Bump or growth(?) on scalp

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Bump or growth(?) on scalp

I didn't quite know how to classify this, so hopefully someone who knows something will see this and help.

Today I found a small lump on the top of my head (it's too far back to really be able to see). It's rather small - probably about the size of a circular Tylenol tablet. It is very hard to the touch, and when I push on it it sort of hurts from the pressure. It has not felt itchy as far as I can tell/remember.

I live in a dormitory, so I initially panicked and thought "lice", but there is only one bump, no itching, and no signs of little critters. My friend suggested that it might be a tick bite, but I am in the DC area and work in an office, so I don't get a whole lot of "great outdoors" exposure. I mean, the dorm is in a suburban-type area so there are trees and things, but I definitely don't go hiking around (or sticking my head into random bushes).

I do have another lump on my right calf. It has been there for about 1.75 years, and I believe it is a severely ingrown or infected hair. It is also small - slightly bigger than the previously-described lump. But it does not hurt to touch it. It has a dark pink sort of color to it (I am Caucasian).

I am going to a dermatologist in a little over a month to have the bump on my leg checked out, and I'm sure I could have him look at my head, too, if that one sticks around. I'm just looking to (hopefully) get some confirming opinions that it's not some sort of lyme-disease-giving bug bite or some other random thing that should have speedier attention.

Thanks!
  • small bumb (3 replies):
    hello i am an 22 year old male and i have a small (ab...[more]
  • skin growth (2 replies):
    3 months ago, I noticed a bump or growth under the skin ...[more]
  • boil (2 replies):
    About a year ago I had a boil/pimple on my shoulder. It...[more]
  • bump on back (1 replies):
    i have had this bump on my back for at least ten years n...[more]
  • Little bump (1 replies):
    I have a small bump on my leg. It has been there for a w...[more]
The painless lump that you are having having seems like a sebaceous cyst. A sebaceous cyst is a closed sac occurring just under the skin which contains a "pasty" or "cheesy" looking substance called keratin.They may occur anywhere on body but scalp, ears, back, face, and upper arm, are common sites for sebaceous cysts. Blocked sebaceous glands, swollen hair follicles and excessive testosterone production will cause such cysts.

Generally no treatment is required but they become painful then it means they are infected,Then surgical excision by traditional wide excision, minimal excision, and punch biopsy excision may be required.

Pls consult your dermatologist and discuss this with him.
Hope it helps. Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries. Kind regards.