Dermatology Expert Forum
Bruising/bleeding under the skin
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Bruising/bleeding under the skin

Lately, I have been noticing that I bruise more easily and sometimes I also notice small (purple) marks under the skin.  I need to tell you that I suffer greatly from hyphochondriasis and believed these symptoms to be a sign of leukemia.  I saw my PCP and blood work was taken.  Tests were normal.  I continued to see these marks and went back for another exam.  My PCP did not seem to feel these marks represented anything dangerous.  He repeated the blood test a week later to "ease my mind."  This time the results also came back normal.  I do analyze all the counts very carefully and noticed that my platelet count had gone down about 70 points from the prior test a week earlier.  My platelet count on the second test was 280, all my other counts were normal.  I started to test my skin to see how easy it would mark.  For instance, if I rub or stratch my skin, it will become red and stay red for a while.  I will also see small red/purple markes under it that will last for a while. I went to see my PCP for a third time and showed him these new marks.  Again, he feels I do not have a blood disorder.
I also notice that my spider markes on my thighs look very red (almost like they are bleeding) when I press them.  Previous scars also look redder when I manipulate them.

When moving items the other day for work, I noticed red spots under the palms of my hands when I used them to pick up items, etc.  I am convinced I have a platelet disorder.  

Can you tell me if there is anything other than a life threatening disease that would cause this?  I am 45 years old, highly stressed, do not exercise or eat right, and also have been breaking out in pimples/pustules in my hair follicles (mostly in my legs) since last January.  I am petrified my PCP is only looking at my anxiety disorder and possibly missing something serious.

Thank you for your help.