Bumps in my head

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Bumps in my head

There are some bumps in head for some time now(years) especially when my hair grows, they itch a lot and always have stuff in them. P.S they look very unpleasant. I am very frustrated, what could this be and how can i get rid of them?
These bumps on the head can be due to cysts or acne keloidalis nuchae. It occurs when hairs on the back of the head and neck grow into the skin, become inflamed, and cause scar tissue. These ingrown hairs usually occur following a short haircut on the back of the head and nape of the neck.

Treatment of AKN includes suppression of the inflammation with antibiotics and steroid gels or intralesional steroid injections.  So apply antibiotic cream like Neosporin or bactroban. If the symptoms persist then oral antibiotics and steroids may be needed. Please consult a dermatologist in that case.

Larger bumps of AKN present for a while or if not responding to treatments may need surgical removal. I suggest you to get it examined from a dermatologist.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

I have had three bumps on my head for over 20 yrs.  It runs in my family. I
was told not to worry about them by doctors as long as they didn't hurt.
Now, about 2 weeks ago they started to ache especially one of them.  Went to demotologist and was told they were now cysts that should be removed.  Going Monday April 11, 20ll to have one removed.
Also went to google and put in "surgery for cysts on head" and got alot of info about people who had some removed and how it went.  Some of the surgeries went real good and had alot of blood, but stopped pretty quick and they went home without even a bandage.  Some were alittle more severe, but go on that site and check it out for yourself.