Dermatology Expert Forum
Bumps on the chin

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Bumps on the chin

Hi.  I've had what I'll describe as small, uncolored bumps on my chin for about 2 years.  Recently they are appearing around the base of my nose, the bridge of my nose, and by my temples.  My GP refered me to a dermatologist who thought they looked like "tumors" of some sort.  He did a biopsy and afterwards said that they were what I understood to be pockets of oil under the skin.  He put me on Retin-A Micro for about 6 weeks, which did nothing.  Next he gave me the option of Acutane or laser treatment.  He seemed to thing that the laser treatment would do the best.  It didn't help at all, in fact it seemed to make my face worse.  I had no dryness or peeling after the treatment.  My skin seemed more oily.  Now my face is covered with acne as well and really sore.  Also, I don't know if this is related or not, but I seem to get boils very easily anywhere that I sweat.  It doesn't matter how many times a day I bathe or shower I still get them.  I'm in my mid 30's and feel like I'm still going through puberty.  If you know what this is I'll be extremely grateful.  I can send a picture, I just don't know where to send it.  Thank you.
The biopsy results you mention seem to confirm what I might have guessed: that these bumps are actually oil glands.  To be honest, I don;t think there is much you can do about them.  Surgery, such as laser peeling, usually doesn't work.  Accutane may just possibly shrink them for a time, but that improvement is unlikely to last, since oil glands return to functioning after the drug is stopped.  That's just my impression without having see you.

As to your face being covered with actual acne, that's a different story.  If you even pick or scratch at the spots, you ought to stop.  In any case, however, you'll need acne treatment, which may include external or internal antibiotics or even Accutane.

Boils on the body are another matter still.  They are often caused by staph germs and have no direct relationship with acne.

Basically, you need a dermatologist to evaluate all these problems in person.  If your current dermatologist has run out of ideas, you may want to consider getting another opinion.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Thank you.  I appreciate your help.  What causes oil glands to suddenly do this.  Could it possibly be make-up I'm using etc.?  I use a cleanser and moisturizer twice a day.  Thanks again.
No not makeup.  Just happens sometimes....

Dr. Rockoff
Hi: My husband was  suffering of something similar 5 years ago. He had acne around his nose, the bridge of his nose, cheeks and chin. We went to a dermatologist and he was diagnosed of having Rosasea. Now he is taking an antibiotic Erytromicin on a regular bases and his skin now is nice and clear.
Ask your Dr about it.
Thanks for the info.  I appreciate your post.