Dermatology Expert Forum
Bump on Uvula

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Bump on Uvula

I wasn't sure if this was the proper forum to post this question, but I'll give it a try.

I noticed about two weeks ago that I had a small bump on my Uvula (about the size of a dull pencil tip).  I didn't think anything about it, but I checked again yesterday and it has not gone away.  It is not discolored in any way (maybe slightly red) and it doesn't hurt or interfere with my swallowing or speaking (way to small for that).  I am a 32 Y/O male who smokes about 1/2 pack a day and decreasing.  I started back up after quitting for a year and a half approximately 3 months ago.  I am trying again.  Anyway.....Is this something I should be concerned about?  Could this be a swollen salivary gland?  Or does it sound like a typical minor salivary gland cancer symptom.  I know it is quite immpossible to answer these questions with a definite "yes" or "no", but I was just looking for an opinion from someone who might have seen this type of thing before.  I do plan on going to my GP just to have him look at it, but should I be in a rush to get there?  Thanks so much for your help and the help you have given the others around here.
Regards,
Brian
I am really impressed that you have been able to get such a good look at the uvula (the tissue which hangs down from the palate at the back of the mouth.)

Cancers of the mouth usually present as ulvers rather than bumps.  Nevertheless, you are correct in assuming that you will need to be examinied.  If your GP doesn't have the lighting and equipment to get a proper look, he or she may want to refer you to a specialist in Ear, Nose, and Throat.  A good look may be enough, or a biopsy if the look isn't judged sufficient.

I would suggest that you see the doctor in the next couple of weeks, for peace of mind and proper diagnosis.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff