Dermatology Expert Forum
Bruising / Blistering on Penis after Sexual Intercourse or Friction

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

For the past year, I have been experiencing some tearing, cracking, and slight bleeding of the penis skin circumcision area, very similiar to the "canhup" person that posted a question on Tues. March 11, 2003, after sexual friction. A friction blister is not a good enough answer for me to relax, my partner is worried and so am I. So call me canhup2 (case #2).
The first appearance of this came from a masturbation experience I had while using "NO-AD" Moisturizing Aloe Vera Gel. I have developed callus's on my hands from carrying heavy "rusted" metal at work (Tractor supervisor), and I don't believe I washed my hands prior to masturbation that day. Anyway, after masturbating, I noticed my foreskin area (circumsized area) was burning alot, and when I woke up at night with a horrible burning itch, it was swollen, moist, and there was a blister developing. After a day or 2 it was gone, but it returns everytime my partner and I have sex. She is very tight and I am big for her, so lubrication has been our ally, but not our answer. A small dark purplish bump also appears near the head of my penis(same place everytime), but it doesn't irritate me like the rash blister that appears to grow and spread with increased friction time and pressure on the circumsized area. Also, I have noticed a chalky-white shiny dust on my lower penis shaft after sex, but it comes off when I wipe it with my fingers. Furthermore, once everything seems to be healed (in a day or 2), my circumsized skin is tender and appears purple-ish red.
I have been culture tested for yeast infection as well as STD's with negative results. The doctor just gave me Lamasil capsules, but that didn't help. However, my partner, who takes a birth control pill, tested positve with a slight yeast infection. Most importantly, when the doctor touched her ovary (right side), it was swollen and her inner vaginal skin was irritated into a rash. Her back also hurts. I assume that this problem was / is pill-related.
Does the circumsized area of skin on the penis just never really heal or what? The best way I can describe the irritated feeling during sex is to say that it feels like there are a bunch of small prickly hairs poking into that spot, while I move my penis in and out of her vagina. I do shave my penis base, but that area is not irritated.
Dryness during sex is our enemy here, we use plenty of KY jelly, but it doesn't seem to help enough. I excrete alot of pre-*** during sex, but that doesn't seem to help enough either. Our doctors over here are scratching their heads, so I hope you can help me out. I have been searching the internet for answers, and this "canhup" guys story was the closest thing I found to my own.
I'm sorry if a friction blister isn't a good enough answer, because it's the only answer I can think of.  Your partner's "slight yeast infection" (whatever that means) does not sound relevant; neither does her ovarian issue.  I understand that all your STD tests have been normal, as I would expect them to be, but have the doctors who examined you ever seen this bump?  If not, they should--either by arranging to have yourself seen as soon as the bump appears, or else by taking a photo.  In any case, I'm afraid I can't think of any reason for what you describe other than friction, and no prevention beyond the lubrication you say you already perform.  I urge you to pursue lubrication as before, and to get whatever reassurance you and your partner need to ally your anxiety that what's going on is something more complicated or sinister, which is almost certainly not the case.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
There is a product called Astroglide that is VASTLY superior to KY jelly.  I believe KY makes another product, possibly? called KY Silky, or something to that effect.  You or your girlfriend may have to ask the pharmacist for them if you don't see them with the other products, as some pharmacies keep them behind the counter.

KY jelly can be sort of drying eventually.

Be sure your girlfriend isn't using any sort of vaginal hygiene product that may be irritating to you.
There is a lube called millennium. It has no scent or taste and is never stickey. It comes in a water base or silicone base(I recommend the silicone base). It is available at adult stores or online. It will provide a protective coating as well as all the lube you will need.
If you're not using condoms you could just try vaseline as a lube.
I am almost your same age and I am experiencing the same symptoms as you.  I also can't even have sex with a condom since it seems that the lubricant in the condom also irritates my penis.  I have also tried 1% cortisone creams with no luck.  If you find something that helps you, please post it here.

Good Luck!!!
JMS