Burning, prickly, itchy skin
My husband age 59 has been experiencing burning, prickly itchy skin at random times but mostly during the evening.  He has the sensation of pins and needles pricking his skin from the inside out.  This mostly occurs on his arms or legs or back, but not concurrently. First it was his legs then it moved to his back and currently the problem is on his arms. The sensation will be symetrical, i.e. both arms. The prickling turns into severe itching with sensations of pin pricking pain. Once the itching starts it is very hard to control.  He has used ice, benedryl, anti itch creams and Zyrtec. His allergy tests by blood were negative. Skin can become dry and rough although no visable rash.
I'm 33 I've been having this problem when ever I drink too much alcohol and it won't disappear until 2 week, so I try avoiding alcohol. Will take the advice and I'll start drinking B12 vits
hi-   i have the exact same problem.   i tell everyone its like having insulation on you all the time.  I am itchy, prickly and burning up everyday, all day.   i can't take it.  i take so much benydral to relieve the itch but its only temporary.   my mom has RA and im wondering if i have RA or Lupus.  Going to make calls to DR asap.  This is no way to live.
I am 59 and developed this burning, itchy and hot skin proplem just over a year ago.  It all started when i fell off a ladder and broke my arm in three places.  They used some new type of cast material that is not the regular plaster type.  It came in a sealed bag and once opened it immediately starts to harden but they soke it in water to speed up the hardening time to only about 10 minutes.  The burning and itching started about 5 days after the cast was put on.  It started as only a small patch at my wrist and elbow, but soon spread to the whole area under the cast.  It got so bad, that they had to remove the cast after only two weeks.  I could not have anything tight touching my arm as it held in the heat and the itching and burning became intolerable.  When i fell it was on my concrete driveway which is quite rough due to being porly finished and as i live in an area that is foggy, damp and cool most of the time, mold and moss are pretty much everywhere outside, including on my driveway.  I skined the plam of my hand and elbow when i fell in this mossy and moldy driveway and the emergency hospital did not wash or clean out the cuts before they put the cast on.  After they took the cast off after only two weeks, instead of the burning and itching getting better, it just started getting worse and spreading.  First my entire arm and shoulder on the broken arm and then it spread to my other arm; then to my whole upper body.  It does not present as a red rash, only a very slight blotchyness on my arms, which are the worst affected area, and just non red tiny pimples everywhere else.  So at first the Doctors treated me for an allergic reaction to the cast material as that was where it started.  I spent four months on ever increasing dosages of Prednisone and getting steroid and benedryl shots. I was also given every cream, ointment and lotion both perscription and over the counter known to man.  All of which only increased the symptoms, because they held in the heat making the burning worse.  When I was on the full dosage of the Prednisone, the symtoms got a little better, but as soon as I tappered off it came back even worse.  So then i was reffered to a Dermatologist who decided to tripple my dosage of prednisone for an entire month.  Same issue.  As soon as i tappered off; the symtoms came back with a fury.  So the next visit, he asked me what it felt like.  I told him it started with a stinging like being stuck with a million pins and then began burning and itching to an extreme level.  Also my skin felt hot to the touch and anything touching my skin just made it hotter and the burning and itching got even worse.  So after that two minute description and the fact that it did not really present as a red or blistery rash, he decided it was a "Skin Nerve Rash".  He said this is caused by stress and sent me back to my regular Doctor.  They have now tried three different anti-anxiety medications starting with a low dosage and now to a higher dosage for over 7 months now.  I started with Atavan, then Xanex twice a day and then upped to three times a day which helped some, but has not cured the rash and only just barely keeps it from wanting to kill myself.  Then my doctor retired and the new doctor did not like me taking Xanex three times a day and switched me to Valium twice a day,  the symptoms got substantially worse.  So after after two months of the valium not helping, I finally put my foot down and had him put me back on the Xanex three times a day.  It is better, but since the symtoms got much worse and spread to more parts of my body during the Valium period, now the Xanex is less affective.  So now I am begining to think this is not really being caused by stress even though it does get worse if i get mad or upset.  The weirdest part is that any type of contact with material or even me just touching my arm with my hand makes the burning worsean and the plams of my hands are very hot all time; but if I take a warm to medium hot bath it stops the burning and itching completely while i am in the water.  As soon as I get out, it all starts up again.  So I am at a loss as to what the actual cause is for this as are my doctors. I think they are just calling it stress related because they don't have a clue to the actual cause.  I would think that seven months on anti-anxiety meds, should have gotten rid of it if it is being caused by stress, so I don't know what to do.  About the only changes in diet is that because of high chloesteral, i pretty much stopped eating red meat and am eating mostly poultry.  Both diagnose's were made from supposition on the doctors part and no actual blood workups or other tests have been done to check for other causes.  I do have Diabetes, but it is under very good control and i also have high blood pressure but that is under control as well.  All I know is that now I can not wear anything that is even slightly tight or rough as it increases the symtoms on my arms  and torso to where i can't stand it, and even the sheets on my bed make the burning worse.  So I have to sleep with bare arms outside the covers which is also uncomfrotable as it is so cool here at night that my arms a really cold.  It is like all the nerves in my arm and upper torso are now hyper sensitive and firing on all cylinders.  When it gets really bad; if it gets warm or i get upset, i even experience Nuropathic pain which is like a raw burning pain.  I have scoured the internet, but can not find much on these symptoms when not accomanied by a rash.  Does anyone have these same symtoms and found a cure?
This is exactly what I am experiencing , 7/09/13 . This has been going on for 5 years . I don't have insurance so I have never even ask about it . Please did you find anything about your self ? I'ts 3 in the morning and I just put some icy hot on my arms to try and get some relief .  
My history is different but the symptoms sound similar. First of all I don't have any anxiety issues and lead a very healthy happy life with very little stress, however I was just diagnosed with hypoglycemia and that's being investigated further for the cause.

Quick med history, I've experienced a lot of physical trauma which caused neurological damage. Three years ago my left foot started getting pin/needles kind of numb, it spread to my other foot, then about a year ago the pins, needles started ascending up the legs. Three months ago I started feeling minor pins and needles in my arms. I have been diagnosed with neuropathy via EMG nerve conduction studies but it looks different than a normal poly neuropathy with axonal loss. My neurologist told me to let him know if there were any changes because it looks like something is developing.

Last year I had three episodes where I became what I call extremely ill. This year I have had 4 episodes in the last 6 weeks, each lasting 2-3 days with extreme symptoms with a slow recovery. This is how it occurs each time.

Flank pain
increased pin/needle/burning entire legs
Dizziness, weird taste in mouth and a weird smell, (like the smell of hot electronics) maybe metallic
Increased frequency in urination, sometimes frank polyuria
Thirst increases, but I don't drink abnormal amounts
pin/needle/itch/raw/burning feeling in arms, body, face, eyes
itch/raw/ burning inside of ears, mouth, lungs (new the last two episodes)
I begin feeling agitated at about this time
muscles begin to hurt extremely bad
As everything continues to increase nausea sets in, shakiness, severe fatigue, weakness and the pain literally become unbearable.
It feels like having the worse flu imaginable with neuropathy of the entire body thrown on top of it.

I have been screened for everything they can think of including mri of neck, brain and abdominal CT. I'm seeing an endocrinologist for the hypoglycemia and trying to stabilize long enough to have the 5 hr glucose tolerance test done so she can see what the other hormones/insulin are doing.

I saw my neurologist who is extremely good yet I felt hopeless afterward. He said that he has seen many patients with the exact same symptoms and nothing is going to show up in blood work or other tests. Medical science doesn't have any test to identify what is happening in these cases. Fibromyalgia is used when they can't identify were pain is coming from, but he said that diagnosis doesn't fit these cases. They don't know what causes is and the only treatment are medications like Gabapentine, sometimes antidepressants for pain, if their is an anxiety issue from the symptoms meds for that. He does not know if it will be better, remain the same or get worse. Fortunately it looks like the medication is working me me at this time. He said it doesn't work for everyone. I have found the only comfort is warm showers which seems to cancel out the pin/needle/burning sensations, IV morphine/valium and fluids when home meds (oxycodone) are unable to control the pain.

At least my primary care doc now knows what I mean by "really sick episodes" since she saw me in her office this week shaking and crying in agony. She and her office staff has seen me go through a ton of really tough incredibly painful stuff but had never seen me in this condition. I had always been to ill to see her during these times, but my husband brought me in this time.

She sent me to the E.R. because I was in way too much agony to go home.  BP and HR has been very increased for the last two months, I'm sure from pain but the other blood work from the ER came out good as I suspected it would. They gave me meds and fluids which helped and sent me home because they didn't know what else to do. The next morning I was in the same miserable shape.

I've had 1 1/2 days of relief and now it feels like I'm beginning another episode as I'm writing this, and I'm terrified. I've taken an extra dose of Gabapentine and valium for the dizziness- (which I don't always have). Once the symptoms have begun any stress, physical activity and heat makes it worse. I hope the extra meds will keep it at bay.

I don't have any answers yet but I'm going to keep searching because I can't live with "only medication can help." My blood sugar levels have been good and I'm on a very good diet to keep it in check. I'll continue to work with the endocrinologist, nutritionist and I'll be consulting with my immunologist. Something is causing this to happen and I know it's not in my head or even stress/depression/ mental illness related because those aren't factors in my life. I respect my neurologist but I'm not accepting his view.

I feel for you and hope through sharing we can eventually find some answers or at least things that help us. I wish you wellness.
I've had very similar symptoms and was ultimately diagnosed with fibromyalgia. My initial symptoms and "flares" were different back then and all these odd, multitude of sensations that I had I attrinute to the stress I was under, while wondering what the heck was wrong with me. Dizziness, lack of coordination, arm and leg pain alternating ( burning, swollen feeling in limbs at times), mental slowness and fatigue, etc.

Now that I know what it is and can use my energy wisely, the weird symptoms only show up if I over-exert myself or am overly stressed. Everday fatigue and pain remain. Often feel shaky, weak, and flu- like during flares as well. At times I feel like poison or detergent was injected into my tissue and muscles. Sounds weird, I know.

Hope you find out what's going on. Good luck!
Omg, I thought i was the only one with these sensations, when i try and explain it to people, they look at me like im crazy. its such a relief that im not alone after all. now i know how to explain it and what to tell my doc. WHEW blessed be.

Insane Burniing
hi am 24 and around my 15years old i use too go to the pool everyday in the summer and after  my on the side elbows use to get really hot itchy constantly but it would leave and come back in the hot. around 4months ago maybe i went to the pool and it started to  itchy bad felt burning hot. i would put aquaphor and antibiotic it only help for few minutes after itching wouldn't stop i scratched and scratched i bleed the more i have scratch the bigger its gotten since. now is around 2 inches long and i been putting alcohol to it and then cortisone cream i bought it was actually helping stopping a bit controlling somewhat it was better but still but in this three days i been driving long time sun hits right on the same arm get worse sweat heat humidity are being my worse enemy and i also often have low blood pressure and i have many system of  hypoglycemia i got this from reading all of the comments i get itchy on both of my arm but the one that get more sun heat is my left arm and my old car had air but this car doesn't preying to fix it tomorrow and i a mom and it frustrates me to be like this during day im house taxi and night at work retail lot  pressure i have search every possible thing that could be i lost count my little the eczema but i don't like mine before i scratch it look more skin color bit lighter lil tiny bumpy the skin when i scratch is pinkish and inflammation  if i poke it turn white for seconds and back to color pink i hold the crazy fire itching is bad and people ask what wrong with me im terrified thinking is something really serious since in my both my grandparents have died caused of different type of cancer and my mother health is not very good at all low blood pressure everyday . we both get same body system dizziness, fatigue, headaches  cold sweat  chills and shakiness but she doesn't get the that itchy thing. in some what is all. my skin with the tingling sensation burning and itching driving me nuts.  connected with nervous, heat, humidity summer, sweat .i to find a solution to this problem .hope all of you too.
Hi. My itching started when I moved to a farm and started drinking Pasturised milk. I started to get eczema on the backs of my legs. I stopped drinking the milk but the itching didnt stop. One of my boobs started itching really bad and I have just had a baby so i thought it may of been thrush. I treated it but it kept itching. Then it started on the insides of my arms and as well as the itching and burning I got little bumbs. then it spread to my chest and other breast. Ive itched my breast so much ive actully bruised and broken the capillary veins on my breast and now have these hideious 'hicky' like bruises. Im getting so sick of this itching and it gets increasinly worse at night to the point where im getting around 2-3 hours of sleep if that. Which is not easy to run on when ive got a 18 month old, a new born and a man child to run around after. Please if anyone has any advice I will lap it up!

Help!
Hi, just thought I'd share. When I moved to a cold new climate I started developing this prickly, burning itch all over my back and butt. My thighs and elbows too. At first I thought it was an allergic reaction to the laundry detergent or fabric softener I was using, but later on it just turned out to be severely dry and irritated skin from the cold dry air and hot showers. I know this won't apply to many out there but for some of you who live in dry places, use topical or oral medicine that dry out or irritate the skin, have a history of dry skin, etc. You might try using a good moisturizer. Different people respond to different types of moisturizer so don't assume there is a "best". You don't get immediate and total elimination of it, but it helps substantially within the first application (possible longer if you have been suffering for a longer time) and gradually reduces it to be an occasional nuisance rather than an ongoing discomfort.

If you have a visible skin disease, it would probably be a better idea to test it out in small patches first to make sure there's no reaction.

I totally forgot about this until today because I caught a viral infection which gave me red splotches all over and I've been using calamine lotion for it. It wasn't itchy at first but as the days went by I developed this burning prickling itch. Which is when I remembered about dry skin feeling like this. The irony is that many topicals for itching skin can actually dry out skin more, making the prickling worse.
The last year I have been having burning itchy skin, mainly my hands and feet. When it starts its hard to stop. White lumps appear the only relief I have is ice. I  used somany different creams but to no avail. I've had blood test done and found that I have B12 difitiontsie(sorry for spelling). I have type 2 diabetes and kidney disease.  My doctor is at a loss please help.
My wife struggled with these symptoms as well! From grabbing cold jars and tins in the fridge...it disrupted our sleep like you wouldn't believe. We tried everything under the sun until a colleague told me about a day cream by mo skincare, I bought her a tester tub and wow it worked. It's a cream made for eczema, dry and irritated skin that works wonders, try it!
Im 21 an electrician (crawl through dirty rooves with insulation) and have had this condition for the last 4 odd months. The first night i remember it was whilst laying down in bed watching movies, its been a hot summer the whole time ive had it, quite humid too. Always occurs at night time, not necessarily because its hot but quite often it is. Though i am always itchy from insulation this is a different itch as its in the same spot (on my chest below neck). Going to try this b12 vitamins first, no drinking caffeine and trying some moisturiser on then let you know on my findings.
Whenever i do some work,but body heats up, and i feel prickly itchiness on my head, chest and back, seems as if needles are prickling.. Only thing i could figure out was that it might be due to lack of sweat coming out of my body as i live in a cold place and here body doesn't sweat that much, moreover my skin i s very sensitive if i scratch my body the skin gets blood red. Blood reports show every thing normal. No idea what it might be. Need help if anyone has the same problem!!!!!!
I have had burning prickly skin for the past 10 years. It seems like it gets worse in the Fall as the weather starts changing and I live in a dry cold climate. But as I have gotten older now 54 years old the burning prickly itchy skin has gotten worse. The itching is mostly on arms, legs, back and tongue. I have tried Vitamin B6, all creams with steriods, antihistamines nothing works. Had problems with ALT and AST levels being high but they are now back to normal and problems still does not go away. Like others before I can hardly stand to wear clothes and scalp is so sore at times hard to lay head on pillow. Allergist did show 13.5 to 15 level on Tryptase level but antihistamines don't help.
My girlfriend and I had this same rash for about four or five months and stumbled across some information that made sense. There are lots of heavy metals in our air right now from the marshmellow snakes in the sky. When you eat gluten, these metals which we are breathing in are pushed out from our skeletal and muscular matter through our skin, which is what causes the itching that everyone is experiencing. Start taking borax. It is a naturally occurring mineral and it binds itself with heavy metals and pulls them from your system as well as helps regulate the hypothallamus, which is also responsible for the body's usage of minerals. 20 Mule Team is the common brand in U.S grocery stores. Start out with one eighth of a tsp dissolved in a litre of water and dranken throughout the day for five days a week. You may gradually increase the amounts after some time. You would need to eat at least a whole box of borax to overdose on it, though the taste is a little strange! Not only will this clear up your skin but it will also increase your energy levels, open your nerve pathways, clear your mind, improve your memory, increase the lucidity of your dreams, increase your sexual vitality, open your endocerine system, strengthen your bones and joints and elevate your mood! : )... Spread the word if you will!
Oh yes. And there is one catch... :( It will be necessary to stop eating gluten as well if you want to completely discontinue the rash since it is the gluten that carries the metals through the skin. This way the boron will instead carry the metals out through your urine. If this diet is too strict for you, take it up with your government, who are the ones spraying the marshmallow snakes in the sky (the lines of cloud that come from certain air planes).
I have been seeing my doctor about this miserable itchy prickly skin over the last few years.He's run the regular blood tests,but nothing has shown as abnormal .The tests that you mentioned in your commentary,are they available "As requested by patient" tests? My Doctor seems pretty apathetic about there being a solution,but obviously it's urgent to me ! The stress from these intense itching attacks and combined with lack of sleep, its really wearing me down emotionally and mentally.With the frequency of these attacks escalating exponentially over the last year, I need some kind of proactive plan.
  What would you recommend for a plan of action for seeing a specialist? I don't know if I should try an Allergist first, a Dermatologist, a Neurologist ? What I'm asking ,is there a protocol as to the order in which they should be seen. I'm about to take the lead on this, since my GP doesn't seem to be very motivated, and my Insurance doesn't require referrals.
I have had the same symptoms for a very long time. The sensation comes on during the summer moths and goes away when it cools off. Last year I could not take it any longer and went to see my doctor, I was prescribed Selenium Sulfide lotion. Helps a bit, but still getting those horrible pricks, burning, itchiness symptoms. Nothing visible. Have gotten rid of yours?

Shawn
I could also relate to Carolynbph.  I have gotten this same itching for about 6 summers.  It comes in the summer, in August or early Sept.  It often starts after a week at the beach.  Interestingly my sister and I both started getting the itching after a vacation to Hilton Head.  The private pool at the house had turned green and was shocked clean while we were there.  I attributed it to that that first year.

It is only on my arms....just below my shoulder to aan inch or so above my wrist.  It is a burning, tingly itch that worsens with scratching.  I do get bumps if I scratch that are hard bumps and after scratching they are concave....like a little volcano.  

I will say that using coconut oil on it helps the itching a lot!!!  But you have to keep applying. I slather up before getting into bed and  I usually get up 1-2 times a night and just reapply.  I take coconut oil with me and apply as needed.  Luckily with warm weather I do not worry about greasing up my clothing!  If I can keep the itchy feeling away I am more comfortable.  It usually goes away by the end of October.
Thank you for that, as I have now rheumatoid arthritis for the last two years
no one my symptoms is the same as what you explain in your blog.

I will look into the vitamin B 12 therapy.
And yes it really feels like a burning inside doesn't it?

Here back shortly, should you like to respond

It can really keep you from getting a restful night sleep
as it appears to come on more so heavily in the night-time.

Warm regards johannes

Warm regards johannes

Warm regards johannes
I, like everyone else has suffered from prickly itch or pins and needles which ever you choose to call it.  Mine started in November 1994 just before Thanksgiving and lasted for about 6 or 7 months.  It was the sensation of being stuck with pins and needles and the only way to stop it was to cool my body down.  It reaccured in 2004 around the same time, but this time I went to my PCP and he sent me to a dermatologist who didn't have a clue so he prescribed medicated lotion which didn't work.  It returned this past February 2014 but this time I was determined to find out what is causing this problem.  My PCP sent me to an allergist and everything was normal.  I requested to see a neurologist and first he was perplexed but then he thought he knew what the problem was.  He also prescribed 800mg Gabapentin to stop the itching.  It actually stopped it by 90%.    I have been researching my problem and I think I found it.  "Small Fiber Sensory Neuropathy".   Please everyone google this and see if the stated symptoms are the same as the ones you are experiencing.   The neurologist sent me to have my small fiber nerves tested.  I found out when my body gets hot my brain sends a signal to the small fiber nerves to open the pores, the nerves are not getting the signal.  There is a communicating breakdown.  In other words, I can't sweat, this is what's causing the rash and prickly itch.  the sweat is caught under the skin and can't be released.  I also found out if you're experiencing the feeling of something crawling on your skin, that's what it might be but it could also be small electrical impulses from your brain to your nerve fiber endings.  For those of you that haven'y seen a Neurologist, go see one and tell them about "small fiber sensory neuropathy".  I hope this helps.  I pray God's Grace and His peace on everyone.
hi am 19. i have had the same pin prink and burning like skin pain when i turned 16 right after my birthday. over the years it is getting stronger and stronger. sometimes i have to put off every cloth i am wearing if it could really help me a little.  i have tried endometacin, paracetamol, tramadol and neurobin also lotions and creams but none seem to either help relief the symptom of slow the progression. the pain is symmetrical, fast diffusing and over the time increasing in duration. sometimes cold air and staying still in bed helps reduce the symptoms. everyone, i am from ethiopia and couldnt get any doctor who knows what this is and so am trying to help my self but desperate of ur help. tnx
I experience the exact same thing! even the mimicking on both legs,  it has been efecting my legs (only) for years now and i can't seem to find the cause of it. Sometimes shaving can set it off, but this is not always the case. I have tried all sorts of exma creams, including steroid creams and they don't really seem to do much.
have you found anything that works yet? or what the cause is??
I would love some feedback, a prevention would be the preferred result. I am going to try staying away from sugar and wheat to see it that helps.
i have the same problem as well, ive been getting prickly itchy feeiling all over my body, some have become itchy dry areas. could this be a gluten intolerance,allergy or celiacs.
I have suffered from horrible attacks of a burning skin sensation for about 10 years.  I have been evaluated by a dermatologist, primary care physician, allergist and neurologist and none of them has any idea what the problem is or how to treat it.  The condition almost disappears in cold weather but comes on with a vengeance in hot, humid weather.  I have found 2 remedies.  The first is to take a very hot bath. The second is to coat myself with a mentholated cream/gel like Icy Hot.  I think the menthol over stimulates the nerves and "distracts" them from whatever systemic reaction is causing the burning.  The down side of the menthol is that it makes me feel frigid, which is highly unpleasant.  I've started experimenting with mixing the menthol with a neutral agent such as aloe vera gel to reduce the intensity while maintaining a cooling effect.  Good luck to all who suffer from this terrible problem.
The symptoms you have been experiencing are very similar to mine. Dr. visits resulted in, "immune system problem" as reason, followed by periodic
steroid injections (some brief relief) along with topical steroid creams (relief
may be from the moisture effect from the cream).  Still, the symptoms return and fluctuate with intensity.  The use of very warm running water provides a sensation of scratching without the abrasion of the skin; this may provide an
effect such as over stimulation of the nerve endings with temporary relief.
Also, the use of mentholated creams/gels create the same sensation of
over-stimulation that provides temporary relief.  Thank you for your comments.  Hopefully, we can all arrive at the root cause and solution for all.
togetherwestand
Finally, some one out there who knows what I've been dealing with for the past 2 years!!  I will spread the word.  Thank you so much...
Hi I am 14 and I was out side cleaning my pool for the water from last year, which was green and smelled bad. I took a shower and I was itch so I looked at my arms to see what it was I have like a red dot and when I rubbed my arm I feel like I had pin and needle in my arms just shape pains that hurt really bad .I don't now what this is I have put pinxav on it put it just made a mess and made the pin feeling worse. Plz help
I have the same exact thing where once I start scratching...it gets worse and worse.  Last night was the worst.  It actually started in the afternoon when i had went outside on my lunch break and became hot and then it started and intensified to the point I had to leave work....I have popped Benadryl hourly...Nothing is working....I woke up this morning and I have scratch marks and bruising all over my back and arms where I have scratched so hard.  I am actually sore all over my body. There are also very large (looks like) burr holes on top of my shoulder and under my breast where my bra sits and another one on my torso....wierd....
possibly from all the aerial spraying they are doing, do you get trails in the sky ?
look up Dermagraphism
I have been having similar symptoms since January 2015; but my prickly, itchy skin has been around my neck! I usually notice it first thing in a morning and it feels like prickles from the inside coming out; it itches and I try really hard not to scratch because if I do it comes up like a burn right around my neck, it looks like a collar and becomes very sore and affects the skin behind my ears and my eyelids which become very red and swollen. My skin becomes very scaley and dry and even more itchy.
I have tried creams, tablets etc but t.hey don't seem to help at all.
I have stopped using anything other than water for washing my face but I still can't seem to eradicate the problem.
I do use an aloe jel on my skin when the prickly skin starts and this does keep it under control to a degree but I really do have to stay on top of it or it gets out of control!
I have no idea what's causing it; I wonder whether it's my bedding as it always seems to be worse in a morning! I've changed my pillows to some which are anti allergy but to no avail!
I would be interested if anyone else experiences this problem with their neck too, as it appears that most people have it on other areas of their body.
i read the same thing that the vitamin b-12 is the answer. for most, i have the sensation of tiny pins poking me and i feel so warm my face is hot and neck as we speak and my hands stays hot as well... its a bad thing, i know i have neurothomy but i am not a diabetic as i know. i have fibromyalgia and that makes many things happen, but i went for about 4 weeks broke out on feet legs and up a little past my knees and it looked like i had the measles some spots was bigger, i went to dr. tried creme, almost used the whole tube over a weekend plus benadryl man i tell you, after you get so much of an antihistamine you can't sleep, it hyped me up and i was wide awake and it was miserable, i also have breaking out on arms and i just am miserable but i do have trouble with my vitamin b-12 and D being low and had to take shots, so its hard, i still don't know what my breaking out is but i do know that when i go outside after or during grass being mowed i have trouble with the breaking out some, just not as bad as the other time.. so i try to stay away from it.. so good luck i would love to stop feeling so hot, i also have rosasha and that makes me feel even hotter... and itchy, good luck .... may God bless you and i pray to see the issues to go away ....  One Hot lady
I do ....and it comes up in blisters
i have almost exactly the same symptoms, I have been dx with Lupus, but I am not sure if thats what it is as I am on meds for that.  I usually take vitamin d supplements, and during the summer I was fine, it stopped.  Now as fall starts, the itching has. I am increasing my d3 supplement today and praying it is helpful
Thought my itchy burning skin feelings were brought on by the central heating comming on each year but turns out it is winter hay fever brought on by tree moulds!  Had it for years and finally went to docs a few years back as eyes, tongue, ears and throat itching started as well and I was going insane. Doc sussed it straight away and anti histamines do the trick. Hope this helps   t
I've had this for 35 years.   ICE is the only remedy that gives immediate relief and it comes in waves and this definitely helps.  Mine flares in the fall; is worse at night and arrives on my upper arms & neck.    I am off all gluten, all grains and all sugar which does feel good.    I will experiment with the B-12.     I think there's a relationship between this and elevated liver enzymes - and for some reason it's always been seasonal.   I also suspect a hypo-thyroid connection and/or estrogen allergy of some type.    I am incredibly grateful for the internet - 10 years ago I started finding and following blogs on brachial pruritus and it's comforting to know I am NOT crazy ... as I've been to no less than 25 doctors who just don't have answers nor attempt to further investigate.     Wishing you all the best!    XOXOX
have you tried westcort
did you ever get this diagnosed?  im suffering vwith the same thing.
I have had the exact same thing for almost 3 years. They at first said it was dry skin which it wasn't. Then they went to internal shingles, gave me meds that didn't work. Now they think it's autoimmune, but have no remedy.
I am tired of living this way
Leaky gut! Leaky gut is when you damage the lining of your stomach wall and cells don't respond allowing partical to filter into you blood stream. Picture it like a cafe filter if a hole gets within the filter all the cafe grinded pieces will come through and you cofe wont be drinkable. Your stomach acid burns the food and the food is filter from its vitamins. Partical enter your blood stream and you get allergies.
What damages your stomach cells? Bad bacteria. Where does it come from old dough, flour, bread, pizza... Business put that powder to avoid it aging but we ready don't have enough study to know ALL the bacteria that exist and could survive aging flour dough etc....MOLD. which damages your stomach cells and cause allergies. Probiotic contains good bacteria that fight bad bacteria allowing the cells to rebuild. Yogurt has good bacteria..hope this info is helpful. Try it...a stronger stomach doesn't hurt. BEST TO YOUR HEALTH! And let those chain fast food places know their food hurts.
I HAVE A SUGGESTION FOR ALL OF YOU TO TRY OUT....

Bear with me, I know this is a long post..

I just wanted to let anyone know that might read this that I've been dealing with similar symptoms for almost a year now and think I have stumbled onto something that helps. The burning/skin sensations can definitely make you feel like you are living through hell. My symptoms range from prickly skin sensations that jump around all over my body to full on burning sensations all over my skin, basically everywhere on my body...for which the best description is a sunburned feeling. The burning would come on midday and progressively get worse throughout the night, and strangely I would feel almost no burning after I went to bed and woke up the next morning. However, my symptoms progressed further and eventually there were a lot of days where it was constant, from morning until night.

****I think (fingers crossed) I have stumbled onto some breakthroughs for me. First, I had figured out early on (thankfully) that dairy was a big trigger for my symptoms. To the point that if I accidentally had some dairy without knowing, I could pinpoint that it had to have been in a certain food because the symptoms came on, and sure enough when I checked labels..it was. I'm not talking just simply no milk, cheese, butter, etc...you have to pay attention to labels of any prepackaged foods or foods you didn't prepare. You would be surprised at how many things dairy are in (like progresso italian bread crumbs??). All packaged store foods have a label that list allergens and will say if something contains dairy, or in some cases you have to read all the ingredients carefully because it might be listed in the ingredients as whey, or casein, etc. By cutting out dairy completely, that significantly reduced my symptoms.

Cutting out dairy helped a TON, but I was still having the same symptoms that again progressed in spite of no dairy. I'll point out that I also deal with gastritis and came across some information that talked about how people with compromised stomachs can develop histamine intolerance. I suspect that might be what is happening for me. I did some further digging into natural ways to remedy this and found out about quercetin, which is a natural antihistamine supplement. A lot of people take this for stomach issues as well and I have read about it countless times and decided to give it a try. I started taking 1 capsule three times a day (morning before a meal, midday before dinner and before bed). **I don't know if the brand matters, but if any of you are curious, I got the Now brand that is combined quercetin with bromelain. And the size is 400mg per capsule.

Again, fingers crossed that I don't jinx this by writing about it, but my symptoms have significantly improved since I started doing this. Please use caution when doing this, because I did read some information that high doses long term can cause kidney problems but I believe it was much higher than the amount I was taking. I have since cut back to only one capsule in the morning usually and still seem to be doing ok. Maybe talk to a doctor before you do this (although they will probably advise against anything that there isn't a ton of research on). I am taking my chances tho because it has helped.  

I sincerely hope this will help even just one person on here, because I know how much this can affect your life. It really breaks you physically and mentally when you deal with a chronic issue like this, I have been there. My heart goes out to all of you that you figure out something that helps. Keep reading forums and never give up trying new remedies you come across. Best of luck to all of you.

I guess I will also add that I stopped wearing eye makeup around the same time I started the quercetin. My eyelids were burning and stinging a lot and I was having a lot of eyelashes fall out, so I decided to try not wearing makeup and it took those eye symptoms away significantly. I think the odds are better that it's the quercetin that's helping the rest of my skin, but I suppose I should point out that it could be either thing since I started both things around the same time.
Grovers disease. My husband had it. Found out his Lisinopril was the culprit and took him off it... Gone. Look it up. It will describe it to a tee
It sounds like Hells Itch to me, which is a reaction from the sun.  I figured this out by having a severe reaction to a tanning bed a while back.  It is very intense and will drive you insane!!  You cannot just not scratch, but when you do, it goes away for about 2 seconds, then comes back even worse!  If he is exposing his problem areas to the sun or if he works outside, I would consider this.  You can get OTC medicated menthol lotion (should be able to find some at any given pharmacy, but I got mine from Walmart).  This is the only thing I have found to work, and it works instantly!!  You just might have to reapply every now and then.  Sarna is a good one to get.  And if you go to Walmart, there is an Equate version that is even better.  Hope he figures out what is going on, because that mess is no joke.  Good luck!
It has the same symptoms as scabies..but plz realize scabies can effect anyone it has nothing to due with cleanliness.  Unfortunately it is spread by human contact.  Usually hugging someone that is infested or if u have been in the hospital or nursing home. There are creams with permetherin that u apply head to toe and leave on 8 to 24 hours.  All people need to be treated in the family home even if they are asymptomatic. Also bedding and clothes needs to be washed in hot water.Anything that can not be washed ie stuff animals can be put in plastic bags tied shut and leave for at least 72 hours.  In a week its advised for a second treatment of lotion due to any eggs left by mite hatch in that time and the first treatment only kills live mites not their eggs.  I hope this helps or at least you can elimnate the diagnosis of scabies.