Dermatology Expert Forum
Bumps on Base of Penis

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Bumps on Base of Penis

A few weeks ago, I noticed reddish, damp skin at the base of my penis. Thinking that it was jock itch, I bought cream for it and applied it for the week like it suggested. By the end of the week, however, I noticed small bumps that were in the same area as the jock itch. The bumps were not that large at all and most of them have a hair coming out of them. Thinking that it was something bad, like genital warts, I went to see a doctor. I explained to her that I had sex once (2 years ago) with a girl who says that she was a virgin (making me her first) and that she has been tested for STDs and the results came back negative. She said that since the bumps did not feel hard, but waxy, and there was no itch or discharge associated with them, that it was probably just something follicular. She told me to use DIAL anti-bacterial soap on the area. The redness has gone down and some of the bumps have gone away but there are still some around the base of my penis (only on the underside where the penis touches the scrotum). Some days, it seems like the bumps disappear while others they seem to be irritated. Also whenever I get an erection the bumps seem to be more prevalent. Although she said that the bumps were harmless and not dangerous, I still feel like they could be something like genital warts. Is it just something follicular still and the area isn't fully healing or is it something bad like an STD?  
Dear Burnstreak,

Thanks for the query and a good description of your problem.

I am pretty sure that your dermatologist is correct when she says that these are harmless follicular prominences. Many healthy people have such follicular prominences in the pubic area. They are most noticeable at the base of penis and the scrotal area and may be more prominent when you have an erection.

Though I understand that it is natural to be concerned when you see something odd in the genital area, I feel that you do not need to do anything for the bumps. Do not be worried about them being warts or anything serious.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Thank you for using MedHelp's "Ask an Expert" Service, where we feature some of world's renowned medical experts in their fields. Millions have benefitted from our service to get personalized advice for them and for their loved ones.

Best Regards,
Dr. Gaurang Krishna
What is your suggestion on how to make them less noticeable? Is there anything that I can do?
Dear Burnstreak,

Hi and thanks again,

You should keep the area clean and dry to avoid infections. Do not worry about it. It is a harmless condition.

Best Regards,
Dr. Gaurang Krishna