Dermatology Community
Bump or growth(?) on scalp
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Bump or growth(?) on scalp

I didn't quite know how to classify this, so hopefully someone who knows something will see this and help.

Today I found a small lump on the top of my head (it's too far back to really be able to see). It's rather small - probably about the size of a circular Tylenol tablet. It is very hard to the touch, and when I push on it it sort of hurts from the pressure. It has not felt itchy as far as I can tell/remember.

I live in a dormitory, so I initially panicked and thought "lice", but there is only one bump, no itching, and no signs of little critters. My friend suggested that it might be a tick bite, but I am in the DC area and work in an office, so I don't get a whole lot of "great outdoors" exposure. I mean, the dorm is in a suburban-type area so there are trees and things, but I definitely don't go hiking around (or sticking my head into random bushes).

I do have another lump on my right calf. It has been there for about 1.75 years, and I believe it is a severely ingrown or infected hair. It is also small - slightly bigger than the previously-described lump. But it does not hurt to touch it. It has a dark pink sort of color to it (I am Caucasian).

I am going to a dermatologist in a little over a month to have the bump on my leg checked out, and I'm sure I could have him look at my head, too, if that one sticks around. I'm just looking to (hopefully) get some confirming opinions that it's not some sort of lyme-disease-giving bug bite or some other random thing that should have speedier attention.

Thanks!