Dermatology Expert Forum
Burning, itching rash after using medication

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

I had a reaction to ear drops that were prescribed for an ear infection. My ear got red, crusty, sore and itchy with small bumps. I stopped using the drops and was prescribed Hydrocortisone to relieve the itch. After a few days my ear did not seem to be getting better so I used some Bactroban that we had at the house. The next morning my ear was worse. The crusty soreness was gone but the rash and itching were worse and my ear was swollen. I washed the area and stopped all medications. It has been approximately a week and the itchy rash is still there. I have also started getting the same rash on my other ear and the sides of my face. I was at the Dr.'s yesterday about the ear infection not the rash but he didn't seem concerned with the rash. Does it sound like something that will go away on its own provided I stop scrathcing or should I go back to the Dr.'s? Also, if you feel it will heal in time about how long will it be before I see some improvement?
Dayna:

My guess is that you got an allergic rection rather than an infection.  Although it will get better on its own, you may improve faster if you use hydrocortisone or a stronger, prescription-strength alternative.  Tey over-the-counter 1% hydrocortisone, and see if that helps.  Also, a dermatologist may be able to help you figure out which component of the ear drops you reacted to, so you can avoid it in the futire.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff