Dermatology Expert Forum
Bruising/bleeding under the skin

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Bruising/bleeding under the skin

Lately, I have been noticing that I bruise more easily and sometimes I also notice small (purple) marks under the skin.  I need to tell you that I suffer greatly from hyphochondriasis and believed these symptoms to be a sign of leukemia.  I saw my PCP and blood work was taken.  Tests were normal.  I continued to see these marks and went back for another exam.  My PCP did not seem to feel these marks represented anything dangerous.  He repeated the blood test a week later to "ease my mind."  This time the results also came back normal.  I do analyze all the counts very carefully and noticed that my platelet count had gone down about 70 points from the prior test a week earlier.  My platelet count on the second test was 280, all my other counts were normal.  I started to test my skin to see how easy it would mark.  For instance, if I rub or stratch my skin, it will become red and stay red for a while.  I will also see small red/purple markes under it that will last for a while. I went to see my PCP for a third time and showed him these new marks.  Again, he feels I do not have a blood disorder.
I also notice that my spider markes on my thighs look very red (almost like they are bleeding) when I press them.  Previous scars also look redder when I manipulate them.

When moving items the other day for work, I noticed red spots under the palms of my hands when I used them to pick up items, etc.  I am convinced I have a platelet disorder.  

Can you tell me if there is anything other than a life threatening disease that would cause this?  I am 45 years old, highly stressed, do not exercise or eat right, and also have been breaking out in pimples/pustules in my hair follicles (mostly in my legs) since last January.  I am petrified my PCP is only looking at my anxiety disorder and possibly missing something serious.

Thank you for your help.

Your PCP is missing nothing.  Normal blood work means normal platelets--the small test-to-test variation is meaningless.

You are looking at yourself way too hard and worrying way too much.  You need help--rest, counseling, medications...  Whatever it takes to calm you down, please look into it.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
1 Comment
Avatar n tn
A related discussion, bleeding bruse was started.
Avatar n tn
A related discussion, skin fungus was started.
A related discussion, bruising/bleeding was started.