Bumps on knuckles

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Bumps on knuckles

I have round bumps on knuckles of all the fingers of my right hand (I'm right handed), the largest on my index finger and tapering to the smallest on my small finger. The largest is about 1/4" in diameter and about 1/8" high. They are rough and feel like callouses, but I don't do any kind of work that would cause a callous there. I can file them smooth or put hand cream on them to soften them, but very soon the roughness is back. The largest is rough enough to snag on clothing, etc. Are these callouses, or could they be warts?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Knuckle pads are benign, asymptomatic, well-circumscribed, smooth, firm, skin-colored papules or nodules, located in the knuckles. A history of repetitive trauma related to sports or occupation is often present.

On the other hand, a callus is an area of painless hard skin which are also caused by response to friction and pressure, and not necessarily too much work . This is formed to protect itself from blistering. This can happen on the palms, foot, or  knuckle pads.

The important thing is to relieve the pressure on the affected area of skin and to reduce skin thickness. Apply keratolytic creams  containing urea, salicylic acid or lactic acid.If it persists, it would be best to have it evaluated further by your doctor.

Take care and regards.