Bug Bites on Ankle
The other day I woke up with multiple clustered bites on my ankle. They are incredibly itchy. Living in NYC, I was worried it was bed bugs so I searched by bed and mattress and found no signs of them. I was only bit that one time, and only surrounding my ankle on one foot. I researched on the internet and read that fleas tend to bite humans on their ankles and legs. I have a dog with no indication of fleas as she is treated with Frontline monthly.
Because the bites have not reoccured and because of their location, I am confused as to what they could be. Anyone with any ideas or recommnedations? Right now I am going to wait to see if it happens again to decide if I should see a dermatologist.
It can be due to flea bites, bug bites, allergies, hives or lichen planus. You can take non-sedating antihistamines such as Cetirizine or Loratadine(Claritin) when the rash appears. Short courses of oral cortisone or steroids are taken for short periods (one to three days) to settle more severe symptoms. You may take Vitamin C along with the prescribed treatment. Vitamin C is a general anti-allergy supplement. Also apply calamine lotion and a mild steroid cream like dermacort on the rash.
If the symptoms persist then get an evaluation done from a dermatologist.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.