Dermatology Expert Forum
Burning, irritated rash around anus
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Burning, irritated rash around anus

Dear Doctor,

I have had an irritating burning rash around my anus up to the bottom of my scrotum for over five months. It does not itch; it is just very irritated and red.     My scrotum has also become red and irritated too,with flaking and peeling skin,  but I believe that was caused my reaction to both a mixture of econozole / desonide (early July, 2009) and Protopic ( in September, 2009).  The redness and irritation remains, although it is a bit better.

Right away, at the recommendation of the first doctor, I went to all white cotton underwear, and I use dove soap.  I work out alot, and I now use only cotton compression shorts.

I have been to three dematologists with no relief. Two of the three gave up and didn't know what to do.  The last doctor suggested a colonoscopy to see if there might be something in my digestive tract that would be the cause. I am 52, and my internist suggested that I get one also.  

I have used Clotrimazole Bethameth cream, econozole, desonide, zinc oxcide, cloderm, oxistat, Alclometazone, hydrocortisone Butrate, Protopic, and Ketoconazole Hydrocortisone 2.5%, all over the last five months.

I met with a  Gastroenterologist / Internist to schedule the colonoscopy.  I talked with him about it, and he suggested leaving it along for a while.  I told him that since I stopped the last medicine about a week ago, ( alcovate) applying a  moisturizing lotion gives me some relief.  He still said to leave the area alone for a while.  He did not examine the area.  

At this point, I don't what else to do. Red irritated skin for over five months seems very serious to me.  

I welcome whatever advise you can give me.

Thank you Doctor.