Dermatology Expert Forum
Burning, irritated rash around anus

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Burning, irritated rash around anus

Dear Doctor,

I have had an irritating burning rash around my anus up to the bottom of my scrotum for over five months. It does not itch; it is just very irritated and red.     My scrotum has also become red and irritated too,with flaking and peeling skin,  but I believe that was caused my reaction to both a mixture of econozole / desonide (early July, 2009) and Protopic ( in September, 2009).  The redness and irritation remains, although it is a bit better.

Right away, at the recommendation of the first doctor, I went to all white cotton underwear, and I use dove soap.  I work out alot, and I now use only cotton compression shorts.

I have been to three dematologists with no relief. Two of the three gave up and didn't know what to do.  The last doctor suggested a colonoscopy to see if there might be something in my digestive tract that would be the cause. I am 52, and my internist suggested that I get one also.  

I have used Clotrimazole Bethameth cream, econozole, desonide, zinc oxcide, cloderm, oxistat, Alclometazone, hydrocortisone Butrate, Protopic, and Ketoconazole Hydrocortisone 2.5%, all over the last five months.

I met with a  Gastroenterologist / Internist to schedule the colonoscopy.  I talked with him about it, and he suggested leaving it along for a while.  I told him that since I stopped the last medicine about a week ago, ( alcovate) applying a  moisturizing lotion gives me some relief.  He still said to leave the area alone for a while.  He did not examine the area.  

At this point, I don't what else to do. Red irritated skin for over five months seems very serious to me.  

I welcome whatever advise you can give me.

Thank you Doctor.
1 Comment
I have had quite a similar problem - after seeing 3-4 different Dr's I finally got some relief from this - my Colon/Rectal Dr - said most likely it's fungal - candida to be more specific, and that certain foods are probably the cause - in my case I cannot eat tomoates, citris and other foods high in acid. Also, refined sugar - cookies, sweets etc... and most dairy -except for yogurt - whcih is beneficial to this problem.  It took about a week of cutting out these foods, and I felt much relief. So, the idea that it's related to your digestive track is probably a good place to start - I didn't get a colonoscopy to determine this - although I did have one a year later when I turned 51 - as we all should.

Also, he suggested I use an over the counter ointment on the skin - called  - Calmoseptine - this worked wonders for the irritation and I keep it on hand in case of a flare-up.
I also had some internal hemmroids removed - which helped also - but it was definately two seperate problems. I had suffered from this for about 7 years -  on and off, and now feel so much better.
Hope this gives you some ideas - there is much information on the net about this -  and be sure to get your colonscopy
A related discussion, itching with no visible rash was started.