Bumps on scalp

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Bumps on scalp

I started getting hard bumps on my scalp several years ago.  The feel like really hard scabs and are painful to the touch.  They are about the circumfrence of the tip of my index finger.  I have picked the scab off before and it leaves a shallow hole in my scalp, but doesn't really bleed.  There is some sort of clear liquid that does not smell.  When the skin grows back I have a small bald spot for a bit until my hair grows back.  I went to a dermatoligist once who told me they were a fungal infection and gave me some medicine for it as well as a topical medicine to use.  When I went back the doctor said it was cleared up but later I started getting the same things again.  I didn't go back because at the time I didn't have the money for it.  Is this a fungus or does it sound like something more serious?
From the symptoms the possibility of perifolliculitis needs to be ruled out. It is characterised by small, very itchy pustules within the scalp, often most troublesome on the frontal hairline. The other possibility is of pityrossporum folliculitis which is caused by a fungal infection. The scalp should be washed with a mild normal shampoo as often as desired. Antidandruff shampoos containing antifungal agents such as ketoconazole or ciclopirox are sometimes helpful. Apart from that you need topical and oral antimicrobials, antihistamines, oral steroids and topical tretinoin.

My sincere advice is to get it examined from a dermatologist. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

my daughter started getting these fungus under the sking i was told to use sulfer to greese the scalp the lumps are gone but now the scalp hurts. i cannot comb the hair. i just have to brush them. what can I do?