Burning, prickly, itchy skin

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Burning, prickly, itchy skin

My husband age 59 has been experiencing burning, prickly itchy skin at random times but mostly during the evening.  He has the sensation of pins and needles pricking his skin from the inside out.  This mostly occurs on his arms or legs or back, but not concurrently. First it was his legs then it moved to his back and currently the problem is on his arms. The sensation will be symetrical, i.e. both arms. The prickling turns into severe itching with sensations of pin pricking pain. Once the itching starts it is very hard to control.  He has used ice, benedryl, anti itch creams and Zyrtec. His allergy tests by blood were negative. Skin can become dry and rough although no visable rash.

Itchy skin can be a manifestation of eczema,psoriasis, internal diseases like liver and kidney disorders,diabetes, iron deficiency anemia, irritation and allergic reactions to chemicals,wool,soaps,cosmetics and certain foods.

But these pins and needles sensations are different.They are called parasthesia and are common in alcoholics and metabolic disorders like diabetes, hypothyroidism, and hypoparathyroidismThey can also be due to peripheral vascular disease, vitamin B12 deficiency or malnutrition.
Get your husband’s blood sugar and thyroid hormones levels evaluated.He can take some vit B12 for some days and see if the symptoms are gone or not. In case the symptoms persist then pls consult a neurologist as it can be due to some neurological disorder. Common disorders causing paraesthesias are rheumatoid arthritis and carpal tunnel syndrome transient ischemic attack, motor neurone disease, or autoimmune disorders like multiple sclerosis or lupus erythematosus. A diagnostic evaluation by a doctor is necessary to rule these out.

Treatment will depend on the diagnosis.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how your husband is doing or if you have any additional doubts.

I'm 25 and over the past few weeks I've been getting a prickly-itch all over my shoulders and upper back. It's like tiny independent little pricks or itches all over my back/shoulders even when I'm just sitting still. I can hardly have my hair touching my skin & even soft cotton irritates my back. I try not to scratch, it leaves  aburning pain for a few  seconds or so when I do scratch, but I can ahrdly even wear clothing. It's just constantly uncomfortable. It's worst at night (it's 2:34 am and it starts getting bad in the later evening and is very uncomfortable now). Lately I've been getting this in the morning.

No new meds, foods, exposures, clothing, body or hair products either.

Please help!

Prickly
Hi Prickly,
I have same symptoms that you described.. Prickly itch is mostly on back, lower abdomen and shoulders.. Though I have general itch all over my body since past few weeks... I went to doctor & he gave me a cream to apply. and asked me stop using my current lotion/cream on arms legs.. It helped temporarily but now the itch has spread to entire body and not just arms n legs..
Did you take any medicine? Is your condition any better. Please advice.
I am 34 years old and have had this sensation since the summer of 2009, doctors thought it was exzema (eczema) (but I did not fit the symtpoms).  I get prickly feeling throughout my body as wel, it is worse on my back and shoulders.  I try to ignore it.  I find sometimes stress and anxiety makes it worse.,  I have been using Aveeno cream and it has helped, but I still feel the individual pin-like sensation going in and out of my skin.  I am alittle worried because I heard this could be a sign of lymphoma--have you heard of this?
Please I feel like I am going out of my mind. Last year I develop round red spots to my lower legs that are consisted of psoriasis per my dr. I have tried every cream possiable. It has know spread throughout my body. I aslo started burning from the inside out and my skin feelslike it is on fire. It feels like a prickly itch. This has become difficult. Ihave always wander if having a water softener would help. I currently looking for a md to actually test for psoriasis and lupus.
i have the same problem and ive had it for like 5 years and it *****. i cant even work at a job becuase of this crap. i do not kno what to do about it, it makes me feel like i'd rather be dead. this is like hell when the itching starts cause it feels like im on fire. i went to the doctor a while back and they just gave me a depressent medicine. i cant stand this. i really need some help or need some cold air. ialso use to smoke weed and that really helped me out because when u smoke it goes away, idont kno how but the whole time your high you do not feel it anymore. but know im about to b on probation and i dont smoke anymore and its back. but marijauna does really help it out.
My back began to itch like crazy on Mother's Day this year 2010...i thought i had food poison from shrimp i ate...next day my whole body, head back legs pelvic bone ankles....an itch that could not be ignored..i tired penicillin, benadryl, calamine
lotion and aqua chi detox bath...THE ONLY THING THAT HELPED AFTER RESEARCH, WAS B12 VITAMINS...The itch is occuring in the nervous system. Try it..it worked for me...
The symptions a lot of you describe sounds like what I go through with my left upper arm.  This happened last summer & started on my lower left arm then moved up.  I work outside along the Gulf Coast & in the sun & high temps all day.  It cleared up when cooler weather set in last year but it has returned again this summer.  I thought it had started last summer because of an old leaky camper I was living in until I found a home to buy.  The camper had some mold & mildew on the ceiling & walls.  I would wake up from scratching my arm.  It starts with a mild itch, then once you scratch just a little it starts a prickly, warm burning feeling that causes me to scratch more, then of course the pricks & burning get worse.  I literally end up scratching my arm raw leaving sores.
I have tried all kinds of anti-itch creams & lotions.  They work a few seconds & that is it.  Putting ice to it seems to be the only relief.  I have to use 2-3 cubes of ice to make it stop.  
It is coming close to the end of July & all I can hope for is cooler weather to hurry up & get here so hopefully it will stop again.
I am sitting here tonight looking up possible causes, not wanting to go to bed because afraid I will disturb my husband with the scratching.
I was born in Africa where I spend both my childhood and part of my adulthhood. I came to Europe on  October 2009 to continue my education.
   During the month of December 2009 when the winter came I started feeling itching and burning sensation in my body expecially when I just came in from cold enviroment. I cant even stay in a hot room.
    Also when I travelled to other city or region in Europe and shower with the different water and soap, I feel the same itching and burning sensation in my body and sometimes dizziness.
   Furthermore,  I also feel these skin itching and burning sensation during the summer holiday but not so intesive compare to the winter season. I have been using sensitive shower gel, cream and Laundry detergent both to no avail, but If I mistakenly uses non sensitive both cream gel and detergent the feeling get worse.  
       Lastly these stange feeling itching and burning sensation do occur when I am anxious, positive/negative emotion and doing any kind of sport both indoor and outdoor.
      I will be very glad if my question is treated because the pain is to much and my laps leg are full of mark which I can even try to show a girl.
Best regard
I had this itchy prickly feeling going on intermittenly all over with no real rash. My head was very bad, it felt as though I had bugs or something. In addition, I had some burning in the sole of my left foot. This started last April along with a number of other symptoms.
I had 1 round of food allergy tests. I was tested for only 40 food types. I had to request that I be tested for certain foods that they did not include. I had no visible rash so I do
not think the doctor took me seriously. I had a mild reaction to Chicken and Almonds.
Well, I ate chicken almost daily and I drank almond milk daily (because I am lactose intolerant and can't drink milk)!!! I also had a mild reaction to Corn and Peas. Well, corn
by products are in almost everything!
The doctor was not really impressed with the "mild" reaction because there is usually
a "larger" reaction (welt) when someone is allergic, he said. He did suggest stopping these foods to see what happened.  I did stop these. The itching lessened immediately.
Although the itching subsided, I still didn't feel totally itch free so I stopped eating Gluten
(Wheat, Rye & Barley). The results were amazing!!! My itching totally disappeared along with numerous other health issues.
You should keep a food diary to determine exactly what you are ingesting. Try to rotate out different foods to see if your symptoms change. You may want to get tested again for food allergies/intolerances/sensetivities (I think there may be differences between these). You may also want to examine the possibility of having "Leaky Gut Syndrome".
This may even be my problem. The whole subject is complicated!  You have to be dedicated and determined to helping yourself because this diet detection process is not easy. Going Gluten Free is difficult and expensive but if Gluten is a problem you have to do it. I hoped I helped. Good Luck!
It's going on 3 years since your post so I don't know if you'll be reading this. Hopefully your husband has found some relief and if so, please share...

It has only been in the last month that I too have experienced similiar symptoms. So far it's only occured at night and has not been a nightly event...yet.

The prickly skin on my legs (usually starts above my knees and is mirrored exactly in both legs: symptoms, location, intensity) will wake me up and before long the prickly burning becomes an intense itch. What I've noticed is that it will burn and itch in one location and then spread to the lower portion of my legs...again mirrored exactly in each leg. I haven't noticed being hot or sweaty during any of these episodes, nor do my legs feel like they've fallen asleep. Oh, also if, for example, I scratch my right leg above the knee the itching intensifies, but it also intensifies in the left as well.

If this happens again, hopefully not, I will check my legs for redness, rash, or hives. However, I've never felt any bumps while scratching. I am fortunate in that it has only happened at night and symptoms have remained in my legs, however it is intense enough to wake and keep me up (at least until it subsides).  

I am amazed at the number of people I've read that are experiencing something similiar, but there are only a few that have stated that theirs is mirrored from one side of the body to the other. Are there any others with this particular symptom and how have you all been coping with it? Have your symptoms started in a localized area and as time goes on, spread to other areas?

I look forward to hearing from you and others...thanks in advance,
Crystal
I first started with the condition of generalized burning, itching, pricking and also at times smarting.  I truly sympathise with all who suffer from this condition of virtual torture.  Mine started on boxing day 2008 in an hotel in Cheshire UK.  I mistakenly thought at the time that I might have picked up something by way of an infestation  from relatives dogs or from the hotel bed. It started with a need to scratch in the middle of my back, but over a few weeks  worsened and became more generalized, culminating in me waking up in the night thinking someone had slipped a dead horses head in the bed. a la 'The Godfather' only to find that I had ripped up the inside of my left arm. This led me to take things more seriously.  On my first doctors visit (one of many), I asked for a prescription for Phenytoin, as this was a drug given to me by an emminent hospital neurologist, that cured me of an unexplained  malaria like ague with torrential sweating 20 years earlier.  My reason for asking for this drug is that I held the theory that sometimes the regulatory mechanisms controlling functions such as temperature regulation, sensory perception, endocrine controls etc, can all become disrupted by trauma or disease. He told me that phenytoin  is no longer prescribed and gave me the modern alternative. Gabapentin (Neurontin in the US).  This works for me and makes life bearable.  However, after over two years of various tests including liver, blood, neurological and other tests including ultrasound and CCT scans I am no further forward in finding a cure.  The Gabapentin works fine for me with few or no side effects other than giving me a slight lift in mood. I can get away with taking it from about five pm when the symptoms start to come on strong. It is said not to be addictive, but one could say that feeling even a little better from this disgusting condition, that seems to find difficult to empathise with, (many medic alike), may be said to be addictive.  That is to say addictive to 'trying to be normal'.  I am now relegated to a dermatologist who has pronounced that I have 'Idiopathic Generalized pruritus'. In other words she doesn't know. I now share the distinction of being a proud member of a group of patients that she tells me are the longest with her and the most unhappy.  But despair not.  You may find that Gabapentin, or the likes, works for you and in addition the knowledge that it does not load the liver and passes unchanged through the kidneys.  Also continuing research may crack this one sooner or later. Probably sooner with the accelerating strides being made recently.
My advise for what it's worth is to have liver function, pancreas, kidneys, and blood checked out after you have eliminated the obvious.  Don't get thinking that you have some nasty like lymphoma etc, as the chances are that you are suffering from one of dozens of other more probable causes. (and even lymphoma is  highly treatable these days)
Finally also, stay cool.  Getting wound up seems to just make it worse.
One positive result from the investigations that I had, was that on endoscopy they found that I had 'Barretts Esophagus' which is a pre-cancerous condition that is more likely to occur with GERD.  I will now be having this monitored every year or so.  I would advise that others check this out, as it is not to be ignored.
I do hope this helps in some way.  How distressing is this condition?
Do I know just!
Have you ever checked out cholinergic urticaria?  Here's a website you can to to.  www.cholinergicurticaria.net
I have been having this itchy, prickly problem for a few months now. It started when I went to the water park close by. It is getting to be very annoying. I am having trouble sleeping, do not want anything to touch my skin. I am having problems even laying my head on a pillow. This is so weird. There are no signs of a rash or hives, etc. I have to keep my house very cool or the problem gets worse. If anyone can tell me what is going on and where to get help, please let me know.
I have a similar problem. It feels like someone is sticking me with a pin in my front left shoulder. I have had this condition for at least 8 years and it's been very intermittent but last night I could not sleep. It started in the same spot, but no rash and then moved a few inches over so now I have 2 spots like i'm being pricked and the itch is terrible. I took a half of a Percocet and froze the spot with ice for about 20 min. Hopefully it won't continue tonight even though, like everyone is saying, it seems to be worse at night. I really do believe this is neurological in nature because it seems to happen when I'm horizontal...not vertical.
Itchyandscratchey
Hi, my name is Jenni I am 47 years old and have had this awful burning, itchy skin. I have been to many Doctors for this condition. I have been told I have Keratosis Pilaris.. This all started for me right around the time of puberty. I would take a shower and end up with itchy legs. I would run around the back yard like a chicken with my head cut off. The itch would finally go away. As I have gotten older it has moved to my arms too. Sometimes my torso  and head. It almost always happens when I take a shower. Now within the last few years I itch/burn and feel like I'm going crazy without taking a shower. I even went so far as to stop showering. I would just sink bathe. I have tried ever kind of soap,laundry soap,shaving,not shaving,bath instead of shower. Everything I look up about Keritosis Pilaris doesn't mention much about itching. I go through a lot of Atarax for the itching. I have 4 children and 2 of them have also complained to me about itching after showering. I don't know what to tell them because I don't know what is doing this to me. Please help If you have had this and know what it is and how to stop it.
I have also had this itchy, burning from inside out. We have a water softner and it hasn't done any good for me. My husband had a problem that came on all of a sudden when he was in his 30's. Turned out he had had strep throat which caused his itching. They put him on antibiotic and he got better. Ask your doctor to check for that.
Same exact thing with me...

As I sit here and type I have the pin and itchy back and arms thing going on. I try to ignore it  but damn... hard to do. Shaving becomes very delicate.

I too am amazed that so many other people seem to have the VERY same symptoms. I am 62 , always been very active and healthy but  was really starting to worry that something was wrong. Certainly do good but I guess the "misery loves company" could apply here in a strange way.  :-)

The doctors comments above prompted me to look up "Paresthesia" which appears to be the technical term for what we are experiencing. Here is the Wiki link to it with a little bit of information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paresthesia

Bob in Orlando
I have a mild itchy/prickly feeling all over my body lately that I get only at night before bed.  A couple years ago I had a feeling often that my skin was crawling and that I couldn't sit still, and I lowered my caffeine intake and it went away.  Lately I've been drinking a lot more coffee and I think it might be related.  Stress plus caffeine can make your adrenal system freak out, and all sorts of weird symptoms can show up.  Eliminate the simple things before worrying about the major life-changing possible causes.  Does anyone here drink a lot of coffee and have these symptoms?  I'm betting quite a few.
I wouldn't say that I drink a lot of coffee or pop but it's possible that the increase I have made over the Christmas / New Year's season might have kicked up my itching.  I will try and cut down on my mine and see if that helps.  The itching drives me CRAZY and all you can do is itch until you cause sores!  UGH!  Stressful in itself!  Thanks for your comments.
I also suffer from the prickly itchy sensation on my back especially, I'm surprised no one mentioned what started my symptoms, I got bit by something which left a circular hole surrounded by swelling and circular pealing of my skin, Everyone check this out and e mail me at ***@****,  I haven't seen a doctor for insurance reasons!!  toghether we can get to the bottom of this misureable infection, when i get hot i scratch like crazy every since then. i am thinking in the family of staph or lime, i was bit in a very public establishment.
As a nurse, I recently treated a friend for free who also had no insurance and like you, it started with a bite (possibly a spider bite). Hers had gotten so bad and  turned into cellulitis spreading up her leg.. You need to see a doctor immediately.. Ask the doctor if the doctor would agree for you to   apply sterile dressings soaked in normal saline  and wrap with dry gause twice a day.... You can search the web on how to make normal saline or ask your pharmacist.. You can also buy  cans normal saline spray OTC. . Or search for an online doctor site., or visit an urgent care site or  free clinic. I hope this works.. It is important that you see a doctor..
I am sorry about your rain. I have it also...for over 10 years now.

I wanted to ask what kind of ati-dpressants you tried. I have been told that old fashioned tricyclics might help with both chronic itching and chronic pain.

As for maryjane, have you considered moving to Cali? It is going to take a while for the rest of the country to stop punishing sick people with stupid marijuana laws.

peace.
I had the same symptoms and I changed my brand of laundry detergent from Tide to another brand. Which when I started using Tide and exercising I would exhibit the same itchy burning feeling you all described.

Changing my laundry detergent worked for me. I hope this information will help at least one other person.

Kind Regards,

I was diagnosed with systemic lupus in 1990, over the last 10 years I would get the extreme hot feeling on both legs then both arms after showering.  2 Benadryl would help.  It went away and I get it only occasionally now, during the night, I'll wake up with very hot legs, then arms, extreme itching, pins and needles feeling and Benadryl and Benadryl anti itch cream works.  My last episode woke me up at 3:30 a.m. and last until 6:00 a.m.  I was ready to go to the ER it was so bad, but kept popping Benadryl every hour (don't recommend this) until I took the maximum 24 hour dose, and it went away.  I believe it is a nerve issue with lupus and will check with my Rheumatologist next week.  

judid777
Are you finding lots of little hair like lints floating around or stuck in your clothing? If u develop a pimple looking thing does it start turning brown, like a mole, then gets darker and darker until the skin around it is very dry and it looks like a scab? Also, look in your shoes, shoe soles, any cotton clothing or material, and if you find holes very tiny holes in any of these items it could be what I think I have based on my symptoms and research, called Magellons...I'm trying to figure this out, doctors dont seem to know what it is because this diesease dissappeared in the 1600's, but now is showing up in various spots of the U.S - like CA, Nevada, Texas...check into this and look at all your shoe soles, if they look like they are being eaten away slowly, decomposing at a rapid rate...it could be serious...GL if i get more info on this I'll post
***@**** here     Last summer itchy prickly skin started.Numerous Dr. visits with creams ointments anti-itch stuff.No help at all.Dr.gets sick and by now some places I scratched looked bad still itching . like crazy.Thought I was going crazy!!!Ended up see new female she took one look and said Mersa same as staph.Rx. for me MUPIROCIN OINTMENT 2%.Just got ointment out this year and it already feels 100% better.Must be something in the air.The spelling is right on the ointment I double checked.I am located in high humidity area,are any of you?
I have the same problem with my left arm right around my elbow.  Itches so bad especially when I go to bed but I find myself scratching it during the day also.  Never had this problem until this summer.  I have recently moved back to NV from OR.  wondering if the weather change has anything to do with it.  Would love some advise as it is getting worse and i have tried lotions, ice, cool water and alcohol.  HELP
I too have been suffering with this insane itching. It is bad enough during the day but so much worse at night. It started last Dec. I bought something to get rid of leg hair. It was some kind of laser. My legs started itching a lot so I stopped using it after a couple of weeks. I started itching certain spots on my stomach and lower back area but then it spread  all over my stomach and lower back then to my butt cheeks, then up both sides even my arm pits, then across my back. My legs are not as itchy as the rest of my body but every now and then they do itch like crazy My arms do not itch as of yet but the rest of my body itches so bad it is driving me insane. I have tried changing my laundry soap and the soap I was with and no change. I have tried many different creams  for dry skin. I have been using Gold Bond extra strength  for some relief  I have tried different antihistamine and still no relief. I do not have a rash of any type but I do have sores everywhere from scratching so much that I rip my skin. Once the itch starts if I scratch  then it spreads like wild fire and it burns but I can't stop scratching. My dr. did do blood work to check my liver and it was ok. I feel like I have insulation in my clothes all the time no matter what type of clothing I am wearing.  I can't imagine having to live like this forever :(
I'm 33 I've been having this problem when ever I drink too much alcohol and it won't disappear until 2 week, so I try avoiding alcohol. Will take the advice and I'll start drinking B12 vits
hi-   i have the exact same problem.   i tell everyone its like having insulation on you all the time.  I am itchy, prickly and burning up everyday, all day.   i can't take it.  i take so much benydral to relieve the itch but its only temporary.   my mom has RA and im wondering if i have RA or Lupus.  Going to make calls to DR asap.  This is no way to live.
I am 59 and developed this burning, itchy and hot skin proplem just over a year ago.  It all started when i fell off a ladder and broke my arm in three places.  They used some new type of cast material that is not the regular plaster type.  It came in a sealed bag and once opened it immediately starts to harden but they soke it in water to speed up the hardening time to only about 10 minutes.  The burning and itching started about 5 days after the cast was put on.  It started as only a small patch at my wrist and elbow, but soon spread to the whole area under the cast.  It got so bad, that they had to remove the cast after only two weeks.  I could not have anything tight touching my arm as it held in the heat and the itching and burning became intolerable.  When i fell it was on my concrete driveway which is quite rough due to being porly finished and as i live in an area that is foggy, damp and cool most of the time, mold and moss are pretty much everywhere outside, including on my driveway.  I skined the plam of my hand and elbow when i fell in this mossy and moldy driveway and the emergency hospital did not wash or clean out the cuts before they put the cast on.  After they took the cast off after only two weeks, instead of the burning and itching getting better, it just started getting worse and spreading.  First my entire arm and shoulder on the broken arm and then it spread to my other arm; then to my whole upper body.  It does not present as a red rash, only a very slight blotchyness on my arms, which are the worst affected area, and just non red tiny pimples everywhere else.  So at first the Doctors treated me for an allergic reaction to the cast material as that was where it started.  I spent four months on ever increasing dosages of Prednisone and getting steroid and benedryl shots. I was also given every cream, ointment and lotion both perscription and over the counter known to man.  All of which only increased the symptoms, because they held in the heat making the burning worse.  When I was on the full dosage of the Prednisone, the symtoms (symptoms) got a little better, but as soon as I tappered off it came back even worse.  So then i was reffered to a Dermatologist who decided to tripple my dosage of prednisone for an entire month.  Same issue.  As soon as i tappered off; the symtoms (symptoms) came back with a fury.  So the next visit, he asked me what it felt like.  I told him it started with a stinging like being stuck with a million pins and then began burning and itching to an extreme level.  Also my skin felt hot to the touch and anything touching my skin just made it hotter and the burning and itching got even worse.  So after that two minute description and the fact that it did not really present as a red or blistery rash, he decided it was a "Skin Nerve Rash".  He said this is caused by stress and sent me back to my regular Doctor.  They have now tried three different anti-anxiety medications starting with a low dosage and now to a higher dosage for over 7 months now.  I started with Atavan, then Xanex twice a day and then upped to three times a day which helped some, but has not cured the rash and only just barely keeps it from wanting to kill myself.  Then my doctor retired and the new doctor did not like me taking Xanex three times a day and switched me to Valium twice a day,  the symptoms got substantially worse.  So after after two months of the valium not helping, I finally put my foot down and had him put me back on the Xanex three times a day.  It is better, but since the symtoms (symptoms) got much worse and spread to more parts of my body during the Valium period, now the Xanex is less affective.  So now I am begining to think this is not really being caused by stress even though it does get worse if i get mad or upset.  The weirdest part is that any type of contact with material or even me just touching my arm with my hand makes the burning worsean and the plams of my hands are very hot all time; but if I take a warm to medium hot bath it stops the burning and itching completely while i am in the water.  As soon as I get out, it all starts up again.  So I am at a loss as to what the actual cause is for this as are my doctors. I think they are just calling it stress related because they don't have a clue to the actual cause.  I would think that seven months on anti-anxiety meds, should have gotten rid of it if it is being caused by stress, so I don't know what to do.  About the only changes in diet is that because of high chloesteral, i pretty much stopped eating red meat and am eating mostly poultry.  Both diagnose's were made from supposition on the doctors part and no actual blood workups or other tests have been done to check for other causes.  I do have Diabetes, but it is under very good control and i also have high blood pressure but that is under control as well.  All I know is that now I can not wear anything that is even slightly tight or rough as it increases the symtoms (symptoms) on my arms  and torso to where i can't stand it, and even the sheets on my bed make the burning worse.  So I have to sleep with bare arms outside the covers which is also uncomfrotable as it is so cool here at night that my arms a really cold.  It is like all the nerves in my arm and upper torso are now hyper sensitive and firing on all cylinders.  When it gets really bad; if it gets warm or i get upset, i even experience Nuropathic pain which is like a raw burning pain.  I have scoured the internet, but can not find much on these symptoms when not accomanied by a rash.  Does anyone have these same symtoms (symptoms) and found a cure?
This is exactly what I am experiencing , 7/09/13 . This has been going on for 5 years . I don't have insurance so I have never even ask about it . Please did you find anything about your self ? I'ts 3 in the morning and I just put some icy hot on my arms to try and get some relief .  
My history is different but the symptoms sound similar. First of all I don't have any anxiety issues and lead a very healthy happy life with very little stress, however I was just diagnosed with hypoglycemia and that's being investigated further for the cause.

Quick med history, I've experienced a lot of physical trauma which caused neurological damage. Three years ago my left foot started getting pin/needles kind of numb, it spread to my other foot, then about a year ago the pins, needles started ascending up the legs. Three months ago I started feeling minor pins and needles in my arms. I have been diagnosed with neuropathy via EMG nerve conduction studies but it looks different than a normal poly neuropathy with axonal loss. My neurologist told me to let him know if there were any changes because it looks like something is developing.

Last year I had three episodes where I became what I call extremely ill. This year I have had 4 episodes in the last 6 weeks, each lasting 2-3 days with extreme symptoms with a slow recovery. This is how it occurs each time.

Flank pain
increased pin/needle/burning entire legs
Dizziness, weird taste in mouth and a weird smell, (like the smell of hot electronics) maybe metallic
Increased frequency in urination, sometimes frank polyuria
Thirst increases, but I don't drink abnormal amounts
pin/needle/itch/raw/burning feeling in arms, body, face, eyes
itch/raw/ burning inside of ears, mouth, lungs (new the last two episodes)
I begin feeling agitated at about this time
muscles begin to hurt extremely bad
As everything continues to increase nausea sets in, shakiness, severe fatigue, weakness and the pain literally become unbearable.
It feels like having the worse flu imaginable with neuropathy of the entire body thrown on top of it.

I have been screened for everything they can think of including mri of neck, brain and abdominal CT. I'm seeing an endocrinologist for the hypoglycemia and trying to stabilize long enough to have the 5 hr glucose tolerance test done so she can see what the other hormones/insulin are doing.

I saw my neurologist who is extremely good yet I felt hopeless afterward. He said that he has seen many patients with the exact same symptoms and nothing is going to show up in blood work or other tests. Medical science doesn't have any test to identify what is happening in these cases. Fibromyalgia is used when they can't identify were pain is coming from, but he said that diagnosis doesn't fit these cases. They don't know what causes is and the only treatment are medications like Gabapentine, sometimes antidepressants for pain, if their is an anxiety issue from the symptoms meds for that. He does not know if it will be better, remain the same or get worse. Fortunately it looks like the medication is working me me at this time. He said it doesn't work for everyone. I have found the only comfort is warm showers which seems to cancel out the pin/needle/burning sensations, IV morphine/valium and fluids when home meds (oxycodone) are unable to control the pain.

At least my primary care doc now knows what I mean by "really sick episodes" since she saw me in her office this week shaking and crying in agony. She and her office staff has seen me go through a ton of really tough incredibly painful stuff but had never seen me in this condition. I had always been to ill to see her during these times, but my husband brought me in this time.

She sent me to the E.R. because I was in way too much agony to go home.  BP and HR has been very increased for the last two months, I'm sure from pain but the other blood work from the ER came out good as I suspected it would. They gave me meds and fluids which helped and sent me home because they didn't know what else to do. The next morning I was in the same miserable shape.

I've had 1 1/2 days of relief and now it feels like I'm beginning another episode as I'm writing this, and I'm terrified. I've taken an extra dose of Gabapentine and valium for the dizziness- (which I don't always have). Once the symptoms have begun any stress, physical activity and heat makes it worse. I hope the extra meds will keep it at bay.

I don't have any answers yet but I'm going to keep searching because I can't live with "only medication can help." My blood sugar levels have been good and I'm on a very good diet to keep it in check. I'll continue to work with the endocrinologist, nutritionist and I'll be consulting with my immunologist. Something is causing this to happen and I know it's not in my head or even stress/depression/ mental illness related because those aren't factors in my life. I respect my neurologist but I'm not accepting his view.

I feel for you and hope through sharing we can eventually find some answers or at least things that help us. I wish you wellness.
I've had very similar symptoms and was ultimately diagnosed with fibromyalgia. My initial symptoms and "flares" were different back then and all these odd, multitude of sensations that I had I attrinute to the stress I was under, while wondering what the heck was wrong with me. Dizziness, lack of coordination, arm and leg pain alternating ( burning, swollen feeling in limbs at times), mental slowness and fatigue, etc.

Now that I know what it is and can use my energy wisely, the weird symptoms only show up if I over-exert myself or am overly stressed. Everday fatigue and pain remain. Often feel shaky, weak, and flu- like during flares as well. At times I feel like poison or detergent was injected into my tissue and muscles. Sounds weird, I know.

Hope you find out what's going on. Good luck!
Omg, I thought i was the only one with these sensations, when i try and explain it to people, they look at me like im crazy. its such a relief that im not alone after all. now i know how to explain it and what to tell my doc. WHEW blessed be.

Insane Burniing
hi am 24 and around my 15years old i use too go to the pool everyday in the summer and after  my on the side elbows use to get really hot itchy constantly but it would leave and come back in the hot. around 4months ago maybe i went to the pool and it started to  itchy bad felt burning hot. i would put aquaphor and antibiotic it only help for few minutes after itching wouldn't stop i scratched and scratched i bleed the more i have scratch the bigger its gotten since. now is around 2 inches long and i been putting alcohol to it and then cortisone cream i bought it was actually helping stopping a bit controlling somewhat it was better but still but in this three days i been driving long time sun hits right on the same arm get worse sweat heat humidity are being my worse enemy and i also often have low blood pressure and i have many system of  hypoglycemia i got this from reading all of the comments i get itchy on both of my arm but the one that get more sun heat is my left arm and my old car had air but this car doesn't preying to fix it tomorrow and i a mom and it frustrates me to be like this during day im house taxi and night at work retail lot  pressure i have search every possible thing that could be i lost count my little the eczema but i don't like mine before i scratch it look more skin color bit lighter lil tiny bumpy the skin when i scratch is pinkish and inflammation  if i poke it turn white for seconds and back to color pink i hold the crazy fire itching is bad and people ask what wrong with me im terrified thinking is something really serious since in my both my grandparents have died caused of different type of cancer and my mother health is not very good at all low blood pressure everyday . we both get same body system dizziness, fatigue, headaches  cold sweat  chills and shakiness but she doesn't get the that itchy thing. in some what is all. my skin with the tingling sensation burning and itching driving me nuts.  connected with nervous, heat, humidity summer, sweat .i to find a solution to this problem .hope all of you too.
Hi. My itching started when I moved to a farm and started drinking Pasturised milk. I started to get eczema on the backs of my legs. I stopped drinking the milk but the itching didnt stop. One of my boobs started itching really bad and I have just had a baby so i thought it may of been thrush. I treated it but it kept itching. Then it started on the insides of my arms and as well as the itching and burning I got little bumbs. then it spread to my chest and other breast. Ive itched my breast so much ive actully bruised and broken the capillary veins on my breast and now have these hideious 'hicky' like bruises. Im getting so sick of this itching and it gets increasinly worse at night to the point where im getting around 2-3 hours of sleep if that. Which is not easy to run on when ive got a 18 month old, a new born and a man child to run around after. Please if anyone has any advice I will lap it up!

Help!
Hi, just thought I'd share. When I moved to a cold new climate I started developing this prickly, burning itch all over my back and butt. My thighs and elbows too. At first I thought it was an allergic reaction to the laundry detergent or fabric softener I was using, but later on it just turned out to be severely dry and irritated skin from the cold dry air and hot showers. I know this won't apply to many out there but for some of you who live in dry places, use topical or oral medicine that dry out or irritate the skin, have a history of dry skin, etc. You might try using a good moisturizer. Different people respond to different types of moisturizer so don't assume there is a "best". You don't get immediate and total elimination of it, but it helps substantially within the first application (possible longer if you have been suffering for a longer time) and gradually reduces it to be an occasional nuisance rather than an ongoing discomfort.

If you have a visible skin disease, it would probably be a better idea to test it out in small patches first to make sure there's no reaction.

I totally forgot about this until today because I caught a viral infection which gave me red splotches all over and I've been using calamine lotion for it. It wasn't itchy at first but as the days went by I developed this burning prickling itch. Which is when I remembered about dry skin feeling like this. The irony is that many topicals for itching skin can actually dry out skin more, making the prickling worse.
The last year I have been having burning itchy skin, mainly my hands and feet. When it starts its hard to stop. White lumps appear the only relief I have is ice. I  used somany different creams but to no avail. I've had blood test done and found that I have B12 difitiontsie(sorry for spelling). I have type 2 diabetes and kidney disease.  My doctor is at a loss please help.
My wife struggled with these symptoms as well! From grabbing cold jars and tins in the fridge...it disrupted our sleep like you wouldn't believe. We tried everything under the sun until a colleague told me about a day cream by mo skincare, I bought her a tester tub and wow it worked. It's a cream made for eczema, dry and irritated skin that works wonders, try it!
Im 21 an electrician (crawl through dirty rooves with insulation) and have had this condition for the last 4 odd months. The first night i remember it was whilst laying down in bed watching movies, its been a hot summer the whole time ive had it, quite humid too. Always occurs at night time, not necessarily because its hot but quite often it is. Though i am always itchy from insulation this is a different itch as its in the same spot (on my chest below neck). Going to try this b12 vitamins first, no drinking caffeine and trying some moisturiser on then let you know on my findings.
Whenever i do some work,but body heats up, and i feel prickly itchiness on my head, chest and back, seems as if needles are prickling.. Only thing i could figure out was that it might be due to lack of sweat coming out of my body as i live in a cold place and here body doesn't sweat that much, moreover my skin i s very sensitive if i scratch my body the skin gets blood red. Blood reports show every thing normal. No idea what it might be. Need help if anyone has the same problem!!!!!!
I have had burning prickly skin for the past 10 years. It seems like it gets worse in the Fall as the weather starts changing and I live in a dry cold climate. But as I have gotten older now 54 years old the burning prickly itchy skin has gotten worse. The itching is mostly on arms, legs, back and tongue. I have tried Vitamin B6, all creams with steriods, antihistamines nothing works. Had problems with ALT and AST levels being high but they are now back to normal and problems still does not go away. Like others before I can hardly stand to wear clothes and scalp is so sore at times hard to lay head on pillow. Allergist did show 13.5 to 15 level on Tryptase level but antihistamines don't help.
My girlfriend and I had this same rash for about four or five months and stumbled across some information that made sense. There are lots of heavy metals in our air right now from the marshmellow snakes in the sky. When you eat gluten, these metals which we are breathing in are pushed out from our skeletal and muscular matter through our skin, which is what causes the itching that everyone is experiencing. Start taking borax. It is a naturally occurring mineral and it binds itself with heavy metals and pulls them from your system as well as helps regulate the hypothallamus, which is also responsible for the body's usage of minerals. 20 Mule Team is the common brand in U.S grocery stores. Start out with one eighth of a tsp dissolved in a litre of water and dranken throughout the day for five days a week. You may gradually increase the amounts after some time. You would need to eat at least a whole box of borax to overdose on it, though the taste is a little strange! Not only will this clear up your skin but it will also increase your energy levels, open your nerve pathways, clear your mind, improve your memory, increase the lucidity of your dreams, increase your sexual vitality, open your endocerine system, strengthen your bones and joints and elevate your mood! : )... Spread the word if you will!
Oh yes. And there is one catch... :( It will be necessary to stop eating gluten as well if you want to completely discontinue the rash since it is the gluten that carries the metals through the skin. This way the boron will instead carry the metals out through your urine. If this diet is too strict for you, take it up with your government, who are the ones spraying the marshmallow snakes in the sky (the lines of cloud that come from certain air planes).
I have been seeing my doctor about this miserable itchy prickly skin over the last few years.He's run the regular blood tests,but nothing has shown as abnormal .The tests that you mentioned in your commentary,are they available "As requested by patient" tests? My Doctor seems pretty apathetic about there being a solution,but obviously it's urgent to me ! The stress from these intense itching attacks and combined with lack of sleep, its really wearing me down emotionally and mentally.With the frequency of these attacks escalating exponentially over the last year, I need some kind of proactive plan.
  What would you recommend for a plan of action for seeing a specialist? I don't know if I should try an Allergist first, a Dermatologist, a Neurologist ? What I'm asking ,is there a protocol as to the order in which they should be seen. I'm about to take the lead on this, since my GP doesn't seem to be very motivated, and my Insurance doesn't require referrals.
I have had the same symptoms for a very long time. The sensation comes on during the summer moths and goes away when it cools off. Last year I could not take it any longer and went to see my doctor, I was prescribed Selenium Sulfide lotion. Helps a bit, but still getting those horrible pricks, burning, itchiness symptoms. Nothing visible. Have gotten rid of yours?

Shawn
I could also relate to Carolynbph.  I have gotten this same itching for about 6 summers.  It comes in the summer, in August or early Sept.  It often starts after a week at the beach.  Interestingly my sister and I both started getting the itching after a vacation to Hilton Head.  The private pool at the house had turned green and was shocked clean while we were there.  I attributed it to that that first year.

It is only on my arms....just below my shoulder to aan inch or so above my wrist.  It is a burning, tingly itch that worsens with scratching.  I do get bumps if I scratch that are hard bumps and after scratching they are concave....like a little volcano.  

I will say that using coconut oil on it helps the itching a lot!!!  But you have to keep applying. I slather up before getting into bed and  I usually get up 1-2 times a night and just reapply.  I take coconut oil with me and apply as needed.  Luckily with warm weather I do not worry about greasing up my clothing!  If I can keep the itchy feeling away I am more comfortable.  It usually goes away by the end of October.
Thank you for that, as I have now rheumatoid arthritis for the last two years
no one my symptoms is the same as what you explain in your blog.

I will look into the vitamin B 12 therapy.
And yes it really feels like a burning inside doesn't it?

Here back shortly, should you like to respond

It can really keep you from getting a restful night sleep
as it appears to come on more so heavily in the night-time.

Warm regards johannes

Warm regards johannes

Warm regards johannes
I, like everyone else has suffered from prickly itch or pins and needles which ever you choose to call it.  Mine started in November 1994 just before Thanksgiving and lasted for about 6 or 7 months.  It was the sensation of being stuck with pins and needles and the only way to stop it was to cool my body down.  It reaccured in 2004 around the same time, but this time I went to my PCP and he sent me to a dermatologist who didn't have a clue so he prescribed medicated lotion which didn't work.  It returned this past February 2014 but this time I was determined to find out what is causing this problem.  My PCP sent me to an allergist and everything was normal.  I requested to see a neurologist and first he was perplexed but then he thought he knew what the problem was.  He also prescribed 800mg Gabapentin to stop the itching.  It actually stopped it by 90%.    I have been researching my problem and I think I found it.  "Small Fiber Sensory Neuropathy".   Please everyone google this and see if the stated symptoms are the same as the ones you are experiencing.   The neurologist sent me to have my small fiber nerves tested.  I found out when my body gets hot my brain sends a signal to the small fiber nerves to open the pores, the nerves are not getting the signal.  There is a communicating breakdown.  In other words, I can't sweat, this is what's causing the rash and prickly itch.  the sweat is caught under the skin and can't be released.  I also found out if you're experiencing the feeling of something crawling on your skin, that's what it might be but it could also be small electrical impulses from your brain to your nerve fiber endings.  For those of you that haven'y seen a Neurologist, go see one and tell them about "small fiber sensory neuropathy".  I hope this helps.  I pray God's Grace and His peace on everyone.