Dermatology Expert Forum
Bumps in genital area that have wart like cores

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Hey Doc,
First off, I have always had protected sex with all of my partners except for three that I have had committed and long lasting (1 to 3 years) relationships with that have never brought about any suspicion of stds.  Now for my issues: first, I have had small bumps on my penis and in my genital area for a year to 1.5 years.  They look like small pimples or ingrown hair bumps, just a bump that creates a "thin skinned" white appearance on the surface.  They usually show up in distant and randomly spaced groups of 1 to 4 in my genital region, so they aren't widespread and all but one of them have been very small.  The interesting thing about them is that when you squeeze them to get the core out (which usually involves unintentionally bursting/stretching/tearing the skin, which doesn't really hurt), the core is a solid white mass that looks like a growth of cells.  I had a really annoying bump that I thought was just an ingrown hair collecting small amounts of loose stinky white stuff every few days, like a pimple.  It turns out that after six months of having it I was able to get the core out tonight, and it was about 1/16th of an inch in diameter and had many different odd circular/ovalar sections that created a whole solid mass that loosely resembled a wart.  Once they are cored they bleed profusely. Do you have any idea what these could be?  I have looked at many pictures of  molluscum contagiosum, but i hardly see much similarity, although some of the symptoms seem to match.  Second, I also have experienced small white bumps that resemble the raised areas around my pubic hair folicles, but collect semi solid but fragile white discharge with no aroma in small amounts.  Do you have any idea what those might be?  Finally, I have had a small solid red bump (1/32nd of an inch in diameter) on my scrotum for about two years.  It has no negative effects, except for occasionally being tender when I try to core it with my fingers.  It has never changed size or shape, multiplied or spread, but i figure I might as well seek an answer for that here as well.  If you have any idea what any of these may be i would greatly appreciate your opinion.  I do not know much about this posting, but picures could be available if you can/would/are allowed to recieve them in order to attempt a diagnosis.  Thank you very much.
I think you have the small follicular cysts which are common and normal on the penis and scrotum.  They have white stuff inside that comes out when you squeeze them.  However, you are doing yourself no good by coring them out.  Please leave them alone, show them to a doctor next time you see one, and then ignore them.  They are part of you and get to stay there.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
I am pretty certain you have Molluscum. I have this at the moment, exactly the same symptoms, you describe the white cores exactly as I find them, the bleeding is the same as I experience. The lesions come and go over time, the whole lot can last 2 yrs. I have had it for about 2 months now. I was diagnosed by an STD clinician, the white cores are signs that it is not HPV, HPV warts have no core and can not be squeezed - as far as I am aware. See what the doc thinks never-the-less.
Also, my STD clinician and the leaflet she gave me said that they are rarely contagious - despite the name!
I very much doubt that they are molluscum even though molluscum can look slightly similar.

Dr. Rockoff
The look like molluscum, started as 1 "classic" looking molluscum, then they spread over a couple of weeks, got diagnosed. The lesions are pearly, using a magnifying glass many have a small dimple. They never have a hair growing out of them, they are different from my "normal" anatomy - I can see fordyce spots etc. Why don't you think they are molluscum? I have read other accounts, even the UK NHS site mentions how the core can be squeezed out. What do you think they are then?
Because they've been there a year and a half.  And because at least one of the spots he cored out was an ingrown hair.  To name two reasons.  Physical exam will be needed to be definitive.

Dr. Rockoff
Thank you englishman for reading my entire posting.  I have a feeling that the doctor did not recognize that i was describing not one but THREE different issues, with the possible molluscum being at the forefront.  Knowing that someone else is experiencing this is comforting.  I am aware that they arent genital warts or anything else too serious so I can rest a little at ease about it.  Thanks.
Oh yeah, and just to clarify something, it turns out that there was an ingrown hair NEXT to where the core came out from.  Maybe related, maybe not, but I feel better about it anyway.
No problem. I have squeezed a known cyst before. The obvious difference to me was the granules in the core - I am fairly sure that this is caused by molluscum. You probably have cysts too, but they eject white paste, rather than the white, harder granules. I would still go and get properly diagnosed though, just to be sure. If it turns out to be molluscum, please reply. Best of luck, you will be fine.
I'm sure he meant that these bumps have appeared here and there, randomly over 1 and a half years, not that each lesion has lasted 1.5yrs. This makes molluscum a good bet?
Hi i am 18 and ever since i was 15 years i remeber having like small pimples. Since i am not circumsized these pimple like occur on the skin that covers the penis. I dont this it is an STD...I hope not. BUt im curious what is it?
A related discussion, Non Painful bumps around genital area was started.
A related discussion, Bumps in genital area that have wart like cores was started.