Dermatology Expert Forum
Bumps in groin area

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Bumps in groin area

I have a strange rash in my groin area.  It started about 1 week ago with a bump about 1/3rd the way from my groin to my knee on my left leg.  I didn't think much about it until recently - I get the occasional ingown hair or jock itch when I exercise.  In the last 3 days, however, it has spread and now there are well over 40 small red bumps (1/16-1/8" in diameter) spread on both sides of my groin area - outside the pubic hair region, inside it, 2 very small bumps on my penis, and even some redness on my testicular sack.  During this same time 5 bumps have shown up on the palms of my hands - from very tiny to similar in size .  I was actually afraid of genital herpes but I went to a doctor yesterday and he was stumped.  There is no swelling of the lymphnodes in the groin area (as he said would be expected in herpes2)and he said he has never seen herpes so spreadout even in journals.  He attempted to test for herpes2 anyway but none of the bumps contain much puss.  His diagnosis was he felt it wasn't herpes and more likely it is a rash due to the area getting aggrevated - but he admitted that he wasn't confident in that diagnosis.  He said that the majority of bumps had a hair follicle in the middle but several appeared not to.  The itching is non-existent in the hands and minor only in certain areas of the groin area.  
To complicate the issue further I had a vasectomy 2 months ago and suffered a hematoma 3 days ago - kind of in the same timeline as when the rash went from a few bumps to quickly spreading.  My temperature spiked Friday night to 101.6, dropped to 100 by the next morning and is now normal.  I first thought the swelling in the groin was the lymphnode swelling I read about with herpes, but I have been assured it is a hematoma related to the surgery and that there was no lymphnode swelling present.  I am on antibiotics for the hematoma (500mg Ciprofloxacin, twice daily)) but I started them after the rash already was happening.  My guess is that the fever was due to the hematoma but I don't know anything for sure anymore.
I also though of scabes but I would have expected severe itching instead of just a minor case of itching in isolated spots.  
I am stumped by these bumps on my hands and groin.  Can you help me out?  I haven't been given anything, or told to use anything, on the rash.  I have a family and want to ensure I resolve this quickly so I don't spread any infection.
My guess is that the whole rash is a virus, the same one that produced the transient fever.  If I'm right, the red bumps should go away in a week or so.  If they persists, let a dermatologist have a look.

Scabies and herpes aren't even in the ballpark.

Keep in touch with your doctor about this, until it either goes away, as I expect, or changes in character, in which case the doctor should see it.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Thanks for the quick reply.  I worked outside today and it was pretty hot.  Just from the time I wrote you a few hour ago their are at least 15 more "bumps" - nothing new on my hands.  Is there any cream or pill you would recommend to slow this down?
One other thing.  If you feel this is viral, do I need to be concerned of spreading to my family.  Should I be only using wash cloths, shower towels, etc. only once?  Washing hands like crazy?  What precautions do I need to take?
Not many.  If they were going to get it, they probably would have already.  I'd just wash carefully and not share towels etc. till you clear.

Dr. Rockoff
A related discussion, small hard bumps in pubic region was started.