy and my bruises take a long time to go away. the one i have that has the rash i got almost a year ago and it was a hematoma bruise (that's what the dr. said) i hit my upper ankle on a stool 2 times same place ended up with a hard lump bruise. hurt for months then got an itchy small rash on it and it went in an upside down triangle. itched for a few days then no itching but i still have the rash and the bruise is still there just not as dark as it was when first got it. the rash isn't as bad as it was before. just small red dots. glad i am not alone in bruising with a rash.
I also had gotten a bruise on my left upper thigh a couple months after the ankle one and no rash but it took a long time to heal and now at first glance looks like it is gone. but in certain lights or angles you can see where the bruise was at. it is dark under the skin.
Me, too.  Somehow, even when it is a mild problem, when you see the rash in the EXACT same size and shape of the bruise, you know it's weird and connected.  My bruise was black to yellow from no known origin on the back of my hand near thumb.  Rash distinctly red with dark red spots and very itchy.  My mom had eczema and was allergic to her own blood.  May be a clue, except that I've never had allergies.  65 year old female.  I've never run into such a concurring forum on such a specific topic as this.  Dermatology students, start your research.
Im so glad to see that I'm not some medical weirdo! I was a nurse for three years and have gone down the list of many possibilities of what this crazy, swollen rash over my bruised leg might be. I play soccer and took a cleat to my inner thigh. I had three huge bruises for at least a month! I now have obvious scar tissue, and deep bruising that is healing interiorly. What I found so strange was the awful itching occurring on top of the bruise. When scratched it would swell and turn hot and red, like an allergic reaction. Very strange! I'm so glad to see how many others are suffering from this as well. Maybe its time to head to a doctor to get some answers. I find it odd that someone hasn't figured this out yet..hmmmm!! Thank you all or being outlets for our itching and scratching :)
Hi re the comments on rashes.  I had the itching type and was told it was 'cellulitus'.  I have again bruised myself and it has left a red 2inch circle with lumps in it almost like varicus veins (but not blue) the doctor says it is an allergic reaction to the blood from bruising.  
I have found your comments helpful as I suffer a rare auto-immune disease (C.I.D.P) so I am just glad not to be alone with  with these new symptoms      THANKS

THE ANSWER: Drum roll....... BILIRUBIN!!!!

After an exhaustive internet search the only other culprit and best answer I could find that was not already addressed here(cellulitis etc.) is a very nice article by a Doctor acknowledging the itchy rash after a healing bruise is not readily diagnosed.  His thoughtful answer is the bilirubin left by the breakdown of the blood.  I am linking his article on bruising and posting the excerpt regarding why healing bruises itch.

After reading this my suggestion to everyone would be to get sunlight onto the area as jaundice(my babes were born slightly jaundiced) is treated with sunlight to help diminish the bilirubin.  

http://housecalldoctor.quickanddirtytips.com/what-are-bruises.aspx  (sorry dont know why its not a hot link....cut and paste to view)

Rob Lamberts, M.D.

What are Bruises?
A reader named Emily recently asked me the following:
“Dr. Rob, can you tell me about bruises?   What should I do when I get one? And why do they itch? I’ve always wondered about that.”
The medical term for a bruise is hematoma. Bruises happen when part of the body encounters blunt trauma. You can find good examples of blunt trauma every week on the popular TV show America’s Funniest Videos. On the show, people receive blunt trauma in amazing ways and usually in very unfortunate places. Doctors call blunt trauma to the human body a contusion. AFV is accurate, though, as scientists estimate that 25% of all contusions happen when people stand too close to a piñata.

(((There is more to the article but below is the "Why do they itch?" answer))))

Why Do Bruises Itch?
Which brings me to the question that has kept Emily up at night for all these years: why do bruises sometimes itch? While I couldn’t find a definitive reference on this, I have a pretty good guess. One website I found suggested that histamine (one of the substances released to cause inflammation) is the culprit, but that happens early in the process -- not the time when most of the itching occurs.
I think the itch is caused by bilirubin. It is well known that elevated bilirubin levels can make a person’s skin itch (although it’s not clear why it does). It seems reasonable to conclude that the bilirubin produced by a maturing bruise is the source of the itch. That’s my best guess. If anyone can find a more definitive explanation, please send it my way.

(((((Back to my story for comparisons sake))))

I am a 43 yr old female.  Hit my chin hard as heck immediately bruised and swelled up.  Normal pain and round bruise.  About one month into the bruise as it was healing it began to itch.  I scratched it a lot in one session which caused it to feel hot and it was red.  From then on the skin seemed pebbled like a leather purse finish but bigger bumps.  The skin was tougher to the touch and it stayed itchy for the last month.  Sometimes it itches worse than others and a few times it has rashed out of the bruise bounds.  A couple of bumps were itchy down my leg which makes me think it is something bacterial or fungi so Ive gone throught hydrocortisone, antibacterial cream and soap, and now Ive been putting jock itch cream(antifungal) on it for the last four days and the truth is its the best its ever been since starting that.

However, I think the bilirubin is the real culprit.  But, perhaps when we itch the heck out of it we may give the opportunity for bacterial or fungal infection???

I hope some of this helps someone and I agree with the other posters it was a great deal of comfort to see others had EXACTLY the same experience.  

Good luck to you all and I hope you all heal.  Perhaps people could repost when it finally goes away so we get an idea???

I too have been doing the same thing.  I just found out that I have a vitamin D deficiency (normal levels are supposed to be in mid 30's to 100's....mine was 13.  I am looking forward to getting my levels up to see if the bruise rashes stop.  I'll let you know!  I never done it before so maybe this is the answer!
It is so funny that I found this site becuase i have been triyng to self treat a horribly itchy rash covering a giant bruise for 3 months now.  I just got back from Mexico 3 weeks ago and playig in the salt water and having the sunshine on it made it look better than it had in months which makes sense once I read the post about bilirubin effects and how direct sun makes it better.  I feel better knowing that it will get better and maybe once the weather clears and I can wear shorts that the natural sunshine will heal this annoying and ,at times , painful rash.  It looks awful though so I hope I can stand it until it gets better.
UPDATE FROM THE BILIRUBIN POST:

My rash is now gone.  I am convinced that Bilirubin started the initial horrible tickling feeling that made me want to scratch the heck out of my healing bruise.

THEN the rash go worse and Im now convinced due to my scratching it.  It itched for months and then spread.  I finally managed to get myself to the doctors....(ob/gyn god love her for not making me run somewhere else).   She looked at it and though the spottiness of it(areas that were dotted where Id been itching causing the hair follicles to get irritated and rashed) made it NOT look like Cellulitis and the fact it was slower moving than Cellulitis made her think Corticosteroid Cream would work and SHE WAS RIGHT!!

Ive darn near used the whole tube BETA-VAL cream (Betamethasone Valerate Cream USP 15 gram tube) although she did give a refill.  Ive read up on it and its 500 times stronger than over the counter hydrocortisone cream and it immediatedly offered relief from the itch.  The itch remained for about a week but was clearly dissapearing.  I did force myself not to itch and instead reapplied cream when it felt itchy.  I applied 3 times a day and about a weeks worth of treatment and its gone.  Interestingly, the pebbled look to the bruise where it appeared there was fluid or something under the skin(slightly pebbled swollen look) is also gone.

I wanted to give this update because I did read earlier someones post where Corticosteroid cream did not work for someone so I wanted to let all who come hear to know it DID work for me and as I look back I suffered for months probably unnecessarily since I could have gotten the cream at the Doctors much earlier.  Im just so busy.....but needless suffering.

Good luck all..........get thee to the doctor!
I have had this problem for about 15 years and I have had 6 dermatologists exam me.  They suggested everything from Lyme disease to allergic reactions, but to what????? I am convinced my body is allergic to itself!  The rashes hurt more than itch, sometimes.  Please come up with a diagnosis or a case study for us who need answers!  I will gladly be part of a study group.
So glad to hear you had success with the cortizone cream.   Having had a similar problem, whatever it takes to get rid of the itching is worth it.  HOWEVER, these creams are not without side effects, with the main one being thinning of the skin where it was applied.  So, you have to be careful to use them only as long as you really need them.  I ended up using plain old  hand lotion on the itchy area after things had calmed down a lot after the steroid cream did its job, and eventually everything cleared up.  My doctor recommended this approach, to lessen damage to the skin.  It may have taken a little longer, but who knows?  
Thanks so much!! The information is great, and now I know that I am not alone. This is pretty new occurrence for me, just in the last couple of months. I am pretty active, and also bruise fairly easily - always have. So having a small bruise on my leg, doesn't usually warrant much more thought than, 'I wonder when I did that?'. But recently the bruises (especially on my legs) have developed the red itchy rash. Since the bruises were nearly healed when the rash developed, I really could not be sure they were related. However, about 10 days ago, I hit my shin on a treadmill while at the gym. I guess I remember it because because there were others watching. It wasn't an especially hard hit, but it did bruise, and sure enough, as it began to heal, there was the red itchy rash. It starts mainly in the middle of the bruise (and is approximately the same shape), but if I scratch it will expand to the fit the bruise. Very weird, but at least it does not appear to be life threatening. So I guess I'll just deal with it, and hope that I don't get any really large bruises that causing itching in awkward places. Thanks all!
Oh!! Thank goodness! I was starting to get scared! I slipped and fell on my front step while wearing heels in the rain. Anyway, I've had this horrible black bruise on my rear-end for a couple weeks. Yesterday, it began to itch like crazy and I'm continually scratching (it looks really awful now). I will stop scratching now that I know what it is. Just not sure how to get my butt in the sun. I live in an urban area and I have 5 kids. Whew! I'm glad I'm not alone and I don't have some disease!
Thank you again!
This problem happens to me quite often, I asked my vascular doc what makes this happen. He said that when you get a really bad bruise, the blood pools quickly under your skin, forming a deep bruise. When this happens, it damages the sub cuteanus (sp*) layer of skin. The rash forms because the tissue are trying to repair themselves but can't until the bruise heals...hope this helps :)
My husband has the same problem with the rash and itching after he bruised his leg.  He tried cortisone cream but it got alot worse.  So he tried Tinactin Antifungal POWDER SPRAY that goes on dry.  It relieved the itch right away and help the rash.  The rash is still their but this has giving him relief of the servere itch and has calms the rash down.  I hope this will find you relief as well.
I too have experienced this phenomenon, first after some hard judo contact, and recently over my forearm following a first try at archery. Blunt trauma produced a large, well defined bruise, which healed normally, and at the stage where it became a greenish-yellow, a raised, bumpy, discontinuous rash appeared. This was accompanied by intense itching, and the rash did not go away with OTC hydrocortisone ointment (though the itching was temporarily reduced). Past experience has shown me that this is neither a bacterial infection (which can happen in judo from contact with the mats), a superinfection from scratching and depositing bacteria from the fingernails (this can often cause the cellulitis referred to by other posters), nor a fungal infection. After reading a bit on my own and reviewing the posts above, I am liking the bilirubin hypothesis, with free histamine a close second (though this compound tends to be short-lived in most people). Please note: I am not a physician. However, I am a physiology researcher, and what follows is the result of my own experimentation on myself. Your mileage may vary, and please do not take this advice in lieu of seeing a physician. Here goes- after trying direct sunlight, UV light from a high intensity UVA LED array, topical steroids, oral predisone (steroid), NSAIDs (aspirin, naproxen sodium, ibuprofen, etc.), and the aforementioned antifungal/antiseptic creams, 2 things have been successful. Oral prednisone (requires a Rx), and on separate occasions, the capsaicin from a cut hot chili pepper. Capsaicin is a well known antiinflammatory agent, and the easiest, most effective self treatment I have found involves directly rubbing the cut face of the hottest chili pepper I can find on the affected area, and leaving it to dry. A little generic skin lotion helps to spread it evenly, and to absorb into the skin. This helped the itching immediately, and has resolved the rash in as little as 2-3 days (once daily treatment). 2 caveats- don't try this on open or infected skin, and don't touch your eyes, or god forbid, your ano-genital region until you've thoroughly washed the pepper oil from your hands. Trust me on that last one (just a bit of levity).  Sorry for the long post, and I hope this helps some people find relief.
p.s. Rx capsaicin ointments are also available (often used for arthritis inflammation), so you might ask your doctor about that.
Ive been doing this a couple years, i have post way up there. This week i got two bruises on my forearms from using them as forklifts..Both are the same size and in the same spot on each arm. It only took a day for them to totally turn red and itchy, they resemble a whelp more than they do a bruise now and itch terribly. When i first started doing this i'd get more of a rash over the bruise. Now, soon as i get a bruise, they whelp up. These bruises are now several days old and are slowly going down. I've done nothing for them, most of the time i forget they are there, but when i touch one, i remember because that makes them itch. Its just like poison ivy, feels just like it.
With the chili peppers, wonder if i could use chili flakes, re-hydrate them and make a paste out of it to apply to the spots...? I've never really done anything for the spots over the bruises, they always seem to go away on their own, but i'm up for trying anything. I'm not sure if the sun has any effect, i live texas and its had plenty of sun exposure with no effect...My main reason to be here is why, why all of a sudden in my 50 years, this decided to happen and what is causing it....
I recently was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes... I inject myself with a Blood Sugar lowering medication 2 times a day in my belly.  I have been bruising pretty badly and one of the bruises turned into one of these painful, itchy rash.  Very perplexing?
After the last twin buises i had that turned to whelps, a few days later i got another bruise in the same area. The first time in years, it progressed normally. Didnt whelp up, didnt rash over, didnt itch....
Not sure what is different. I pretty much eat the same things, but i did add something else to my diet. Flax seeds. I found some ground seed mill on sale and thought i'd add it to my salad for lunch. It was a week after i started adding it i got the last bruise. Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but its the only thing i've changed. I add about a tablespoon to my salad, so its not like i'm eating tons of it. It may have something to do with it, may not. Just thought i'd pass that on. OH, and i tried pepper paste on one of my bruises to see if it would help. It did stop the itching for a few hours. But since this bruise had a twin, i found out it lengthened the time it went away, the non pepper treated bruise disappeared first. But it did stop itching for a few hours..
I have the same problem with any bruising I get with a rash within a day of the time the bruise first appears. I hate running to the doc about it but I bruise easily and the itchy sensation is so intense!! If I find out the problem I will post it!!
This is a common problem that most physicians..even dermatologists have problems treating properly/effectively.  I have found Clobetasol twice a day to be the most effective in treating this skin problem. Most cases will respond with 6-8 hours and gone in a few days.  Hope this helps. I happened upon it by accident as I frequently had rashes that the doctors could not treat. Even a biopsy could not identify the problem.
Add another one to your list. I am a 56 year old female and recently (about 3 weeks ago) tripped and hit the outside of my left calf. It swelled (no open wound) but surprisingly didn't leave a bruise...surprising to me since I've always bruised like a bananna.I now have a rash over the area that was injured that itches occassionally. The area is warm to the touch and the raised areas that itch are pink and blotchy in color and has fluid under the skin. It appears to be spreading slightly. I noticed it starting to itch after shaving my legs. I try not to scratch the itch with my fingernails. If I have to scratch I do so gently. An allergist found that I do have some allergies. I am currently going to a physical therapist for a pinched nerve in my shoulder from too much weeding in my flower beds. I was treating my shoulder with ice packs and Aleve. I try to stay out of the sun because I have been exposed to too much growing up in GA. I now live in the NW and cover up with sun screen clothing and hats (I hate the topical sunscreen). It's getting cold outside but will try sitting in the window exposing my leg to the sun and taking some D3 supplements. My last blood test didn't show that I was low in Vitamin D, though.  I use Arnicare (arnica) on my shoulder and will try it on the leg, too, to relieve the swelling. I'll get some Benedryl and try that, too. I have a dermatology skin check appt next month and will see what they have to say if it isn't any better by then. Thanks for the tips about Beta-Val, Taclonex ointment, Clobetasol, Benedryl, pepper paste and vinegar and water (that's what I always used after getting sunburned).I'll check into these things, too.  Prednisone would be a last resort for me.
I am a 61 year old female. My 1600 lb Percheron draft horse kicked me in the right shin about 2 - 3 months ago and I had some horrific bruising and swelling at the site. When it started healing I noticed that I had an indention in the bone where he made contact (he was wearing shoes) and a sort of "mushy", for lack of a better word, place just over the indention. It has healed completely but the mushy place has turned into a sort of encapsulated pocket of fluid and I have developed the rumply-skin-with poison-ivy-type-lesions only over the area that was bruised and swollen. Now I've been around awhile and have bruised, broken or otherwise injured just about every area on my body but have never developed this bruise rash phenomenon anywhere else. I have read with interest all of your posts as this has me intrigued, but can't for the life of me figure out why this has just started happening. I have used 2.5% hydrocortisone cream which makes it better but it always seems to creep back. And just in case you are wondering, it was not the horse's fault. He had a crack in his hoof that was tender and I reached down and touched it, facing the wrong direction, and failed to announce my presence. He was more horrified than I was when he realized what he'd done, as he hasn't a mean bone in his body!
Hi. I seem to have the same problem as many of you here. I slipped in a pool in early August (now three months ago) and hit my shin really hard. I put ice on it immediately and elevated my leg. The bruise developed immediately and is still there. It is lighter in color, but still rather blue/gray in color. It is hard and lumpy and has started to itch about 2 to 3 weeks ago. I was concerned that it lasted this long and happened to be at a dermatologist's office and asked him to look at it- this was before the rash started and before it started to itch. He asked if I had a history of blood clots or if I was on birth control- no to both questions. He said since I hit it hard, he thought it looked normal and if it didn't get better in three or so weeks, I should have an MD look at it. I went to the MD last week. She was surprised by the rash and didn't understand what could cause it. She asked if I broke the skin and if there had been a scab- maybe an underlying infection. Again, the answer is no- no broken skin, no scab. She wondered about a fungal infection, but saw no reason as to how that would have happened either. So, she told me to go to a dermatologist. I told her I had already been there, although there was no rash yet at the time. So, she prescribed the Clobetasol. I've been using it for about a week now and really see no improvement. So, I started researching and came across this forum. The comments are all very interesting and I see some common links. I have many allergies and also many undiagnosed allergic reactions. I've had many rounds of bloodwork looking for an autoimmune disease. I also have arthritis in many joints. To date, nothing has been conclusively found and I've stopped going to the Dr's. I try to exercise more, eat healthy and avoid as many allergens as I can. I take Allegra D and Zyrtec daily year round. So, I wonder...is this rash and itch because the area had a trauma and now the histamines have gone crazy there? Or, perhaps the bilirubin idea could be a possibility? I would love to hear more from medical professionals on this topic. I do get hives and rashes and many times cannot pin point their specific cause- usually after I eat or drink something. This rash is exactly on top of (and now starting to branch out around) the bruise. I don't want to keep using the Clobetasol for any length of time. If it is the bilirubin theory, how do I deal with that? It's November and I can't sit in the sun as much as I would love to. Thanks.
It cannot be a coincidence that the rash is on the bruise so if any doctor says that then they don't know what they are talking about. I am going to book an appointment for next week with the doctor and see what they say.
Well, this get more interesting. I had another bruise on the same leg a few weeks ago. The bruise is basically gone, but started to itch yesterday. The area is still sensitive, so I know where it was. What the heck is this and now I wonder if I'll get a rash there as well. Will keep posting as things develop.
i'd just like to add my bizzare story to this. so i do brazilian jiu jitsu and get mat burn a lot also bruising, and for my job i'm around airhorns a lot.  so about a week ago i get airhorned on the right ear by my idiot coworker, during which i had a right-sided headache for 5 days luckily there was no sign of hearing loss.  the healed over/ discolored mat burn and healed bruises i have on the right side of my body all developed an allergic-type small raised bump rash as described in this forum, while the bruises on my left side were still the same.  this is the first time this happened. and the r-sided airhorn, r-sided headace, and r-sided rash that appears on the healed discolored bruises/scabs can't be coincidence.  i'm guessing the stress on my body from the airhorn might have induced an allergic-type reaction to some of the products that occur during the skin healing process....i hope this is a temporary thing...:\
Same thing happened to me.  Deep bruise on thigh about 3x3 inches.  Took about 2 weeks to go away and then there are raised, itchy bumps on skin.  Also during this time had routine blood draw that showed low white blood cell count and low neutrophils.  Had to see a hemotologist who cleared me of any autoimmune diseases.  Been about 1-2 months of these bumps that come and go.
I just looked this subject up and I can't believe how many of us have this bruise turned rash thing! And that no doctor seems to have a definitive answer. A few years ago I had a hot burning rash on just my legs. Went to the ER for the pain and burn. After 3 days in one of the best Boston hospitals, all they could come up with was Serum Sickness, and they weren't positive.
He did mention autoimmune as well, so now I think there might be a connection.
Nice to know we're not alone. Thanks
Add another one to the mix.  Fell off my mountain bike.  Bruise didn't appear for a few days and then it turned my entire inner leg (above the knee) purple.   Once the purple started to fade, the itching was driving me bonkers.

I've been using otc cream which helps marginally.  Going to my doctor tonight and bringing some of the posts on this page.

This is NOT coincidental.   I was just having dinner with my sister-in-law who kept going on and on about her discovery of histamine issues and I originally thought she was approaching the deep end.   But now I think there may be some validity to this.  

By the way... I'm type 2 diabetic.  Haven't seen anyone else on this board mention that yet.

Read above with much interest. Age 60, female, overweight, borderline type 2 diabetes, lifelong trouble with skin.  Fell off stepladder cleaning fish tank, huge bruise.  Bruise began healing, developed rash, made worse by scratching.  Read all your comments 3 or 4 days ago. Mentioned this to husband who is very good with natural remedies.  He told me to rub it with coconut oil.  I wanted to wait to write this to tell you if it worked or not.  For me, IT WORKED.   It took the itching away immediately.  I put it on every 12 hours and now the rash is almost gone.  You can find coconut oil in any health food store but also in the natural food aisle at Stop and Shop.  It comes in a jar, looks like shortening, sort of, can be a little expensive,
as much as ten dollars, but it is good stuff and it helped me.  Also delicious on popcorn.
My story is just like yours!  I'm so happy to have found this sight because like all of you I thought I was crazy.  I have a lot of allergies and have asthma and I'm allergic to my own perspiration so I came to my own conclusion that I must be allergic to my own blood because I had a large hematoma on my shin following a collision with a metal cart and the itching didn't start until the hematoma started to recede, almost 7 weeks after my accident.  My doctor told me the two things weren't connected and how could they not be?  A rash directly over the injury?  I ended up in the ER because it became so bad and my doctor would not put the two together. After 7 days of IV therapy, the horrible, red, leathery and blistery rash went away but now two weeks later the itch is becoming intense again and my leg hurts.  I'm going to look up billirubin because I'm at my wits end.  
You comment sound exactly like a histamine issue.  I had the same deep bruise on my shin and the a red itchy area showed up where the bruise was (the area was also hot).  I also have a problem when I carry in a lot of grocery bags on my arm and the weight of the bag makes an indention I will then get a raised skin (like a hive) in the area that the bag was putting pressure on my arm.  So the histamine makes sense to me.
I had discovered a horrible bruise on my leg but it didn't hurt. Took a month to heal. Now I have an itchy, bumpy rash the same shape as my bruise. 34 year old , healthy, active female.
What a great web page! I too had a nasty fall recently on my left knee and shin. After a few days the bruising came to the surface and now all of a sudden a rash with small red bumps appeared and is very itchy. This has never happened before so I found this page after doing a google search. Last night I took your suggestion of rubbing the inside of a hot pepper onto the rash and this morning it's doing much better.
My bruises no longer do this. So it was just temporary for me. 2 years it did this, now normal. SO maybe it will be temporary for you guys too...
i got an injection of morphine 6 weeks ago. i immediately bruised, and once the bruise was gone, the rash was present. i have been scratching my rumpus for 4 weeks now. i had labs drawn to test for blood disorders, had my platelets checked. had my meds referrenced and looked up side effects for all of them. my rash is the size of a shoe box, maybe a childs size 3.  it gets worse when i shower.
I have this problem now. I am curious because I think it might be a Nickle allergy. Ask your patient if they have allergic reactions to fake Jewelry. This is just a theory as the rash I have is exactly like the rashes I get from wearing fake jewelry. I can wear the fake stuff for a short time but not a long time as the longer it sits against my skin, the more likely I am to rash.

Blood contains minerals and even metals. My theory is that when we get a cut, it does not cause the rash because the blood does not sit long enough against the skin to cause an allergic reaction, however when we get a deep bruise the blood pools for a lengthy time near the skin allowing the allergy to come out. (obviously there is not a ton of metal in our blood but as it dissipates, I must imagine the metals are the last to disperse leaving them near to the skin and causing the rash)

This is obviously just a theory but I would like to know what you think of this. I would also like to know if the people who get rashes regularly from bruises have an allergic reaction to metals.
I have this as well. Every time I get a bruise, a hive or two will appear right on top of it. I see you replied to this post several years ago. Have you learned anything new since? (i have stage 1 sarcodosis as well, if that means anything)
Any information would be useful.
Thank you.
Lisha T.
I have the exact same thing.  A bruise was formed below a puncture site on my groin where the doctor put in a wire to do an embolization.  The bruise which ran across my upper leg has now almost disappeared and a rash has taken it's place.  I think it has occurred because it's a traumatized area and is weakened. I often get rashes on old scar sites and that's how my doctor explained it. I amusing this is the case with the bruise site as well.  I, too, am very susceptible to rashes and have been since birth.  
I commented last week about the rash after the bruise.  It bothered me all week.  It was still very bad this morning.  My daughter suggested to try putting EMU OIL on it.  I applied it over an hour ago and the rash is 75% gone.  It's unbelievable.  I'll update in a few days to let you know what happens.  I'll keep applying it.
Like most of you I too have a bruised that turned into a rash. I fell down about 5 or six stairs, and I had a huge bruise on my right outer thigh circling under my butt, it was huge. And a small one on my left leg. The one on the right swelled up immediately and ached. I couldn't even lay on that side in bed. It took about two days for the bruise to come out, but I knew it was coming because of the swelling and deep pain. The left side didn't really hurt and the bruise appeared pretty fast. But on the right side the bruise got bigger and darker every day. If you ran you hand over it you could feel the swelling. After about 5 days the pain went away but the bruise continued to get darker and more disgusting looking. After about 2 weeks it finally started fading and turning green and yellow, and then it went away. But left a nasty itchy rash in its place. But the bruise on the left side went away fast, never swelled, and didn't leave a nasty itchy rash.

Unlike most of you, I am only 22. I bruise frequently bc I am very clumsy, and I have never had this happened or seen this. But I know for sure that the rash is linked to deep trauma bruises since this is the worst bruise I've had and the only one that has gotten this rash. Especially since the smaller bruise that caused no problems didn't get the same rash.

I am just so confused on how this has no specific diagnosis?? What is it that causes your skin to react after having a deep trauma resulting in a deep bruise?
I found this on the subject:::

Also known as contusion or hematoma, a bruise is a sector of skin discoloration which appears when small blood vessels crack and spread their contents into the mild tissue underneath the skin. If a bruise is not taken care of, it can develop into a rash. A rash, on the other hand, includes changes in the color or structure of your skin. This is why you have to take care of your skin, specially when you obtain a bruise from falls, sports contusions, or car mishaps, in order to prevent it from turning into a rash. Here are some tips that will help you keep your bruises under control:
Do not attempt to drain the contusion with a needle.
Do not continue to stress the painful, bruised part of your body with activities like running and playing.
Most of all, do not ignore the pain or swelling.
Consult with your doctor immediately when you feel pain or you observe swelling in your broken skin.

If you do not take care of your bruise properly, it will surely turn into a rash. Once that happens, additional care and attention must be applied to ensure that you remain safe and well throughout the healing process. Here are some more directions to facilitate faster healing of your bruises that turn into rashes:
Proper hygiene plays a big part in preventing your rashes from spreading in other areas of your body.
Shower all the time and do not use any product that is not recommended by your dermatologist.
Using a non-recommended products may irritate your rash even more and pain will be even harder for you to bear.
Learn meditation exercises such as yoga or tai chi so that you can control the rashes from spreading.

Remember, stress aggravates many rashes, including eczema, psoriasis, and seborrheic dermatitis, so keep yourself relax and focus. Take care of your well-being and make the attainment of a balanced mind and body your ultimate goal in life.
Sources:

http://www.medhelp.org/tags/show/12756/bruise

http://www.medhelp.org/tags/show/11687/Rashes
I too experience itchy rashes after my buises. It doesn't matter how deep or extreme they are. I used to treat them with anti fungal creams because I was once told it was a dermtis fungi...The cream really helped. I don't take any type of suppliments so I can not explain why I get them...Have gotten them since I was in middle school and I am now 37.
Ok it might  be that having Iron Over Load in your blood is the problem my doc just told me that is why I got the rash my iron is 2 times higher than. Normal
I have similar problem. I itch only my thighs and within a hour or so they turn into massive bruises. The size of 2 hands put together. Will be seeing heametologist (sorry if spelt wrong) on the 8 th August. Will post about how I went to hopefully helps others.
I have the same issue and have had for a few years.  The only difference is I do no not know how I get the bruises and they seem to be in the same places on my thighs.  One interesting question above was about allergic reactions to metals which I also have.  Had to switch from 14k white gold to either 18k or platinum.  So if blood contains metals and the blood from bruises resides just beneath the skin it would seem logical that it could be a reaction to the metal in your blood.  So glad to see that I am not alone with this cause it drives me crazy.
I hear a common thread..I am 46, this started about five years ago...also, this last time was right after a shot in the hip. I have arthritis and DDD. Also..was wondering..what is blood type? mine is A negative...
I fell and hit my hip, smack on the ground.  A dark purple, perfectly round bruise right over the ball and socket joint appeared.  The bruise started to turn yellow and a red rash started to appear.  The rash is now red bumps, hot, swollen, leathery, and extremely itcy.  I don't bruise easily and the rash isn't spreading past the bruise.  The yellow chemical from bilirubin left by the breakdown of the blood seems most likely.  Thank you for all the posts!  I can't get any sun on it, because I live in the NW and this is November.  
Finally went to a dermatologist, for other reasons. But i figured while there i'd ask about the bruise rashes. He started to explain 'why' in this long winded story of how bandages will make a rash. I was like,' I sat here thinking i'd get a great solution to why i've had this problem(although not doing it now) and i get this'. I told him, why would someone bandage a bruise? I told him in my line of work, i get banged around a lot. At first i thought the rash was a fluke, bruse after bruise rashed up, then got identical bruises on each arm(from being smashed behind a heavy gate) and both rashed up. I told him that over time the rashing evolved into the whole bruise covered in a whelp and then it stopped after doing it for 2 years. He sat there a minute and said,' Hum, i have no idea.' UGH
This stuff works, puts a protective coating on the itchy part and takes away the itch.  Using it one week and already seeing improvement.  Benedry Spray Topical Analgesic WITH Skin Protectant.  Wash it off every two days and reapply.  Using one week and already see an improvement!  Yippee!
I will turn 50 soon, I guess so will you since this is a couple years ago.  I have had the same thing happen twice and I only have my left ovary as for "parts".
Strange that you say this.  I have a nasty bruise on my arm from intravenous which is starting to fade but two days ago I developed a terrible rash which is like an allergic reaction.  I have not seen the doctor about it but yesterday I had a call from my nurse practitioner telling me that  my ana test came back positive and I need to be seen by an internist for more testing .. could this all be related? .. and should I see a doctor about this rash over my bruising?
I THOUGHT I WAS LOOSING MY MIND .I HAD TO BIG BRUISES ON MY LEGS THE BRUISES STARTED GOING AWAY AND NOW A RASH  IM GOING TO THE DOCTOR ON THE 4TH A HEMOTOLIGIST ILL FIGURE IT OUT ND LET YALL KNOW.
I am also a bruise to rash victim.  For me it took a week for the rash to appear, then it was raised at the edges and hot and itchy.  

From the posts from 2009 I have surmised that the doctors do not know exactly what the problem is.  But, each of us can find "our" own cure and try to stick to it to eliminate discomfort.  

Possible Cures: (Summary from previous posts)
-We are alergic (allergic) to the healing process, take a antihistamine.
-a Billiruben reaction is occuring and possible sun exposure could help.
-Natural remedies could work, Coconut Oil
-Precription creams could work

In my case, I bruised, got a rash a week later, a week later, after getting short lived relief from Benadryl Extra Strength Itch relief spray, very little relief from a precription topical corticosteroid, no help from the precription anti-fungal, I came across this site.

I took 2 generic 25mg Antihistimine tablets and overnight the rash was 75% gone and there was no itch.  

Thank you everyone for posting.  I have found my cure and will use it asap with future rashes that come up after a bruise.  

I won't be going back to the Dr. until this cure for me is no longer working.
I have this too.  And ... I'm definitely allergic to my own sweat.  So, a possibility.
This is hilarious that so many people have the same problem and doctors have no clue what it is, and in fact routinely misdiagnose it!  I have always bruised easily, but only over the last couple of years (approximately since I turned 50) have some of worst bruises developed an itchy rash as they have healed.  As so many have pointed out, it develops as the bruise is healing, and it is exactly where the bruise is (same outline) and nowhere else.  The first time I had this, it was obvious to me that the bruise (or the healing of the bruise) had produced the rash. Also as so many have mentioned, the rash resembles a poison ivy rash.  This has happened to me 2 or 3 times over the last couple of years.  It's never occurred to me to put anything on it--I just assumed it would eventually disappear, and it did, although it took longer than I expected--couple weeks?  But based on what I've read here, I would imagine that Benadryl might help if it really is some sort of histamine reaction.  I will also try the Bactine method, since one commenter had great success with that.  And I will also try various methods of trying to get the bruise to dissipate more rapidly.  I never bothered to do this before, since the bruises disappear on their own.  But possibly doing this would help prevent the rashes. (FYI, I suspect that heat--i.e., the heat of a shower--helps the bruise to heal faster; probably anything that stimulates the area)  I do wonder if it is connected with being a woman entering the menopause stage.  Anyway, I never comment on boards, but I had to chime in with my own experience because--again, as so many have pointed out--it's great to discover that I'm not alone with this bizarre little phenomenon  : )
I started with fingertip sized bruises (for no reason that I can remember) in a cluster. The cluster grew spread and was very itchy. I scratched it from time to time. After a few days a rash began to appear. As the original bruise area faded, new ones appears around the perimeter area....and the rash spread! Any info on what I am dealing with? Anti-itch didn't really help. Melaluca Tea Tree oil dried it up and killed the itch significantly, but didn't reduce the rash. There are few bumps I can feel....mostly in the clear surrounding area.
Nice to know a person is not alone in their misery. I too get a rash where I bruise, in the EXACT shape of the bruise, and I also have had to deal with more than one doctor with a god complex and a bad attitude. I suggest dumping that doctor and finding one who truly cares about his patients and not his/her paycheck. I'm a 50 yr old female, and this has been happening to me since I was around 35. I have a high iron count in my blood, and I take meds for high blood pressure. The allergic reaction to my own blood sounds like a good match, considering the help benedryl andantihistamines do for the rash from the people who commented on this. My suggestion is, do not itch the rash as this will only make it worse and possible infections won't do you any good either. Thank you to all who have taken the time to post on this site. It does a body and mind good to know you're not the only one this is happening to.
My story has similar pieces to many of yours. My first original rash developed on my thighs. After 2 courses of steroids, oat meals baths, Benadryl. Nothing worked. I finally had to do PUVA therapy 3 times a week for 3 months as it had spread to my entire body and I was miserable. That was in 2006- when I was 41. Since then, I also have the bruise rash thing. I also have weird skin reactions to mosquito bites and recently was stung by a bee ( first time in 30ish years) and it has taken forever to heal. I had not been historically allergic to bee stings, however it swelled pretty badly and remained red and itchy for at least 2 weeks. Now 4 weeks later my skin is still discolored and my skin feels like elephant skin. And right now I have a bruise rash on my thigh....again. I am a nurse and have no idea, but some of your theories make sense.
Several months ago i contracted scabies from work and was treated i have noticed after getting a bruise and its almost healed i get a patch of small itchy bumps and i was wondering if it could be a under skin scabie or mite that feeds off the under the skin blood?
Wow, this has been a fascinating read. At least I know there are others who have had this happen.
I stuck my forearm with a lancet a couple of weeks ago to draw a drop of blood because I was too much of a baby to want to poke my fingertip. A huge blue bruise formed immediately. That was surprising in and of itself. But it ran the normal course of bruises, purple, greenish, yellowish, and just before healing a very itchy rash appeared. The bruise discoloration is completely gone, but the raised rash remains and if I scratch it it turns bright red. BUT IT'S SOOOO ITCHY!
It seems ridiculous to go to the doctor for a rash a little larger than a quarter, and having read all your posts, it doesn't sound like your doctors even know the cause. Any more recent help?
I was fooling around with a friend and they grabbed my arm as they fell backwards. Nothing major, there was no pain at the time, but the next day I had 3 very dark deep bruises on my arms from their fingers. I couldn't even figure out what the bruises were from at first and when I remembered my friend grabbing me I couldn't believe a bruise was even caused and that the bruise was so dark and deep. It lasted one full week then finally lightened, turned yellow and pinkish yesterday and today 9 days later, it has turned into three red raised rashes that are dry & itchy, exactly where the 3 bruises were! This has happened to me before and I never thought to much about it, but now I'm really starting to wonder what this is all about!
I to fell on carpet wearing jeans, a bruise developed and now have red bumps and itchy. Did yours ever go away?
I have been having this for a few years now.  I get an overlapping red circles over the burse like I am  allergic to it. I itches with such intensity. I put Benadryl cream and that does help the itching.  So it is like I'm allergic to my bruises. It also seems to go in cycles.  It goes along with the cold sore I get on my tongue.  Does anyone else with the itchy bruises get ulcers on their tongues at the same time?
I also develop a rash over the site of any large bruise about a week or so after the bruise begins to heal. The worse the bruise, the worse the rash will be. This started about 5 years ago. Recently, I happened to be in the hospital still, with an asthma exacerbation, when it started, and noticed on the daily lab tests that my RBC and Hemoglobin levels started dropping also! RBC dropped below normal, hemoglobin got right down to the limit of normal.

I DO however have some autoimmune and immune stuff going on - I have had asthma and eczema since childhood, also have CVID, and multiple allergies and sensitivities, including sun allergy and being sensitive to my own sweat and tears during bad times. Over the past few years, I developed IMPP, and as yet unidentified other autoimmune issues which are messing with my insulin production and sensitivity, causing sporadic kidney, liver, skin, and blood vessel inflammation, all of which normalize with high-doses of steroids over a 4-6wk period...

But the first thing I noticed leading up to all the autoimmune stuff was this horrible maddeningly itchy rash anywhere I would get a bruise. For example all over my belly after getting heparin shots while hospitalized for asthma. 2 weeks after getting home, the rash would start. Docs couldn't figure it out.  At least now I know to expect it. And I also learned to limit heparin shots to my arms. Still bruises, but not as bad, and I can't reach to scratch in my sleep. When I get it on an area I can reach in my sleep, I wake up raw and often end up with cellulitis on top of it.
About 3 years ago I experienced this same strange rash after a severe shin bruise. The bruise (from hitting against a bed frame) was very painful, and turned all kinds of deep purple colors after a few days.  Then I had to fly back home (was on vacation) and after the flight I noticed a deep purple area down at my ankle, far below the bruise. (Hematoma??) Also, my ankle was very swollen with edema.

After a few days that faded, but I began to notice an itchiness around the bruise, as it healed. Then the itchiness turned into a very large deep red rash, and was beginning to look pretty ugly after a week or so. My dr. prescribed some antihistamines, but they had no effect whatsoever. It got way worse, and then spread to my other leg!! So both legs, from the knee down, were almost entirely covered by deep red and raised blistery patches of red. I ended up going to the ER, and they kept me for 2 nights, running batteries of tests. Put me on antibiotics, thinking it was MRSA, (by then my legs from the knees down were so swollen my ankles had all but disappeared) but then finally a dermatologist examined me and diagnosed me with hives. By that time these hives were covering my entire body!  It was a nightmare.

After hooking me up to steroids instead of antibiotics the hives almost completely disappeared overnight. And they put me on Prednisone, which took care of the rest.  But a few weeks after that, the hives returned on their own. Long story short, I battled them for almost 2 years, with increasingly larger doses of several different antihistamines. They finally began to disappear, after which I had to wean off of all the drugs for several months.  

For the most part these hives have left me in peace, but on occasion they return in small spots, flare up for a few weeks and then disappear again. The only thing that seems to set them off is maybe stress.  I've wondered if hormones have played a part, as I'm a menopausal woman. But I've never had hives before in my life, or any other allergy to speak of.  I think this is just one of those unexplained medical ailments.  It was comforting though, to see so many other people suffering the same crazy symptoms!

I hope this may help anyone who is wondering how to treat these rashes! Steroids and/or mega doses of antihistamines is what worked for me.
Sir.. I know it was in 08 you were wondered about the itchy rash than forms over a bruise...  Please has anyone come up with the answer?  Or may it possibly have n e thing to do with the shingle rash???
This is not the first time ive gotten the rash over a bruise, but it is really turning into a pain n de ---. I have caught poison ivey, sumac, and oak, and i figured maybe the forum is in my blood or something... i have had steroid shots, and they have helped, but this is still a reaccuring annoying issue, that no one around here has even tried to help me with...   ELCY NC
I have to wonder if an anti-inflammatory diet would help. The Paleo diet is supposed to be anti-inflammatory. I have had the same problem with bruising and a rash, though not nearly so bad! If prednisone, which is anti-inflammatory, helped for a while, maybe changing the diet would do more long-term good. ???