Bruising and Hyperpigmentation from CPAP mask

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Hello about a month a I recieved a CPAP machine. The mask is hard to get fiited well and I guess was strapped on way to tight. I delevoped a large bruise on the bridge of my nose and is black and blue 4 week later. It is not tender to the touch at all. So I guess I have hyperpigmentation issue. I am african-american. Is this a healing bruise still or hyperpigamentatio?. Also, how safe would a laser treatment be for the bruising or hyperpigmentation?

The blood under the skin which causes the discoloration of bruising should be totally reabsorbed by the body in three weeks or less.

In your case, as the symptoms are persisting for more than 4weeks,so it may be due to formation of hematoma because of blood trapped in tissues which may need to be drained. It can also be due to post inflammatory hyperpigmentation. Hyperpigmentation occurs when an excess of melanin, the brown pigment that produces normal skin color, forms deposits in the skin.

Treatment involves hydroquinone, azelaic acid, corticosteroids, tretinoin cream and laser treatment. My sincere advice is to consult a dermatologist and get it ruled out.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing