Bruises that don't go away

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Bruises that don't go away

I don't know if this is the right section but...
Three months ago I was run over by a car. The cuts healed at the usual rate, but three months later the bruises haven't and show no signs of doing so. Is this normal?

The blood under the skin which causes the discoloration of bruising should be totally reabsorbed by the body in three weeks or less.

In your case,as the symptoms are persisting for more than 3 months,so it may be due to formation of hematoma because of blood trapped in tissues.This blood may need to be drained. Less commonly, it may develop calcium deposits at the injury site in a process called heterotopic ossification.This is more serious.

I feel that you should consult a surgeon and take a second opinion from him.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional doubts.