Bump on Bikini Line

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Bump on Bikini Line

I recently found a bump on my bikini line, in the crease inbetween my vagina and top of my leg. Its red and not really painful but also not good looking. I've read alot of stuff about maybe it being an ingrown hair and to check to see if it is, however, I cannot see it because of the location. I try looking with a mirror however i still cant see clearly. Please help me, i'm scared if it is a STD.
This could be an inflamed hair follicle in led folliculitis. Folliculitis is infection and inflammation of the hair follicles.  Hair follicles become red and irritated, and pus-filled lesions form. This appears as a painful bump on the surface of the skin that is infected.

The most common cause of folliculitis is infection by the bacteria Staphylococcus aureus. It usually starts when there is some damage done to the hair follicle while shaving or from the friction of wearing tight clothes.

The bacterium gains entry into the follicle through minor nicks/cuts on the skin.  Mild cases of folliculitis can be treated with antiseptic washes and with topical antibiotics like Bactroban which can be applied on the lesion.

ref:http://www.dermatologychannel.net/follicle/folliculitis.shtml
If the lesion does not resolve in a week's time, then you can have it examined to rule out an STD.
How can you treat these?  It sounds as though I have had exactly what you are describing for about two days, and it is very painful. My panties line up on it. When my jeans bunch they put pressure on it. It is quite painful!