Dermatology Expert Forum
Bump on skin covering testicles. Possible ingrown hair?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Posted by James on July 19, 1999 at 18:09:52
Greetings.
I'm a 31 year old male. The skin covering my testicles is moderately hairy and occasionally I get (what I believe to be) an ingrown hair. A very small, white bump. It's a very rare occurrence, and since the age of 18, I've just squeezed it lightly to get rid of it. Just as I do the white bumps that appear on my neck after I shave. The same result as well; a tiny white discharge.
However, about 6 months ago, I discovered what I thought to be the same problem. But when I tried to squeeze it, nothing happened. So I thought, I'll wait a day and maybe then it will be "ready". I guess it slipped my mind, and about a week later I noticed it, and it had definitely enlarged. I tried to squeeze it but it was somewhat hard and hurt a little with pressure. Sadly, I ignored it and now 6 months later, it's about the size of a small pea and feels hard to the touch.
What might it be? And what are your suggestions?
Thank you. Sincerely,
James

Posted by DERM M.D. ASR on July 19, 1999 at 19:47:38
James:
Don't worry!
Cysts on the scrotum are quite common.  They are hard and white and sometimes white material (not pus) comes out if you squeeze them.  It's not necessary to squeeze them, but no harm will come to you if you do.
Cysts are neither infected nor contagious.  You can have the cyst removed if you want to, but you really don't need to bother.
If you have any doubts on this score, see a dermatologist, who can both diagnose it and, if you wish, very simply remove it.
Good luck!
Dr. R
Keywords: cyst, crotum