Bug bites on scrotum

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Bug bites on scrotum

About 5-6 weeks ago, my girlfriend and I began itching uncontrollably.  We noticed inflammation in the itching while sitting on the couch and in bed.  I had an exterminator come out and he said there were no noticeable bed bugs or fleas.  I have treated the place several times with foggers and notice the bites/itching minimize for several days, only to come back again.  I have also steam-cleaned the bed/couch with the same results.  The bites are very small and cause intense itching.  The more we scratch, the larger the area of skin that seems to itch/irritate.  We have scanned the area multiple times and have never seen any sort of bugs or eggs!

Well during this time, I had gotten several of these bites on my penis and scrotum.  Both have been very uncomfortable, with the ones on the penis healing over time.  Unfortunately, the bites on the scrotum do not seem to go away and have become large bumps.  I have about 10-12 of these bumps and everyday a few of them itch intensely.  I also went to planned parenthood, in fear that it was some type of STD and the nurse said she hadn't seen anything like it in the 15 years she has worked there.  She felt it was not some sort of STD or scabies, and that it was bug bites just like I had thought, with them possibly being infected.

Noticing that these all occured at the base of hair follicles, I have also shaved the genital and upper leg areas, which doesn't seem to have done anything to better the situation.  

I am thinking about seeing a doctor this week about this problem, as I am afraid of scarring in the area, and would obviously like to cure the possibly infected bites.  I am doing my best not to scratch and spread the area that itches.

Would you recommend any sort of over the counter medicine/cream to help with this problem?  
Should I go see a general doctor or a dermatologist for this problem?
Any other advice is greatly appreciated!

Avatar_dr_f_tn

It would be best if you go to theskin specialist or dermatologist. If this is not due to bed bugs or fleas, it could be scabies which is an infestation by the itch mite, Sarcoptes scabiei. These parasites are responsible for the small red bumps or blisters and  intense itching, which tends to be worse at night. Scabies may involve the webs between the fingers, the wrists and the backs of the elbows, the knees, around the waist and umbilicus, the axillary folds, the areas around the nipples, the sides and backs of the feet, the genital area, and the buttocks. Transmission of the mites involves close person-to-person contact of the skin-to-skin variety.

Over-the-counter antihistamine may help with the itching. However, it would be best to have this evaluated first by your dermatologist before applying any medication on your scrotum. Refrain from scratching to prevent secondary infection.

Take care and keep us posted.