Dermatology Expert Forum
Burning, irritated rash around anus
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Burning, irritated rash around anus

Dear Doctor,

I have had an irritating burning rash around my anus up to the bottom of my scrotum for over five months. It does not itch; it is just very irritated and red.     My scrotum has also become red and irritated too,with flaking and peeling skin,  but I believe that was caused my reaction to both a mixture of econozole / desonide (early July, 2009) and Protopic ( in September, 2009).  The redness and irritation remains, although it is a bit better.

Right away, at the recommendation of the first doctor, I went to all white cotton underwear, and I use dove soap.  I work out alot, and I now use only cotton compression shorts.

I have been to three dematologists with no relief. Two of the three gave up and didn't know what to do.  The last doctor suggested a colonoscopy to see if there might be something in my digestive tract that would be the cause. I am 52, and my internist suggested that I get one also.  

I have used Clotrimazole Bethameth cream, econozole, desonide, zinc oxcide, cloderm, oxistat, Alclometazone, hydrocortisone Butrate, Protopic, and Ketoconazole Hydrocortisone 2.5%, all over the last five months.

I met with a  Gastroenterologist / Internist to schedule the colonoscopy.  I talked with him about it, and he suggested leaving it along for a while.  I told him that since I stopped the last medicine about a week ago, ( alcovate) applying a  moisturizing lotion gives me some relief.  He still said to leave the area alone for a while.  He did not examine the area.  

At this point, I don't what else to do. Red irritated skin for over five months seems very serious to me.  

I welcome whatever advise you can give me.

Thank you Doctor.