Dermatology Expert Forum
Bumps on arms

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Bumps on arms

I am a 33 yr old male.  I have many (100-200) flesh to light pink colored small bumps on my arms.  If left alone they develop a white head like a pimple. They tend to itch intensley periodically but not all of the time.  They are not very noticable unless you look at them at the right angle and then they are all over. 3 month ago I treated them with a steroid cream for 14 day and they went away only to reoccure 7 days later.  I repeated the cream with the same results and then  was on a prednisone dose of two days of 5, two of 4, two of 3, etc.  again bumps cleared up for about 1 week and then reappeared.  Bumps are on both arms on the underside of my forearms from inside elbow crease to wrists and no where else on my body.  Any ideas? Thank-you.
Some people have bumps on the shoulders and outer arms known as keratosis pilaris, but those are not on the underside, and wouldn't respond to cortisone creams or prednisone.

Perhaps it's just folliculitis, or blocked follicles.  But wouldn't the doctor who prescribed the cream and pills have an opinion?  (I don't suppose you're using these potent medicines on your own . . . )

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
The Dermatologist said it looked like atopic Dermatitis.  My concern is it hasn't gotten any better in three months.
Atopic dermatitis is hard to treat sometimes.  I suggest that you ask the dermatologist to think about it again, or perhaps have another look.

Dr. Rockoff
I was treated for Eczema a year ago.I had a rash on my torso,face and arms.I bathed with Aveeno body wash, used Cetaphil lotion all over twice a day and Triamcinolone Acetonide Cream USP,0.1 0/0 on the rash. After 2 weeks the rash and itch were gone. I have continued to use the body wash and the lotion. Then about a month ago I got a rash on just my arms from the wrist to the elbow, both arms. The itch was terrible.The bumps were little and fluid filled when I scratched them they would break open and then turn into a flat red shiny spots.I tried the Triamcinolone cream ,but it did nothing. My Dr. said that he though it might be caused by a virus( something like the chicken pox one that stays in your system)I stopped the cream and started Prednisone for two weeks. The only thing I used for the spots and itch was Neosporin ( as needed) .It took a good three weeks for it to clear up but it did.I hope this can help.
Just curious...since your doctor mentioned part of a pox virus, did he mention molluscum?
My doctor didn't know what caused the rash a year ago. He thought it was just really dry skin and he sent me to a dermatologist . She was the one that had me use the body wash and the creams. That rash cleared up,it was all over my upper torso. This new rash was different(arms and face only).He had checked back in my chart and found out that I had redness and itching quite a few times before when I saw him for other illnesses.He would give a cream to stop the iching and it would go away.This last one was different.The pox virus thing was just a guess on his part it was a "maybe it could be caused by a virus,like a chicken pox one that stays in your system". It was a guess and his treatment worked. The neosporin was to try to heal the skin that had been scratched raw.The creams I was using wern't helping anyway. And he still dosn't know if he was right,but the rash, bumps and itch are gone.
I looked up molluscum and my rash didn't look like it. My Dr. didn't mention any virus by name.
I HAVE THE EXACT SAME THING!!! I'M SURE OF IT!!

It is rather embarassing.  It doesn't really itch or anything...its just ugly and disturbing.  Its not keratosis pilaris...and not molluscum (spellings?).  I don't were short sleeves shirts much anymore and when I do I am very aware of this rash.  Mine appeared right after having my first child...now almost two years ago.  Nothing seems to make it go away.  I think maybe I got exposed to something in the hospital. It starts as fleshy bumbs...on the inside of my forearms - on the soft skin) and sometimes just a few appear on top.  Range is from my writst to elbow.  Its basically the area if you were to leave on your forearms on a table.  Occasionally they head up like a pimple (I'm nerotic and can't seem to stop picking at them however).  They have a more solid white core to them than a pimple does however.  I think it is called a plug.  They leave flat shiney scars.  It's really unsightly and if anyone has any clue what it is or how to treat it, please let me know!
I HAVE AN AWFUL RASH ON THE INSIDES OF MY FOREARMS

It is rather embarassing.  It doesn't really itch or anything...its just ugly and disturbing.  Its not keratosis pilaris...and not molluscum (spellings?).  I don't wear short sleeves shirts much anymore and when I do I am very aware of this rash.  These bumps appeared right after having my first child...now almost two years ago.  Nothing seems to make it go away.  I think maybe I got exposed to something in the hospital. It starts as fleshy bumbs...on the inside of my forearms - on the soft skin) and sometimes just a few appear on top.  Range is from my writst to elbow.  Its basically the area if you were to lean on your forearms on a table.  Occasionally they head up like a pimple (I'm nerotic and can't seem to stop picking at them however).  They have a more solid white core to them than a pimple does.  I think it is called a plug.  They leave flat shiney scars.  It's really unsightly and if anyone has any clue what it is or how to treat it, please let me know!
Dear,
I
This could be a Vitamin A deficiency
or a problem processing Vitamin A in your gut. an imbalance in the way your body absorbs Essential Fatty Acids.  that's what a naturopath told us at one time, at a therapeutic lassseer course.
The lasser is meant to help too, but it's just another fix the symptom approach.
Hope that helps
The above comment was meant to be for the 33y/o with bumps on his arm
I have the same problem!!! I've had it ever since I was 9 yrs old =( but when I went back to the Philippines, my family & I went to the beach, (salt water) & after the whole day of swimming... It all went away, as if the little pimples just died... & they went away for a week or two... But then they came back afterwards. My mom took me to different doctors & none of them couldn't tell us what it is. So my mom would scrub my arm with SALT twice a day, when I wake up & before I go to bed... & now my skin is slowly lookin smooth & normal again...

MUST TRY USING SALT AS A BODY WASH ON YOUR ARMS & SCRUB EACH ARM FOR 3-5 MINS!

MUST TRY!!! ^_^*